For about a week now I have had the sensation that something is stuck in my esophagus when I swallow. It goes away at night when I'm sleeping and reappears intermittently as the day goes on. Something I feel a tightening around the area, but I have no other symptoms. It is not painful, just annoying. Doesn't bother me when I eat and I can breath normally and it doesn't cause me to cough although it makes me feel like clearing my throat.

I do have some mild allergy symptoms, sneezing and a bit of a headache, but I do not normally take allergy medication since they are very minor.

I did go out of town for the weekend and left the Phoenix, Arizona area and went south almost to Mexico, and while I was there it completely disappeared. Maybe a coincidence, but now that I'm back home it is just as annoying as it was all last week. Could this be some sort of allergy manifesting itself? I have an app't with an ENT on April 11th since my primary doctor could not see anything obvious, but now I'm wondering if this is something as simple as an allergy?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Michele :-)

I have had the same problem for the last 2 weeks. It is not painful, but is not quite annoying. I took Claritin, after which it nearly went completely away, but it still lingers today.

Please let me know if you find something to address this

Hi guys,

I have the exact same problem and thought it might be related to my allergies! If you hear anything about this please let me know
Thanks
G

**edited by moderator**

hello

I am 8 weeks pregnant and experiencing same issue...goes away at night, uncomfortable during day. Has anyone got any confirmation on suppose cause or help for this...tums does not seem to help!

i do have allergies too, this week i star feeling that there is an air bubble in my esophagus and its hard to swallow, they say it might be related to my allergies or might be an acid related problem. but whats crazy my girlfriend just found out that its related to stress. please let me know what was the outcome

Hello!
I've been experiencing this as well and I asked my grampa to explain it to me - it's a vegetative reaction, mainly to stress.

so try to relax, it will go away eventually

Hey,

Read your posts and I have been experiencing these same symptoms for about a week now.

I have tried taking some acid reducers (tums) but do not feel any better. I am pretty certain that it is in my esophagus because it is hurts only when I swallow my food. (I feel the pain in the middle of my back / chest area)

I took some allergy med. last night to see if that would help, but no luck so far. Let me know if you find anything that works!

Thanks

I have had the same problem, but mine is only every once in a while. It feels like a giant bubble down my throat. It feels like I need to burp, but can't. Every time I swallow, the bubble gets bigger. Usually drinking a 7-up or Sprite helps. I am going to mention it to my Dr. when I see him.

yes my throat has been feeling like a hand is sqweezing it everytime i swallow i drink plenty of fluids and it still feels like no matter what i do i cant get any relief... it also feels scratchy and i once in a while cough like i cant get air not to menbtion my gland feels swallen but no pain .. so im at a loss i have a doc appointment can any one ease my dwelling till i see the ent on the 5th of feb ........... i keep thinking i have throat cancer and no matter what i do there is a stinging feeling .....but it doesnt hurt

Same issue here, But in my reading and attempts to bust this mystery i'm afraid the answer may be parasite, lung worm to be be more precise. At worst case this may be the spread of the rat lungworm from hawaii to the mainlands of usa. Im going to see the doc tonight after the reading of this evenings venue. =P And never eating a salad again!!!!

Ladies, have your thyroids checked!

All of these symptoms sound like laryngopharyngeal reflux (LPR), also called "silent reflux" because the person does not experience heartburn.  When acid comes up the esophagus (as little as 3 times in a week) and into the pharynx, it will ofen spill into the larynx, causing the need to clear throat, hoarseness, phlegm, or globus (feeling like something is in throat).  Although the problem is reflux, often it needs to be treated aggressively (PPIs 2 times per day rather than 1) with medication and dietary changes.  Medication alone will not fix the problem, because PPIs (Nexium, Prilosec, Prevacid) are not antacids....they turn off your body's acid producers, but do not neutralize acid that is ingested.  So, if you continue to drink OJ or soft drinks, the medication will probably not get rid of the problem completely.  Also, some people have a problem with the valve that closes between the esophagus and the stomach, and they continue to reflux stomach contents despite being on the medication due to the valve opening inappropriately. 

People do not often believe they have reflux because they do not experience heartburn.  But, if someone stays on the medications for a few months (must take PPIs all of the time, not as needed), reduce acid intake, and reduce things that make the LES valve open when it isn't supposed to (caffeine, smoking, alcohol, mints) the "lump in the throat" will most likely go away.  That said, a physician should always be consulted to rule out a larger problem ahead of time. 

Just reading your blog and I have the identical symptoms.
Were you ever diagnosed with anything?
Would love to hear your outcome...
-karen

I think everyone on this list should consider getting checked for Achalasia, sounds like some may be in the early stages and chances are most do not have it, but it is really worth getting checked. I had to have many endoscopes, meds, feeding tube, and major surgery because I let it progess to far

Go see your doctor for caring out loud, ask someone who knows..