I am a 16 year old girl who is suffering from chest pain when I eat. When I swallow food I can literally feel in moving down to my mid to lower chest. It is very painful when this happens. The food feels clogged in my chest. The pain stays throughout the day but is worst when I eat. Could this be Gerd, problems with my esophagus?

Me too, this just started happening last week! I can feel my food moving from my esophagus, through my chest, and into my stomach... I feel pain through all of it... I don't know what's wrong.

I am 36, and I have a similiar problem. However, my started when I was pregnant with my last child. When I eat sometimes, it feels if the food gets stuck in my chest, I can't even swallow drink to help get it down, in fact I can barely breathe because it hurts too bad. Eventually the food gets down but it can take a few minutes. My husband said it can be acid reflux, can it?

I have the same problem... started happening two days ago when I started Avelox (antibiotic).

I had trouble swallowing and food would get stuck in my throat. I went to many doctors and they all sain it was acid reflux but did nothing baout the problem. Well one day visiting with a new doctor I told him about my symptoms and he said I have a stricture which is caused by scar tissue in the esophagus and that I just needed whats called an upper GI or endoscopy in which the insert long tubes in your throught and streach the esophagus. well 8 years later I have had it done about every 2 years and have felt great with no problems swallowing.

This can be because the food you were eating was too dry, or wasn't chewed properly enough. If that is not the problem then it could be a problem with the throat it can happen if your not getting enough water or the lining in the throat is deteriorating for some cause.

i also am 16 years of age, and the same thing happens to me, but i have eosinophilic esophagitis. i'd say if the pain pursists get an endoscopy, where they stick a camera down your throat to see whats inside

I am 16 as well and have been taking doxycyclene for acne for around 3 months. 4 days ago I got the same symptoms as you starting with a reflux feeling in my throat which turned into a pain when eating which turned into a constant dull pain and now it even hurts to breathe in deep and drink water.
Went to my doctor and he said I had acid reflux and prescribed me medicine to help it. I told him that I was taking anti biotics but he said that wouldnt be the problem.
So, after the prescribed medicine did f all I searched the side effects of doxycyclene on wikipedia and what do ya know? 'Doxycyclene has been known to cause GERD (acid reflux disease)'
I only found out tonight so I am going to stop taking them from now on and hopefully this will fix my problem. Another thing I havent been doing is swallowing plenty of water with the pill and staying upright for at least 30 mins, I've just been taking a quick gulp of water at night and then going straight off to bed so I think this played a big part in the beginning of my acid reflux.
Hope this helps as it wasnt that obvious to me considering I'd taken the pills for 3 months now.
I'll let you know if stopping the doxycyclene cures my problem.
Rob

Just a warning, my twelve yr old son has been treated for acid reflux for the past year, he has trouble swallowing food. He had an upper GI , their supicion was thet eosinophilic esophigits, but the test can back neggative to the doctors surprise. He was admitted into the hospital for further tests, and they found he has an inoperable brain stem tumor. It makes me angry that he was continually seen for acid reflux, I felt like the doctor wasn't listening truly to all the symptoms I was telling him about,

My son is 32 years old. He went to the ER last week and fortunatly an Gastrologist was on call. They numbed his throat and put a camera into it and discovered that his esophagus was very narrow. He is scheduled to have it stretched sometime this week. He may have to do this a few times to start and possibly every year or so there after. He eats very fast and takes large forkfulls of food, which he is trying to stop. He got food lodged in his throat and it wouldn't pass down any farther causing him to vomit up the build up. This is when he went to the ER because he couldn't swallow and his BP shot up due to anxiety.
When he was a baby, he had what's called an Infantile Stomach Valve, which produced projectile vomitting midway thru his feedings. His Pedi. said he would grow out of it and to just give him small feedings at a time. He was a big baby and small feedings did not go over well with him. This continued until he was 2. We couldn't take him out when it was close to feeding him as he would be sick all over the place.

Hello everyone. My oldest son gets food stuck in his esoghagus and has had to go to the hospital a few times and have it removed. Upon removal they found he has a wrippled esophagus. They did a dio on it and found no cancer. They mentioned that this seems to be a new development especially in teens these days and they are not sure why. Secondly when I was a teen I started getting pain in my esophagus. It was really awful. Anyway I felt everything move down into it as well. The Dr. put me on chewable Gaviscon tablets (they foam up and coat your stomach and protect your esophagus from the acids.) These are taken with a lot of water. I am not sure if he put me on any antibiotics or not. I do not know if my esophagus is wrippled or not and I have not had any problems since. I am 38 now. Hoped this helped at all. Take Care.

hurts like a son of a gun and it has been going on for 2 days, don't know
what too do, can barely eat anymore.

I had the same. I have GERDs as well as a hiatal hernia (basically a bit of the top portion of your stomach slides up into your esophagus due to weakened sphincter muscles which tighten to keep food from rising back into the esophagus). I was having chest pains of course freaked out. I got an endoscopy where they found the hiatal hernia. Probably nothing to worry about but stay away from trigger foods (most people have problems with food high in acidity like spicy food or caffeine, sugar, chocolate, etc.) Make sure to chew your food THOROUGHLY and take small drinks of water don't just gulp it all down. Try to stop eating at least 2-3 hours before sleep and don't lay down 1-2 hours after eating. Papaya enzymes are also a big help as well as apples (I prefer red and I think they're less acidic). Hope this helps!

I am 15 and have the same problem. been going on for 2 days now, and can hardly eat... :'( i've been taking acne pills, is that the problem?

Wow, almost 17 here, and I have the exact same problem.

Described it perfectly.