I'll start first of all by saying I have read EVERYTHING there is to read on line about burning tongue and geographic tongue and I know there doesn't seem to be one reason, or even a proper known reason for it.
I wanted to know if any one out there has this as well and what they've been told or found out maybe as to why they have it?
I have had this problem for over 6 months now, started as a metallic taste, then after 6 months it turned to a bitter taste and wasn't there all the time and now it's only there every now and then but is more of a burning, tingling sensation. I also had 2 ulcers during the beginning of this.
I am not menopausal, am not on any medication, it's not thrush, I'm not allergic to toothpastes or dental things and it's not food. I have checked all these. I am also not anaemic, diabetic or lacking vitamins.
My only other suspicion is my stomach, acid or the like.

Can anyone shed some light?

I have had a similiar experience and have been trying to determine what might be wrong by what seems to work. My only theory so far is that Zantac seems to lessen the burning, itching and "geographic" look. I don't know if that means that exess acid is the underlying problem. I am currently seeing ENT doctor to see if a salivary scan shows anything. I also did a self test for heavy metal toxicity and it showed the presence of mercury in my urine. I have not pursued that avenue yet.

The only blood work that was out of whack seemed to be my "hematocrit" count being very near the bottom end of normal. All else seemed withing normal limits.

I will update as I figure more out.

I've had this problem with my tongue for about four months now and have currently visited in specialist in my local hospital. They say I have a geographic tongue but I think this is not strictly the case as I have just visited a web site about burning mouth syndrome (BMS) which seems to be more likely what is wrong with my tongue. I am currently on zinc soluble tablets which I use as a mouth wash. It's not bad but just eases the discomfort a bit. They told me there was no cure and I would have to live with it but on the BMS website there apparently seems to be a lot of cures once you have some tests done and they find the route of the cause (as there are quite a few causes of BMS). This has put my mind at rest as I thought I would never be rid of this horrible feeling in my mouth. I have printed off this info and will present it to my doctor when I go back to the hospital in a months time and hopefully this will get the ball rolling to start doing some tests. So dont give up, I have done loads of research and wont give in until I get some sort of treatment.

I had a problem with BMS for several months and could not figure out what was going on. After seeing a Doctor and being diagnosed... I kept a journal of when I had symptoms. I did narrow it down to drinking from glasses at diners and such. I am thinking it is from the bleach/cleaning solution that they use in the dish water. Since I have stopped drinking from "strange" glasses... I haven't had any signs of BMS since.

Hi-
I have had the same experience going on four months. It is very annoying and bothersome. Sometimes my throat is sore at the same time. It went away for about two weeks but my throat still was sore. I've seen three physcians and they all say it is acid reflux disease.
I've never had acid reflux before but that doesn't mean anything to a Dr...."you've got it now".
I've had this occur before and it has gone away. I would get it after oral sex with my wife, but not all the time.
I think it is a bacterial infection but I've gone on every antibiotic the Dr. would dare give me and it didn't work. I tried antifungal medications and that failed also. A viral infection would normally clear up on it's own after a few weeks. So that is why the Drs. say it is acid reflux.
I've gone on Prilosec and that helps but today it is back again.
I'll post agin if I find out.

Hi
I have been suffering from bms for quite some time now, and geograhic tounge and I also have things called taurses which means an over growth of the bone in my mouth.So on the roof of my mouth I have penny size bumps where you can't see t hem, but I can feel them with my tounge.Not only that sometimes I get leasons on top of them. Ive read that taurses are hereditary as well as geographical tounge, but burning tounge I have no clue. They say I have acid reflux so I take Zantac for it, but it dosen't help the burn. Gum and hard candys help me the most and mouthwash helps tames the burn. Sometimes milk helps almost like a coating. My tounge only burnes on the tip and the underside by the tip. I hope this helps any one who has these stupid problems.

I've seen Dr after Dr for this. I thought maybe it could be hormonal - scared me, maybe new food allergy, that also scared me. I was checked for tumors on my adrenals ... But it seems that it may be GERD. See, if I take a pepcid when it comes on, it goes away - weird! I still have the burnt feeling, as if I drank a very hot tea but the tingly feeling goes away, and that is the worst part. So I have just picked up a prescription for Nexium, the purple pill :-) I will be starting an 8 wk cycle of that to heal. I have also started the change to my diet. Small portions, no sugar, no flour - just for now. I will add things back in, but portion control is the most important. 6 small meals is better than 3 large meals. If you can do it, 3 small meals : )

No Onions - OUCH, no peppermint, no chocolate (ugh!), no caffeine tea or coffee. I have a cup of sanka in the morning- some can tolerate it, some can't ??

Good Luck all : )

Hope your flare up goes away!

I am pretty convinced that this is an infection and the main seat of it is my prostate. I can eradicate the discomfort in my mouth by using dilute hydrogen peroxide mouthwash for a couple of minutes and scraping off the white sediment that also forms quite rapidly on my tongue.

The sure fire way to re-infect my mouth is to touch the end of my tongue with even the smallest amount of prostate fluid from the end of my penis.
The speed with which this spreads is measurable in minutes and even by the next day the white sediment on my tongue will have returned far quicker than it would otherwise do.

I honestly do not think it is my imagination which is telling me that there is most definitely some organism that loves to live in both my prostate and my mouth. I have had incredible difficulty telling this to GUM specialists and GPs but have nevertheless tried erythromycin,metronidazole,ofloxacin,doxycyclin and ciprofloxacin. It is still there.

I believe that I have a resistant strain of a bacterium possibly e-coli and can remember the exact event when I caught it which was a casual encounter involving oral sex. This infection requires one of the new antibiotics like fosfomycin but I have not yet found a medic who doesn't fancy themselves so much as a psychiatrist that they will treat it with the
required objectiveness.

I've been diagnosed and re-diagnosed even when I didn't want to be and GT is often the protocal. I have insulin dependant diabetes and notice when my tongue acts up so does the diabetes. My numbers go higher and my tongue becomes more sore when eating anything breaded, such as sea food and chicken. Cold drinks help, ice helps because it is painful, and the coldness takes away the swelling and pain, even if it is only temporary. What I have used and is helpful is something I have yet to see mentioned. MYCELEX 10 MG TROCHE ALZ. It is a perscription medication and is the only thing that has really given me any real relief. Hope this helps. You have all certainly helped me.

I have heard this is called Geographical tongue and there was no cure. I have noticed high , HIGH changes to my tongue. The first time when i ate a tortilla called shawarma with high amounts of garlic in it. I had the huge burning feeling. Then today (why im here) i ate fresh Strawberries. Wow. Stupid of me. Im thinking large allergic reations. Looks like my tastebuds are seperating.

I eat onions... didnt remark anything there.. but I do drink coffee every single day and have a large sugar intake. Guess god is telling me to cut down! I noticed it seems my tastebuds are seperating. EEK i hope this is not cancer jesus

hello ppl , look guys geographic tongue is sometimes related to some organ problems but mainly its a generalized sensitivity of the tongue due to some food , liquid , or even to smoking chronic smokers seem to face this the most , its not an infection coz infections spread they donot just stay there on a place or an area od the tongue , well another thing aswell i have been having some ulcers in my tongue sometimes painful and sometimes not plus a coat that changes from time to time and from place to place , well guys its mainly related to chronic or periodic nose stuffness
which makes the tongue dry and appears coated and sometimes ulcuring , also one thing this maybe due to vitamin B2 or zinc diffeciency
but mainly its not thrush or something serious especially its sometimes considered as thrush which is a wrong preception . guys just try to avoid what makes ur tongue ulcers, and if u are a smoker try to quit , and avoid getting ur tongue dry for periods of time

waiting for ur replies
Dr k

Thanks for all of the tips. I too suffer from BMS. Just like many of you, sugar makes it worse. Soda or juice, even Kool Aid all give an immediate flare up. I believe it is the citric acid. My BMS began after a back injury and sore throat that made me have to be on antibiotics (Biaxin), steroids, pain killers and ibuprofen all at the same time.

The only time it seems to be totally gone is WHILE I'M EATING! THAT'S A DANGEROUS POSITION TO BE IN!

I've been treated for thrush, diagnosed with GERD and tried four or five different meds for acid reflux. For me, these only intensified my symptoms and I went back off of them. I had an endoscopy that said I had mild acid reflux and a mild hyatel hernia.

I too have noticed sometimes eating peppers seems to help. It makes me think they counter the acid. Aren't peppers usually alkalai? The sugar and white flour making it worse makes me still think of some kind of yeast, because it feeds on these.

I have come to believe that I do have some type of systemic problem, as I am also having recurring urinary tract infections and light chills in the morning. God, let somebody read this, turn on a light bulb in research and find a cure.

Until then, these are the things that have helped me most:

Avoid sugar and acid food and drinks.
Chew sugar free gum constantly
Brush teeth, tongue and gums often with baking soda/ peroxide toothpaste. I found this in Crest but there may be others.

i have had geographic tongue for about 15 years just let me tell u at 3 years old it hurts lol but i really really want to know some answers my doctor just tells me there is nothing he can do and leave so idk any thing that could help it just its getting so bad i cant eat cheese with out it hurting

I also have studied and read everything I can find on this miserable condition. I can't enjoy eating a meal because the burning causes my eyes to tear and nose to run. Believe it or not, even yogurt with any flavoring, i.e. strawberry, orange, etc. causes burning. I went to the ENT and was given Evoxac but it hasn't seemed to help at all. When I took the pill for thrush it seemed to help the burning but I am told I don't have thrush so I shouldn't take the medication just to relieve a symptom. HELP!! I don't know what else to do. If the MD and ENT can't even tell me what this is and get rid of it what am I supposed to do. I'm so frustrated..... I used to love to cook but I can't even taste my food to make sure the seasoning is right.

I have been having this problem for the past two years. I'm so confused on what to drink and eat. When I first noticed this, I stopped eating all dairy products, chocolate and any spicy foods. I went to my denist, ENT and on 28th of this month I will be getting a biopsy to tell me if I have damage to my esophagus.

My problem is in the middle of the tonge-- it is very dry. I drink a gallon of water a day to keep my mouth moist.