My mother was diagnosed wit bursitis in the knee. She was complaining about the pain in her knee for month and when she finally accepted to see doctor, diagnose was bursitis. Can please explain what bursitis is and how can it be treated? I have never before heard about such disease.

Bursitis is not quite a disease, it is rather a condition. Bursitis is inflammation of a bursa, which is thin walled sac lined with synovial tissue. Your mother is probably suffering from condition known as house-maid knee. If occurs in the bursa (sac) situated under overlying knee skin. This condition is caused by kneeling on hard surfaces. Treatment consists of prevention of the aggraving situation, rest of involved part, administration of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs or local glucocorticoid injection.