Hi I'm 25 and for the past year or so my tongue looks like its peeling in different spots and it is very painful. It comes and goes and gets really bad when I drink or eat something sweet. Can anybody tell me what this is?

My tongue actually peels! It'snot only gross but it hurts. I can't seem to put together a pattern. What is going on?

thanks
vickie

You have a condition called 'Geographic Tongue.' Check out this article from the Mayo Clinic website: mayoclinic.com/health/geographic-tongue/DS00819/DSECTION=1.

Fortunately, it is not a serious condition and will resolve on its own without treatment.

Sorry that it hurts, though.

hi. i have the very same problem. i am 13 and the side of my tongue is peeling. It does happen a lot when i am eating sweet stuff. i asked my doctor if i should be worried, and he said that it wasnt anything to worry about and it will go away. All that is different in the case above is that it hurts. i hope i helped, and in the meantime, stay away from sweets! :)

My tounge just started peeling on the side. Only the underside and sides of my tounge are white-ish, the top is fine. When i brush my teeth, (no change in toothpaste) the saliva in my mouth gets really thick, kind of like mucus. It makes it hard to spit or swallow and I tend to choke. The peeling is very painful, not sharp, but dull and constant. Please help by telling me what this is.

im 13 too. the side of me tongue has peeled twice. it scares me because i mistake it for food or paper in my mouth and then it peels i dont know why its happening

I just noticed my tongue doing the same thing on my walk uptown. Mine is on top towards the back and is kinda like bald ( no taste buds ) in the peeling spots.

They say its from sweets but if i drink a lot of orange juice mine peels. I think its the acid in it too. Im not sure. But it SUCKS. bc

My mother's tongue looked like one side on top had peeled over night and her other side had flat pieces standing up. Was horrible looking. Her nurse took a moist swab and rubbed the whole tongue which removed the rest of the surface of the peeling tongue. I assumed her swollen tongue and peeling to be linked to her hypersensitivity to medications & to the drug she was on, dilauud. She has repeatedly had swollen tongue with different meds she reacts to. But this was the first time her tongue literally peeled the whole surface. I would suggest people investigate what you ate, drank etc  and their ingrediants to find out if it is an allergy.

Did she eat chocolate candy? I have had this problem for over 10 years and I think it may be due to chocolate. The reason I am saying this is because, I was doing much better for over two weeks and two days ago I ate M&M's and it started again. My tongue burns and so does the inside of my mouth. I use to work for an Ear, Nose and Throat doctor and he said that it is not geographic tongue. I have had every test done and it still there.

My tounge is doing the same thing! My meds have recently changed,i think that might be it!!