I have started experiencing pain in mid chest when swallow food or even when drink. That pain does not depend on food consistention. It is sometimes very severe. I don’t have problems with indigestion. I’m 26 years old, female. Don’t use medications and am in good shape. What can be reason for this pain?

I guess that it pain you feel in your mid chest may be caused by gastroesophageal reflux disease, so called gerd, you’ve probably heard about it. I was diagnosed gerd a year ago, when was 27. Before diagnosis was made, I had heartburn only for 2 or 3 times. That chest pain associated with swallowing was the only symptom I had constantly. Antacids are helpful in gerd, but I think that you should check this because it may be something else, like esophagitis which doesn’t respond on antacids, as I know.

I have been experiencing the same thing. I assumed I had a throat infection although I haven't been spitting anything yellow or green. When I swallow it feels like the pain gets greater from my throat to my mid chest. The pain in my mid chest persists for about 10-15 minutes. I also feel upper back pain when the throat pain occurs and breathing is diffucult. On top of that burping is difficult, my throat muscles tense up after I burp lasting for about 2-3 seconds. If the chest pain is really bad, I have a momentary headache and pain in my right ear.

I'm going for test in the next couple days. I'll give you an update but you should definately get it checked out before it get's any worse. Mine has worsened.

I have the problems as you all mention. It just came on after throwing up a lot three days ago after heavy drinking. Will this go away - temporary acid reflux - or do you think I have GERD? What did your doctor say?

I am 25 female, and have the same problem. Everyone always refer to GERD, but all the symptoms say after eating! My pain hurts while I am drinking or eating. I have even had sharp pain when I drink cold water. I feel the food/water going down my throat and when it gets down to my chest I feel a huge burning pain. I am going to the doctor as soon as my inurance "kicks in" in August. I will keep everyone posted!

Usually one of the best over the counter medications for GERD is Zantac 150. It's the same thing most doctors prescribe the only difference is name brand. Through a doctor it would be a generic version. anyway my recommendation is take one in the morning and one in the evening. If that still doesnt' help then go see your doctor for other treatments.

Me too! I'm 14 and i have had it for a few days. I feel like i have heart burn but it's towards the right side of my chest. It also hurts by my liver i think when i swallow.

yes the same thing is happening to me too
15 year old male
it feels like evertime i swallow theres something in my throat about where my lungs are
but then my chest starts hurting on the right side

Yep...same thing here. I'm a 25 year old female and seriously thought maybe I was having the early symptoms of a heart attack. But gerd does make sense as I've been having the worse bloating and gas for the past month now.

same thing here. im 29 year old female and the pain comes only while im eating or drinking. its instant pain, not like indigestion where you may have eaten too much but from the first bite or drink. i too thought i was having a heart attack. i might be for all i know.

25 year old male- I've been experiencing this as well. On my right side too. I have no pain unless food or liquids pass, right around mid chest. I'm not sure how old this post is, but figured I'd post to keep it alive. Hopefully somebody with a medical background will post soon.

I have this too...pain in my chest after swallowing...mostly on the right side...it's worse with hot foods. feels like something is "stuck" in my esophagus. I went to the Dr today as I also have a sore throat and cold. He gave me antibiotics for a bacterial infection, a strong antihistimine and prilosec for the "heartburn" although I have never had heartburn in my life.

im a 14 year old female. i had a really bad headache about a week ago and took a naproxin sodium to help it.. i dont know if thats wat triggered it or not...but thats when the pain started. i have a sharp, instant pain in my throat and chest when i swallow anything...even saliva. and sometimes it hurts me when i breathe. its starting to worry me because i am eating less and less because it hurts so bad... i reall wanna know wat it is

I've been having a similar kind of issue. When I eat, drink, or just swallow in general, there's this pain right in the middle of my chest, sort of at the end of my throat? I wouldn't say it burns, but that's the only word I can think of right now. It started occuring after I dry swallowed some Aleve pills. Do you think that's what might have caused it? Do you think it's only temporary?

me also.. i drank a cup of water one morning before work and that's when it started it hurt so bad i didn't know what to do. it was like something was stuck in my throat. it happened a couple days after i stared taking my pills without water... i just want to get rid of it :-)
any suggestions