For about a week now I have had the sensation that something is stuck in my esophagus when I swallow. It goes away at night when I'm sleeping and reappears intermittently as the day goes on. Something I feel a tightening around the area, but I have no other symptoms. It is not painful, just annoying. Doesn't bother me when I eat and I can breath normally and it doesn't cause me to cough although it makes me feel like clearing my throat.

I do have some mild allergy symptoms, sneezing and a bit of a headache, but I do not normally take allergy medication since they are very minor.

I did go out of town for the weekend and left the Phoenix, Arizona area and went south almost to Mexico, and while I was there it completely disappeared. Maybe a coincidence, but now that I'm back home it is just as annoying as it was all last week. Could this be some sort of allergy manifesting itself? I have an app't with an ENT on April 11th since my primary doctor could not see anything obvious, but now I'm wondering if this is something as simple as an allergy?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Michele

This is so interesting reading everyone's complaints especially the swallowing issues.
I had my surgery on July 11, 2007 and used my own bone graft from the hip. That and the horrible sore throat and swelling in the throat was worse then my neck. I also got sick on the pain meds. After I got home after 4 days in the hospital I stayed on Extra Strength Tylenol and Xanax for the anxiety. I am STILL having problems with the swallowing. Almost all the time it feels as though something is stuck in my throat and a feeling of suffocating (in the area below the adams apple but above treahea). I strongly recommend physical therapy for range of motion of the head and she also exercises the muscles in the neck and then the sensation of not being able to swallow goes away but does not last long. I was at the emergency room the other night and am having an endoscopy on Monday. Als had a barium swallow. My physical therapist also recommended a speech therapist to help with swallowing. I don'[t understand why the doctor'[s can't give a definitive answer as to why I have these problems. PHYSICAL THERAPY IS THE BEST PART OF THIS TREK. My range of motion is getting better but the swallowing part is horrible. Maybe I'll go back to pastina (I'[m Italian), sherbert, or ice cream. Please someone tell me it will get better. I['ll let you know what the endoscopy shows, if anything.

Rose Ann

This is to reply to mbalmer, Michelle. I am guessing that you are an embalmer. I am too and I have been experiencing the same symptoms as you. I am sure that breathing in those fumes are horrible and cancerous for our health. My Dr. says that there are no studies done on our occupation and the health risks. All I know is that my health has gone downhill. I can't eat solid food without feeling that I might choke to death. I have headaches and sinus pressure all of the time. I also have backpain if standing for a few hours, and I feel as if I have chronic fatigue sysndrom. For others with anxiety - I was also diagnosed with dysthymic disorder (dysthimia). I didn't know there was a name for it, but it doesn't mention anything about trouble/painful swallowing.

Its really funny that you posted this because the exact same thing is happening to me and has been ongoing for the last 4 months!!!! It is either A LOT better now- or now that i'm used to it, it doesn't scare me as much- so i've relaxed!!!

It feels like a big glob of goo stuck in my throat and when I swallow I feel a click (no clue) like maybe i'm swallowing too hard or something- I can't describe it- I feel crazy when I try to- LOL! At first I was freaked so it felt like my throat was tightening and I couldn't breath. I'd go into panic at times (so ridiculous0 oh well).

It happened to start right after a horrible hive outbreak that even steroids could not control (think it was due to my new IUD I had put in a little time before- but who knows) I sometimes think it was caused by the prednesone too. I only include these because maybe someone had similar circumstances- because its crazy how one day you're fine and the next you are wondering if you have esophogeal cancer!!!!

Well this is still going on and I guess i'm going to go ahead and get a endoscope done (I HATE ANESTHISIA- AHHHHH) the barium swallow showed nothing and so did the ultra sound of my thyroid and surrounding tissue...... Good luck- hope yours has cleared up by now.....

Hi everyone this is kinda funny reading this stuff but the same thing just happened to me about 3 days ago now im freaking out. i cant swallow and when i do i feel like i have mucus stuck up there that doesnt want to go down. what is it and will it go away? its true it goes away while im sleeping and when i wake up the swallowing starts getting worse as the time goes. i feel like not myslef and weird. i thought i was going crazy thinking that i might eventually clog up my esophogus...please help and tell me whats going on in there.

Jessica

I have had this same issue for the past 2 weeks, started while I was eating at a restaurant and caused a panic attack, though i was eventually able to swallow and it relaxed some but since then i have had this feeling most days. It truely feels like something is stuck in my esophagus but the doctor just thought I was crazy. I do have allergy symptoms so I suspect that is the cause but this is new and I have had these allergies for years. I just happen to have been traveling a lot this year between Boston and Austin and the allergies are significantly different between the two. Wish I coudl figure this out because it does cause panic attacks for me after awhile.

Heya,
I'm Amy, sixteen, And wondering if anyone could help me?

Yesterday me and some Friends met up to talk, have a beer and some cigarettes, we also downed a cupple of shots (Not bragging here, just letting you know of everything just incase it'll help the diagnosis.)
I woke up the morning after with a weird sensation in my throat and my adam's apple.

It feels like there is something stuck in my throat when I swallow and it feels weird in my throat when I breathe..

I have no idea whats wrong, and I'm unsure of whether to worry or not..
Could anybody help me?
Thank you for your time and consideration in reading this:)
Amy x

hello .... i have the same problem for the last 3 years.i have seen two different consultants but neither can give me any answer.i had numerous tests and scans ,its driving me crazy.its like a peanut stuck in the left side of my throat.it would be great if you could keep me informed on your situation.all the best coby

I'm not a health expert however I do have a similar problem, choking can be a terrifying thing, always stay relaxed as possible and stay calm. The fear of choking is real problem that affect many people and is psychological. If your air passage is Not swollen shut or there is No solid object caught in your throat there is a very good chance that your natural instincts to cough, hack and move around is enough to fix the problem. If you can't move air at all or your throat is swollen closed, Stay calm! Seek the nearest help Immediately!!
Swollen tonsils is a strong indication of bacteria or viral infection known as tonsillitis. I have not had mine removed this would normally cause a soar throat and your throat can produce a fluid from the swollen glands. The fluid May then cause bad breath, constipation, weakness and fatigue and other soreness or flu like symptoms back of the throat may appear red and have white spots often resolved by antibiotics.
Acid reflux is also common possibility, when saliva or mucus is swallowed stomach acid can prevent mucus to go down properly. Night time sleeping may be interrupted by choking and gasping for air from mucus build up. Acid may cause heart burn (slight discomfort or pain in chest), burping and feeling of gas build up is common. Acid reflux is often related to food that are greasy and fatty such as fried food, meats, chips, pop, coffee etc.. causing too much stomach acid and escapes to the esophagus, often helped by antacids like Tums.
Allergies are very common and the humans body can produce an allergic reaction that can cause mucus build up and throat swelling. Can be trigger suddenly by pollen, chemicals, smoke, tobacco, dust, gases and smog that can build up and affect over time, Many different foods or product used every day can be considered.
Yeast infection in the mouth is very very common and often overlooked causing thick mucus and cottonmouth
With all cases stress and weakened immune system from eating rich, fatty and fried foods, sugar and lack of water are the root problems. Eat lots of vegetables and fruits in a balanced diet -reduce fried food
- Try reducing dairy products no cheese (small amounts of aged cheese only) -this will help reduce bacterias.
-Reduce any or all sugar products. This is what rots your body and feeds bacteria and disease.
-Stay away from cigarettes, smoke, dust, chemicals, or any allergens when possible.
-For your throat try "Rinsing" mouth with salt water or try water with a slice lemon or lime as a beverage- will help eliminate bacteria.
-Most important drink lots and lots of pure simple water (no coffee and pop) -this is to loosen mucus.
-Exercise for a healthy body and immune system.

Please: always consult with a real doctor when possible because your health is important :-D

I have had this condition (food stuck in my esophagus) for 20 years. I have had meat extracted from my esophagus (my esophagus closed around the meat). I have spent numerous nights in the restroom extracting the meat myself from the esophagus (by self-induced vomitting). I have had my esophagus enlarged three times and THEN ...I had a biopsy taken of my throat and the parts per hundred of allergens in my throat were astronomical (even days after an attack). My doctor prescribed Nexium. If you suffer from this condition, you need Nexium. It works! I have NOT had an attack in one year, since I have been on Nexium every other day.

Mbalmer,

Can you update us about your current condition..? I feel the exactly same way no pain but irritation when swallowing saliva! When eating I feel very comfortable.. Any updates would be appreciated..

hi , i have the same symptoms exactly as yours, i feel that click in my throat when i swallow.

i was wondering when this started like 2 years ago when i was fixing my new apartment and there was a lot of dust and gypsum dust i wanted to know if you were near any dusty sites during the time u have been suffering from this unknown annoying thing?

thank you

andy

Whenever I drink a beer, Shiner Bock, which made happen in particular tonight, but happens occasionally when drinking beer, only on bad gulps, my chest feels on the verge of an alien busting out of it, no joke, but it's only painful at the moment to intake any liquid and it's never been this painful for this long, so any idea's?

I have had these symptoms for 5 years, when swallowing I get intense pain or food getting stuck in the oesophagus for 1/2 an hour or so and you can't swallow water to wash it down even. You can breath normally, just a painful swallowing process. I also have to drink water or coke with every meal just about to ensure the food goes down. I just had an endoscopy by a Gastroenterologist and they have diagnosed "erosive oesophagitis" which can be easily treated with Nexium. So see your doctor, get the specialist to run tests and it is curable!!!! yeah.

And here I thought I was unique to this problem.  I was having this issue, minus the pain, for many years. Also I never did get food lodged in my esophagus, just the sensation.  Sleep did seem to take it away.  Finally I went to a GI specialist and had an endoscopy done.  The results were inconclusive, however, I have not had the problem since the endoscopy.  My doctor insists that one had nothing to do with the other, all I know is that I don't have the problem anymore.

Now unfortunately my 12 year old son is faced with the same problem that you guys all describe.  He gets food lodged in his esophagus all the time.  His pediatrian thought it might be Achlasia, this is proving to be not so especially given that he does not have many of the symptoms of achlasia and the Barium Swallow test indicates otherwise.  I did some research on Achlasia and I do believe from what I read that many of your comments seem to have a lot of similarities to this problem.  So I urge you all to google "Achlasia" and see what you think.

Good luck everyone and I hope you all find a solution soon.