Hi, I am a 57 years old woman, and I have a strange sensation in my mouth. It’s something like burning, especially on my tongue. Do you know what could this be?

Hi, it is probably a condition called burning mouth syndrome or stomatopyrosis, which usually appears in women after menopause. This condition is poorly understood, and it represents many different conditions that have the same symptoms. Burning is usually located on tongue, and it’s sometimes related to Candida. There are some other possible causes, such as ill-fitting dentures, allergies to dental materials, mouth rinses and sprays and certain foods and food additives. Burning on tongue can also be caused by deficiency of certain vitamins, such as folic acid and B-complex. Beside tongue, lips and roof of the mouth can be affected too. Burning mouth syndrome is not easy to treat. You should drink water frequently and chew sugar-free gums, because it could help your mouth moist.