My mother started to complain about problem she feels in her mouth. She told me she has burning sensations in lips and gums. I wonder what it could be, because I am not a doctor, so I have no idea. Can you tell me what disease could cause these symptoms as burning of her lips and gums? Could it be treated or that is just easy and long-termed problem that she should get used to live with?

I guess your mother has problem called burning mouth syndrome. This is a condition characterized by burning pain on the tongue or lips, or over widespread areas involving whole mouth. Burning mouth syndrome affects about 4 percent adults around the world, and it affects women seven times as often as men. Burning mouth syndrome usually occurs in middle-aged or older adults, such as I believe your mother is. Burning mouth syndrome is also called scalded mouth syndrome, burning lips syndrome, burning tongue syndrome, glossodynia and stomatodynia. The exact cause of this problem is unknown, but we know it is usually associated with a variety of other conditions. Some of the conditions it is associated with are menopause, psychological problems, hormonal imbalances, nutritional deficiencies, and oral thrush. To be sure burning in lips and gums of your mother is burning mouth syndrome, you should know that the main symptom is a burning sensation in tongue, lips, gums, palate or throat. Some other symptoms may include dry mouth, sore mouth, tingling or numb sensation in the mouth or on the tip of the tongue, or bitter or metallic taste. This problem with burning in lips and gums could be treated; treatment is highly individualized, and it depends on patient’s particular symptoms.

I have been having burning mouth, tongue, and lips for the past 7 months it started all at once.. one morning i woke up with a swollen tongue and the feeling that i had ate something very hot the burnt my whole mouth.... I have tried my doctor... who thinks it could be caused bye acidity in the body... my dentist.. who thinks it could be my blood pressure medication...which I stopped for a few days to see if there was any change.... No matter what I do nothing seemed to help until recently.
I have started to take some immune boosters... they seem to be helping altho it has only been about a week into this treatment. I started taking Vital Greens too... good luck to you all...

I have had this condition for the last 9-10 months and between the doctor, dentist and maxofacial consultant they are all unable to fathom this nor guide me the best way to manage this. I am wondering if you are now better from the things you have tried. Thanks

would like to know what to take burning sensation in lips and mouth

Tingling burning lips could be as a result of a reaction or a recurring symptom of a disease or condition. The treatment of such symptoms will depend on the underlying cause. One should see a doctor as soon as possible because, if not treated it could result into blisters with pus....

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I also have TMJ. burning sensation started 3 yrs ago getting more painful with sore left ear