Hi there. Today, very quickly, I began to feel as if something were stuck in my throat. At first it was just uncomfortable, but now it is causing pain in my back and neck when I swallow. Granted, I have had a bad back/neck for a few months now. But this is ridiculous! When I press the spot on my throat that feels blocked, it is painful and often sends jabbing pain to my shoulderblade. The spot is just above my collarbone, slightly to the right of center. It only hurts the right side of my back, and occasionally my neck. I saw a general doctor today,and he had no idea what it was. He said it may have to do with acid reflux... I'm not so sure. Any second opinions?

Also- I don't know, but it may be related to my anxiety disorder as that often manifests itself in physical ways.

Hey there.

I have the same situation as you. I have this constant feeling of a lump in throat that just doesn't want to go away. I am kind of tired because of it is boring and it is killing me. 

I was never dealing with stress or anxiety at all and my friends keep telling me that this could be the main reason. So, I believed them but it looks like that this is not the case.

Now, it has been 4 months until I have issues with it and I think that I am a little bit scared now.

I don't know should I see my doctor right now or....

Hello. I actually started with pretty much the same thing 2 or 3 days ago. It doesn't hurt my throat when i swallow like when you have a sore throat but hurts when food or just plain old saliva go down (almost feels like my food,pills or anything else is just stopping in my chest). For me its almost like its hitting my chest and my back and feels like it stops right about at the sternum. It also hurts bad after i burp. I also started today with the shoulder pain into the neck and back. I suffer from anxiety for a few years now and this never happened to me before. I have had trouble breathing and stuff like that but doesn't feel the same. I am calling my dr tomorrow to get and appointment. I don't know if I make sense but Its hard to describe the feeling i am getting. I tried taking zantac and even gas relief pills but it did not help.

Hey guys! wow...good to know im not alone! same thing happened to me 4 days ago...i actually went to the emergency room and they did a CT scan to see if anything was actually stuck, and there was nothing to my surprise. he diagnosed me with "esophageal irritation" and gave me a prescription for a liqiud medicine to treat ulcers (that was over $50!) it is now a full day since the ER and i dont feel any better. ive also had an annoying headache since the same day the chest/back pain started with the feeling of a lump in my throat. the headache wont go away with pain relievers :-( the doc said that if it doesnt get better that i should make an appointment with a gastroenterologist (sp?) to see whats really going on. i eat healthy, dont smoke....it just came out of nowhere. i also have an anxiety problem.....but this is all very strange.

you appear to have a muscle spasmthat is wrapped in between 2 nerves at the base of your neck. these nerves at the base of the neck affect your senses thus leading to headaches, sore throat, funny tastes and about any other general sympton.i was diagnosed with brachius nervitus (or something that sounded like that!) and had two sessions of physio and given some exercises which really helped. the strangest sympton was an extreme painaround my back to my ribcage, where it hurt to take a breath. hope this helps as my G.P wasn't forthcoming with details, but the physio was great.

I don't suppose you could describe some of those exercises? I just started feeling those very same symptoms today, and I'm worried. I'm hoping it's just a strained neck, but if it's something more, I'm heading to the doctor tomorrow.

I awoke with the feeling of something stuck in my neck and throat area. Hurts to touch between the neck tendon and the esophagus on my left side only. I suspect it is caused by GERD/reflux. I take the once a month BONIVA 150 mg pill and sometimes can tell I have acid reflux during the month. Have to watch my intake at night and how late I eat or drink anything.

:O :-D its good to hear that i am not alone or crazy. The first time i experienced this is when i was like ten years old. i woke up in the middle of the night moaning in pain, i could not sleep or lay down. this is not heart burn it felt like a large rock stuck in my throat just under my vocal cords and it throbs with my pulse. the next time i would have this is when i was about 20 years old only this time it lasted for days, i could barely sleep, and i could not bend down at all (even when i bent at the knees it hurt, as if the lower i was the more pressure was welling throbbing in my throat). Two years ago i started to have extremely high blood pressures and around the same time i had an acute kidney infection my right shoulder started to bug me, not a sharp pain, but a low dull throbbing ache, very irratating. I notice that it comes and goes when i am upset or stressed but trying to keep control. my doctors are stumped too. one of the things i found was SOD Sphincter of Oodie (OHH-Die) Disorder, where it sounds just like choloangitis (gallbladder, gallstones ect.) but is actually a sphincter in your spleen not working properly and can be easily medically solved.

good luck you guys!!!

Hey how did they test for brachius nervitius and what are physio treatments?

I AM HAVING ALL THE SAME FEELINGS AS EVERYONE DESCRIBED. VERY VERY UNCOMFORTABLE AND I STARTED TO THINK I COULD CHOKE OR SOMETHING. I CANT SEEM TO GET COMFORTABLE AND MY BACK RIGHT BETWEEN MY SHOULDER BLADES FEELS EXTREMELY STIFF ALMOST LIKE I WANT MY 5 YEAR OLD TO STEP ON MY BACK TO CRACK IT!!! IM WONDERING IF ANYONE GOT A CLEAR DIAGNOSIS. I WILL WAIT IT OUT UNTIL THE PAIN IS UNBEARABLE. KEEP ME POSTED

CHEERS,

CHINGYGIRL IN AZ

I believe what you all have is acid reflux. I have had this for very long time and I know how it feels... you will have all kind of symptoms - some that you would never through would be related to acid reflux. When I had my problems, I had chest pains, something stuck in my troat, severe back and shoulder pains, sore and painfull throat, neck pains, sinus pains and pressure, headaches, ear aches, toungle burning and pain, choking, difficulty swallowing... it has been going on for about 3 months and I love 65lbs because I did not want to eat... I tried all PPI (meds for acid reflux), mostly nexium double and triple dosage and it did not help. I was getting weaker and more tired everyday - i also caused anxiety in me and I though I would die from this and that it would never end... I was under a care of gastro doctor all the time and went through many tests (endoscopy, barrium swollow, 24 PH and manometry test). They confirmed that I had reflux but it was not getting any better with drugs so with advice of my doctor I contacted the surgean and deceided to do the surgery to repair my problem. Surgery is called Nissen Fundopliacation and I had it done 4 years ago. I also had hiatal hernia and it was also repaired during the surgery. The surgery fixed my issues and I had no more reflux..I gained some weight back and felt better.. what you all should do is to see gastro doctor to get some tests done and start some meds (nexium was the most effective for me). You should also start a healthy diet and try not to eat anytime close to bedtime. You should also sleep elevated and drink a lot of water and excersise. A lot of times this condition will go away with medications, but remember that you need to take it for 3-4 months to heal. I am sorry for this long e-mail but I wanted to let you know that you are not alone and I know you have many questions... I remember when I had this and looked for answers - I know how you all feel. Good luck and I hope this helps. If you have any more questions for me feel free to post and I will replay. Thank you.

Luke

I am a 37 year old female and have been suffering for about a month now with difficulty swalling and chest/back pain radiating from my oesophagus. I have recently been treated for a potential chest infection with 2 different antibiotics. Both of these seemed to do little good and I was them given omeprazole (nexium familiy) to treat a possible case of oesophogitis - even though I had no, or little, heartburn symptoms at first. I have (stupidly) read to much on the internet and have convinced myself I have oesophogeal cancer. My doctor is sending me for an endoscopy (27th feb) to hopefully give me some answers. My doctor thinks I am over-worrying, but said he couldnt reassure me it wasnt cancer! Now, I think the anxiety is making it all worse. I have read a lot about GERD and many of my symptoms do appear to be in line with this. My own personal worry is that I have been a regular alcohol drinker over the past years and this seems to increase the risk, however I have never smoked (the bigger cause). I will post my results as soon as I have them. My best wishes to all out there with these symptoms because I understand how worrying they can be. Good luck to us all. Nicola x

I got into a real state a week ago with this swallowing business - it got so bad I felt I could hardly breath. Was totally convinced there had to be a tumor down there. Emergency doctor gave me diazepam to calm me down and the swallowing got easier (proof that anxiety was causing the problem, as diazepam doesn't cure cancer!!!). Had my endoscopy yesterday and was dreading the results - which came back ALL CLEAR. Was tremendously relieved yet still anxious that the pain is still there. Consultant has put me back on Omeprozole for another 4 weeks and took another chest xray and blood test to check for clots (this was clear too). Its a frustrating illness but all I can say is worrying/stressing will definately contribute to your difficulty swallowing. But you do need to go to see a doctor. From what Ive read, my problems could be caused by reflux, this CAN be treated easily, but if left untreated for years and years can lead to more serious things. Go to your doctor.....I certainly feel a ton better today than I did 2 days ago. Good luck. Nicola x

I got into a real state a week ago with this swallowing business - it got so bad I felt I could hardly breath. Was totally convinced there had to be a tumor down there. Emergency doctor gave me diazepam to calm me down and the swallowing got easier (proof that anxiety was causing the problem, as diazepam doesn't cure cancer!!!). Had my endoscopy yesterday and was dreading the results - which came back ALL CLEAR. Was tremendously relieved yet still anxious that the pain is still there. Consultant has put me back on Omeprozole for another 4 weeks and took another chest xray and blood test to check for clots (this was clear too). Its a frustrating illness but all I can say is worrying/stressing will definately contribute to your difficulty swallowing. But you do need to go to see a doctor. From what Ive read, my problems could be caused by reflux, this CAN be treated easily, but if left untreated for years and years can lead to more serious things. Go to your doctor.....I certainly feel a ton better today than I did 2 days ago. Good luck. Nicola