PLEASE, SOMEONE WHO KNOWS FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE REPLY TO THIS!!!!! I am a 38 year old female who is married with 4 daughters and I have been "secretly" addicted to Norco, and Vicodin for the past 3-5 years. I am surprised that I am not in jail or dead, I have "doctor shopped" way to many times and I take 30-40 pills a day depending on their strength. Anyway, I was watching that "Celebrity Rehab" show with the famous "Dr. Drew" guy and one of the ladies mentioned Suboxone so I decided to research it online and yesterday after not taking any pills for 12 hours I went to a doctor who put me on 8mg yesterday, I am to take 12mg today, and 16mg thereafter. I must say I was quite surprised to have instantaneous relief from withdrawals, that is aside from a headache and a feeling of hyperness (which I hate but the Dr. said it will pass). Anyway, I have read about suboxone being addictive and I don't want to trade one addiction for another. What I personally want to know is if I stay on suboxone for a week will I withdraw from it? What if I take a lower dose than what the Dr. prescribes, say 8 or 12mg instead of 16mg? Will it make a difference as far as becoming dependent? Why do people take suboxone for a short period of time just to take more pain pill? Doesn't that have no effect, and wouldn't it make them sick? It seems pretty stupid. My thing is I am pretty sure I will be alright for taking suboxone for a week or 2 to get over withdrawals from Norco, but I don't want to make a mistake. I DON'T WANT TO BE ON SUBOXONE FOR A LONG TIME!!!!! I also get the feeling that the doctor I saw is there for the money only I was rushed and you know in your gut when your being BSe'd. I am only going to get the suboxone to help me get off the pills so whatever, but I am serious about quitting pills I am sick of the lies, games, and I don't even get "HIGH" from them anymore. I mean if your taking 30-40 a day and don't get high what the hell is the point? Pills have changed me soo much, I am mean, moody, anxious, no patience, lethargic, basically a b***h. I have turned into a bad mom and wife and I can't do it anymore. PLEASE, SOMEONE WHO HAS BEEN THERE AND KNOWS THE TRUE FACTS FROM EXPERIENCE PLEASE RESPOND TO THIS A.S.A.P. I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IT. THANK YOU.

Hi, I read your post....I started Suboxone yesterday, I personally have had two back surgeries (I am now 31) was on everything from Lortab, Vicodin, Percocet, Pain Patches, Oxy's & Morphine. I was prescribed A LOT of morphine, I weened myself down but was still on a lot. And then I left my husband because after really thinking I was self medicating some emotional issues. Of course I have had withdrawls and they are just awful & painful. I am only on 4 mg a day right now, I may need it bumped up because i have noticed it wheres off in about 6 hours. I also watch Celebrity Rehab; the most important advice I can give you is to talk to a drug dependency counselor. Something in your life made you love vicodin/norco's, if your being totally honest with yourself then really think about what is making you unhappy. You can't fix the problem with out acknowledging or trying to find out what the problem stems from. I really hope that you can get clean & stay that way. Your kids will be so much more happier. But I know how you feel. Just becareful because I too have heard that Suboxone can be addicting.

First off let me clarify that although Suboxone is considered a controlled substance and does contain an opiate factor, it is non-addictive and most patients gradually ween down on the medication until they are back to normal (without any effort for weening). The primary active ingredient in SUBOXONE is buprenorphine. Because buprenorphine is a partial opioid agonist, its opioid effects are limited compared with those produced by full opioid agonists, such as oxycodone or heroin. SUBOXONE also contains naloxone, an opioid antagonist. The naloxone prevents you from getting high from any other opioid substance. There are so many other things I could go into about the healing factor of your brain and what's going on inside of your body while you use this medication... but you would be better off reading about it online or talking to your own doctor.

The medication does wonders... I myself was hooked on Oxycontin and MS contin for 9 years. This did substantial damage to my body and the withdrawals were unbearable. Suboxone saved my life and pushed me into my current life's career. There are many ignorant people that don't understand what they're talking about, but as a Doctor that specializes in this field AND a patient I can tell you... You are on the right path to recovery.

The dosage and time on the medication varies based on how much damage was done to your brain. Prescription pain killers are more harmful on your brain than any street opiate (mostly). The longer you have been on them... the longer the damage has been done. People also get confused about the withdrawal that Suboxone may or may not cause. We are conducting more recent studies and finding out some alarming (but INFORMATIVE results). Some of these withdrawal symptoms people are experiencing aren't withdrawal symptoms at all. Apparently some people are born with a natural chemical imbalance within the dopamine region of the brain. You could of felt like this your whole life and not noticed until you started taking pain medication and it made you feel normal for the first time in your life. This is the reason why there are so many mixed stories with suboxone. The facts are here... it is a narcotic, and it varies person to person. TRUTH is, the chemical buprenorphine is NOT as addictive or as harmful as vicodine/oxycontin/norco etc. so the withdrawal is actually manageable.

If you want to take the safe route... work a path with your doctor. Go to meetings and talk and discuss your feelings out in the open. The majority of addicts believe that meetings are a waste of time and that they can do this on their own. This is the biggest mistake of all, trust me. I am an addict and a Doctor specializing in addictionology.

As far as steps to take... I will break it down for you.

STEP 1: Calm down.. you're on the right path right now. Take a deep breath... although you have a tough road ahead of you, it's nothing to fear.

STEP 2: As mentioned earlier... the mental aspect of this process is just as important as the physical. You want to get involved with meetings; find a sponsor. Consider sharing with your family what you're going through. It's best in these situations that you don't feel isolated and alone. They should understand and be compassionate for what you're going through.

STEP 3 Take as much Suboxone as your doctor has you on. Follow the directions.. no more than needed... but less if you think you can handle less. In any case of using a narcotic substance... less is always better.

Take these three steps and you will be fine. In my clinic we just had a lady that was in the same situation you and many other people were in. She was on 32mg a day... after ONE year she was down to 3mg a day... then a couple weeks passed and she was taking ONE mg. Then she just stopped and wrote us a letter thanking us for giving her life back. Take it one day at a time. I wish the best for you and hope you a quick and safe recovery.

Dr. Thomas

]PLEASE, SOMEONE WHO KNOWS FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE REPLY TO THIS!!!!! I am a 38 year old female who is married with 4 daughters and I have been "secretly" addicted to Norco, and Vicodin for the past 3-5 years. I am surprised that I am not in jail or dead, I have "doctor shopped" way to many times and I take 30-40 pills a day depending on their strength. Anyway, I was watching that "Celebrity Rehab" show with the famous "Dr. Drew" guy and one of the ladies mentioned Suboxone so I decided to research it online and yesterday after not taking any pills for 12 hours I went to a doctor who put me on 8mg yesterday, I am to take 12mg today, and 16mg thereafter. I must say I was quite surprised to have instantaneous relief from withdrawals, that is aside from a headache and a feeling of hyperness (which I hate but the Dr. said it will pass). Anyway, I have read about suboxone being addictive and I don't want to trade one addiction for another. What I personally want to know is if I stay on suboxone for a week will I withdraw from it? What if I take a lower dose than what the Dr. prescribes, say 8 or 12mg instead of 16mg? Will it make a difference as far as becoming dependent? Why do people take suboxone for a short period of time just to take more pain pill? Doesn't that have no effect, and wouldn't it make them sick? It seems pretty stupid. My thing is I am pretty sure I will be alright for taking suboxone for a week or 2 to get over withdrawals from Norco, but I don't want to make a mistake. I DON'T WANT TO BE ON SUBOXONE FOR A LONG TIME!!!!! I also get the feeling that the doctor I saw is there for the money only I was rushed and you know in your gut when your being BSe'd. I am only going to get the suboxone to help me get off the pills so whatever, but I am serious about quitting pills I am sick of the lies, games, and I don't even get "HIGH" from them anymore. I mean if your taking 30-40 a day and don't get high what the hell is the point? Pills have changed me soo much, I am mean, moody, anxious, no patience, lethargic, basically a b***h. I have turned into a bad mom and wife and I can't do it anymore. PLEASE, SOMEONE WHO HAS BEEN THERE AND KNOWS THE TRUE FACTS FROM EXPERIENCE PLEASE RESPOND TO THIS A.S.A.P. I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IT. THANK YOU.

Dr. Thomas

You have a bunch of misinformation in your post. First, if Suboxone is taken properly the Naloxone is not abosrbed, it is only present as a deterrent from people using the drug illicitly. You said "The naloxone prevents you from getting high from any other opioid substance." That's not true, what prevents people on Suboxone from getting high from other opiods is the active ingredient (buprenorphine). It has a very high affinity and binds to the mu opioid receptors so that other opioids can't. Secondly, and this is from personal experience, Suboxone withdrawl (meaning, when one goes from 16mg to 0mg) sucks if you've been on it for a while. I went from 16mg to nada after taking it for six months. After two days I had the worst withdrawl I've ever had, I've been on 300mg+ of oxy a day and stopped and that was nothing. Buprenorphine is a very, very strong opiate. That isn't to say that don't think people should take it, on the contrary, it saved my life. Also, there is no such thing as a "dopamine region of the brain", dopamine is a neurotransmitter (which incidentally is produced in several different areas of the brain).

It seems like you took a while to compose this post, I have advice and can talk to you. This is too complicated to email. I have no problem having you email me a burningtime.,com as I know so much about Suboxoe and Purdue Pharmaceuticals. For now you should try the system that Purehealthgroup offers. It saved me.