I have experienced on several occasions in the past couple of months episodes of getting a bite of food stuck in my esophagus, which triggers immediate burning pain when I repeatedly tried to swallow to get it to pass down, even after sipping liquid, which actually seemed to make the burning worse. As soon as this began, I also experienced what I would call violent hiccups. This went on the last time for at least 10 minutes, before I guess it passed down the esophagus, finally.
It was scary, because I thought I was going to have to ask for emerency help to get it to stop. I am a 55 year old female, and I don't think this is the same as heartburn. I very rarely experience what I think of as heartburn. This is more like the food gets stuck and it burns because it is stretching my esophagus?? I am scared to death that it is cancer or something awful.

Hi, I am 62 years old and had the same problem a few days ago. While searching for an answeer i saw your question. Did you find an answer to your problem? I am also scared that it could be the strat of some sort of cancer.  Please let me know what your problem was dignosed as. Thanks.