Hi, I have a burning sensation on my tongue and gums. My doctor said that it’s called a burning mouth syndrome, but she doesn’t know what caused it. Can anyone tell me what are the most common causes, and what is the best way to treat burning mouth syndrome?

Burning mouth syndrome is annoying condition when burning pain occurs on the tongue, lips or widespread areas of your whole mouth. There are many different causes of burning mouth for many different cases. Some people have multiple causes, and it makes treatment plan harder to develop. Common causes of burning mouth syndrome are dry mouth (xerostomia), other oral conditions, physiological factors, nutritional deficiencies, irritating dentures, allergies, and some more. Each of these causes requires different treatment, and often there are more that one causes. If your doctor can’t find a cause, don’t waste your time, go to another doctor, oral surgeon or dentist. For a proper diagnosis, a doctor will ask you about medical history, ask you to describe the symptoms and oral habits. Then he will perform a general medical examination, and find a cause of your problem.

There are different types of BMS apparently. I have what is termed Type I. I am 49 years old and also have night sweats and periods that are coming closer together. I have been having burning in my mouth that intensifies as the day goes on. Many foods also feel like they are burning when I eat them. Hot, spicy, salty foods are irritating. This has been going on for 2 months. Also, I have started noticing that I smell smoke and my eyes feel dry and burn, mostly at night. My stomach and esophagus burn sometimes too. My doctor put me on Prilosec for GERD, but after 3 weeks I got no relief. I stopped the medication. After much reading on the subject, I started using Vitex, and Progesterone Cream. I used the cream for 3 days and got MUCH relief. The burning has been reduced to just a little intermittent tingling. I stopped for 2 days and the symptoms came back even worse. I started the cream and vitex again and the mouth burning is almost gone. My eyes still burn and I still smell smoke but it has gotten less intense. I have read that some people are getting relief with some kind of steroid treatment. Maybe it also affects the hormones. Vitex from what I've read helps the ovaries to increase progesterone production. Probably why it helps, although it takes 2 or 3 months before it starts working. The cream works instantly. HTH.

I having been suffering burning mouth syndrome fro 12 months now and have seen my dentist (doesn't believe in it) my doctor who doesn't understanding it and referred me to an oral specialist who I have seen three times. Since taking clonazaepam tablets ands alpha lipoic acid it has improved but just when I think I am getting better it comes back again. I am at a loss when it is severe to know what to drink or eat, I chew chewing gum when its is bad to save my sanity. It is a very private hell to go through as there is no one to talk to that understands, I would love to here from others with the same symtome and know that I am not alone. I am 64 yars of age (female) and believe it was brought on by taking on too much and burning the candle at both ends with committments etc.

I am a 45 year ole mle. I have been suffering with BMS for the past 18 months. It has been a living hell. In the beginning I lost 15lbs. I had a stroke right before the symptoms began. My physician had no answers. I supplied all the information I could find on the internet. After months of research I took what I found to the doctor. It was determined then that it was a neurological problem resulting from the strok. I haqve since then been taking Lyrica a pain medication :-( This gives me little too no relief. I am going crazy. I can't take it anymore. Please help me.

I do not know if I have BMS and I sure hope I don't but my tongue has been sore for several days now and I am developing cute little sores on the the inside of my lips in addition to swollen gums. I am just getting over a throat infection, but I feel like this is a seperate thing. I basically cured the throat infection by megadosing on vitamin C. And now I wonder if my body is having a reaction to too much acid in the sytem...

I also have been suffering from burning tongue syndrome for 5 years. It began when I was 52 - the burning was very slight and just annoying at times. This last Jan. the burning became intense - it's been very debilitating and has made my life miserable. My Internist, Dentist, and Endo has offered very little help. I have tried Neurontin, Lyrica,Lisinopril, and nothing has helped. All blood tests have come back normal. I recently has a CT scan of soft tissues in neck and tongue. They only found a very small nodule at the very back of tongue. The Ear, Nose, Throat Specialist said it is very common and didn't think it was causing my pain. He sais it was a very slight chance it was sitting on a nerve. I'm thinking of having it taken out. I'm thinking of going back on bioidenical hormones. Please reply if anybody has found something that has worked.

HI
I have BMS for year now. Went to all possible doctors with no effect. Then few days ago started taking Azor sedative half a tablet before bed time and 1/4 tablet in mid day and so far is working.

Hi

I have had BMS for 4 years. It is the most frustrating health problem I have endured in my lifetime because no one knows exactly what it is nor do they know how to treat it. My BMS started shortly after I got new dentures, and I assumed that it had something to do with them. I have been to numerous doctors and dentists. They can tell me what it is sometimes, others look at me like I am crazy. My oral surgeon agreed that it was BMS, in fact he suffered from it himself. His remedy was to take at least one acidolphilus daily. I tried that and it helped a little.

Sometimes the BMS is worse than other times, but it is always very uncomfortable. At times, I want to sit down and cry because it hurts so bad.

Recently, in my online research of the BMS subject, I found out that it is a form of neuropathy. I also suffer from neuropathy in my feet and knees and this BMS could in fact also be a part of that. I take the medication, Neurontin, for the neuropathy, which relieves the foot and knee pain, but so far I have seen do difference in my burning mouth.

I am very discouraged at the present time. I just don't know where to turn next.

I'm a professional male athlete in my early thirties.

I've had BMS symptoms on an off for several years now. Usually only for a few days before it cleared. I used to think nothing of it.

However six weeks ago it came on suddenly and much stronger and hasn't left since then. It is mostly an annoyance but sometimes I find it keeps me from falling asleep.

I seem to have many of the common symptoms. Burning sensation on the tongue and upper mouth, sometimes it affects the corners of my lips, gums and the back of my mouth. It generally burns and sometimes tastes metallic. If I suck air over my tongue it can feel like a menthol vapor.

I don't notice it so much in the morning but it comes on stronger throughout the day.

Is there anything out there that can ease these symptoms?

I've too have had BMS and am serching for answers. After reading the one about the woman using Vitex and Progesterone I looked up Vitex and it warns that it is not to be used with any other hormone such as Estrogen or Progesterone. I have been on Klonopin with some results but as soon as I stop it it is back full force. Mine I think was brought on by a severe virus that occured at the same time. I'm also in that perimenopausal stage. I used to be a layed back kind of person but since the BMS I feel more stress and anxiety and depression than I ever could imagine. I thought that's what Klonopin was for but it doesn't seem to help in that area.

Hi guys,
I know what you are going through. I have been dealing with this thing for 13 years. No relief in site. Take it one day at a time. Most of my doctors are sympathetic but do not know what to do. I was tested for shjoren (spelling???) but it was negative. The biopsy was horrible.
I hope someone comes up with something soon.

Hi all, sad to be posting here, but comforting to know that there are others living with this horrible misery. It's been a few months for me, I've been to my primary doctor, he put me on an antibiotic which did nothing, it actually made it worse as metallic taste was a side effect of the antibiotic. (?) Next went to the dentist, he thought maybe sinus problems could be causing burning, tingling and metallic taste. But he said that my teeth looked fine. He sent me to an ENT and he put me on prevacid, which he thinks the taste is coming from acid reflux. Its been a week, nothing has improved. I do have a ton of fillings in my mouth, could this be part of the problem? I'm 40 and some of the fillings have been there for 25-30 years. Does anyone have any info on doing mercury tests on saliva? This is horrible, there's got to be a reason besides being nuts! I've been fine up until this point and I don't take any other medications besides this prevacid that they just put me on. I have never had problems with acid reflux or heartburn either. One thing I do have from time to time is a pressure or pain at the to of my rib cage, as if a bra was to tight on me. Help.

There have been a few clinical trials for BMS. I found the results at this site:

*** edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

Now I had suffered from this for a very long time and it was very irritating not being able to eat my favorite spicy foods even drinking coca cola stung like a thousand needles, but after seeing a few doctors I saw one that gave me such a simple remedy for this and it worked for me after only 2 weeks I feel no more effects of (BMS).

Plz see my blog and help me spread the word because I see a lot of people with this problem and no one seems to give a single solution that works.

This worked for me it might not work for all cases but if you had something similar to me it will do the trick.