I always have at least one or two white spots on my eyelids, and this is annoying thing. They do not hurt, but people do stare at them, so I was thinking if there is any way to get rid of those. They eventually fall off and reappear in other places, which I found strange. I have been told they are calcium deposits, but I cannot believe this. Can you tell me if it is possible to have calcium deposits on eyes or eyelids, as people keep telling me?

As you described your condition could be problem usually called milia. Those are tiny cysts or whiteheads filled with a protein material that appear on the face or eyelids. Milia are common condition that runs in families and can recur if one is prone to them. Sometimes they develop in areas of the skin that have been traumatized, due to eyelid surgery, burns, radiation therapy, or heavy use of steroid creams. I would suggest if they are not bothering you, they could usually just be left alone. Sometimes they will fall off more quickly if you hold a warm, wet washcloth to them for several minutes. Try to do it several times a day, but do not try to pick at them or remove them yourself. However, I want to say there is condition called band keratopathy, which refers to calcium deposit at the 3-9 o'clock positions in the front layer of the cornea. This deposit of calcium may spread across the cornea in band like appearance, and these are usually caused by inflammations, trauma, chronic ocular disease, or even systemic diseases. Treatment is necessary when the deposits affect vision, so then chemical removal can be considered. Usually, vision improves following the removal of calcium from the cornea when there are presented calcium deposits on eyes.

hello all,
i, too, have recently been "diagnosed" with these obnoxious deposits. milia are a completely different sort - those occur outside the eyelid, while these calcium deposits are found on the inner lid, or on the eye itself (apparently).
my eye doctor insisted that the deposits could not possibly be troubling me, though my eye is constantly aggravated by them. i feel your pain. i'm seeing another doctor about them because the guy i just saw is a complete jackass.
do you (or i think it was your boyfriend) have any more symptoms? like muscle soreness around the eye, eyelid drooping, or eyelashes not growing back?

I do have what appears to be calcium deposits on the face, but now I have one below my upper eyelid, almost near the corner of my eye. it is getting larger so it bothers me now. I do seem to have eye lashes missing. Is this a symptom of something else? Why do you ask this question?

I have 2 Calcium deposits in my upper eyelid. The have shrunk in size over the last couple of months! they do not bother me at all. there is also no effects, No pain,and no effect on my vision. Thank you for the information!

I know exactly how you feel Manda! I am suffering with the same thing under my right eye lid I went to the doctor and he told me that it was calcium deposits and that it was nothing he could do about them, because if he would try to remove them they would just fill up again. I am having so much problems with this I constanly pick at my eye because it feels like I have something in my eye all... of the time this is miserable my eye has become smaller than the other because of the stress it's under because I can't stop picking at it. I am going back to the doctor today 6/26/08 and try and see if he came up with something I can do if not than I want he to refer me to a specialist that have studies this problem I can't believe with all of the technology today they have no one that can help us get calcium deposit remove that is causing us all these problems. : :'(

I too have a number of calcium encrustations under my upper eyelids. I have had them for 10 months now and they are increasing in number and size and are a constant irritation and discomfort to my everyday life. Its like having several pieces of sharp grit rolling around under the eyelids. My Doctor tells me they are in-operable and I should learn to live with them, but i'm sure anyone else with this condition appreciates how difficult this is to do. I would like to ask where I can find information on "the new non-surgical removal of calcium deposits" i've seen mentioned in another thread about this condition.

I had the same thing. I woke up one day this week with my eye almost totally bloodshot and getting worse. My primary care physician didn't know what the problem was so he sent me to an opthamologist. Turned out the eye dr said I had a few calcium deposits and one was very large and basically had been scraping my eye. !! Ugh. I just thought I was dealing with severe allergies with all the irritation. The dr used a small needle to get them out of my eye. It was a little intimidating but he was good and careful and it was really not much trouble at all. Took a few minutes and my eye is much better already. He suggested using drops to keep my eyes moist-esp during allergy season. Hope this helps you. Feel better.

I too, have had what I think is a calcium deposit on my upper eye lid right below my eyebrow, it doesn't hurt but it really annoys me. I can't help but to pick at it and a couple people have asked me what it is, it looks like a whitehead but I know it can't be because I've had it for a couple of months now. I asked my doctor and she said she doesn't deal with those things because its just aesthetics but I can't stand it. I'm going to try the wet, warm cloth everyday to see if that will help it fall off. Does anyone know of another way to remove them??

Just today, I have returned from the optician, after having him remove calcium deposits from under each eyelid.
He used steel tools for this.
What a blessed relief!
The irritation/pain I had before this, is hard to adequately describe.
My cornea is criss-crossed with tiny gouges.
OWWWWWwwwwwww!!!!!

But see: although it is sore, I can see well enough to type this.

Calcium deposits can be a sign of many simple nutritional disorders.
The most common one is a MAGNESIUM dificiency. Magnesium has many important rolls with in the body.....magnesium helps calcium to deposit into the bones. If you are getting too much calcium and not enough mag, you get calcium deposits in all the wrong places eg; on the end of joints,causing joint pain. As stones in the gall bladder, kidneys , bladder. Also in arteries, heart muscle, muscle fibers. Blocked arteries are 95% calcium and 5% cholesterol.
Also the type of calcium you get can affect what and how much you absorb. Absorbsion is dependant on the stomach acid. If you take antacids regularly, you will have problems absorbing it. Calcium carbonate is the hardest form to absorb. It is the same product as drawing chalk.
Silica has the ability to push foreign bodies out of our bodies. That means that by taking silica, the hard lumps will disolve or pop out of the skin. Silica is very effective for removing splinters, gravel, broken glass from flesh years after it has been inbedded there. Use natural sources of minerals if pos. The best calcium to use is calcium from sea coral, or calcium phospate. Go to your local health store and get advice. It appears from all the comments that I have read on this site and many others, that some thing is seriously wrong with the health care systems in your countries. That many of you just need to take some basic supplements and most of your symptoms would be gone almost over night. Your health care providers have lost sight of the importance of good nutrition as a foundation of health.
Just to give a little more...did you know that 1 teaspoon of sugar can suppress the immune system for up to 12 hours. Think about that. Every time you have sweet foods, you are doing your immune system a huge injustice.
Also things that destroy your natural stores of magnesium are; sugar, alcohol, stress, coffee and caffine drinks, carbonated drinks, fiber supplements taken at the same time as vitamin supplements. Also antacids are the worst culprits. Over indulging in all of the above can make your system acid and when in an acid state you WILL feel tired all the time.
Easy as to fix! Eat alkilizing foods and take spirulina, alphalfa, barley
grass or cholophyll...energy back in no time.
Hope this helps you. This is not a lecture to tell you how bad you have been. Just some tips that could save you more grief.

i have had the calcium deposits removed about 5 different times from my eye. They come back about a month later and left eye will not produce tears because of them. I am getting so frustrated with putting drops in my eyes all the time to try to keep them lubricated. does anyone know any other way to lubricate my eyes?

I feel all your guy's pain. i went to my Doc. and was told it was nothing.what a joke he doesn't live with the constant irritation form having something larger than a piece of sand in your eye!!!!! So my cure....., well try getting a needle bending it like a little hook and scooping it out with someone holding a flashlight.Painful,uh yes but it relieved my pain and constant irritation!!!! Funny but my eyebrow is almost permanently lifted from trying to keep the bump off my eyeball.That's my cure. Who needs a doctor, write?????

shell

To all of you who have the calcium deposits under the eye lids or on the eye itself, let me tell you FIRST HAND it is very painful and any dr that tells you to live with it or that there's nothing they can do tell them to get a life and go back to medical school. I have had calcium deposits on my left eye since I was 7 yrs old and had undergone several surgeries. I could barely open my eye in sunlight, it watered constantly, and felt like someone threw a handful of sand in my eye. Also I am blind in that eye so my mom thought that it was connected to that and we still don't know exactly why the deposits formed but the surgery helped but YES the deposits do come back. I had 6 surgeries to remove deposits and each time they did this it made my eye smaller and smaller because they were scraping layers of the eye off. So in July 2004 when I was 20 yrs old they removed my left eye since I was blind already and the pain kept getting worse and worse. I have seen hundreds of eye dr's between California and South Carolina that I should have become an eye dr myself. Lol. Demand that they send you to a specialist. Get this treated! It will harm your everyday life and ultimately mess with your vision. I hope this information is useful to someone.

I shouldn't say this but here goes. I have had calcium deposits on my face ond upper eyelid (inside) for about 40 years and I take a very sharp fine point knife (like a very small precise scalpel) that has been cleaned and simply pierce them and a light sqeeze and they are out. They do not grow back in the same place and I have had no ill effects from this. When it comes to ones under my eye lids it's a whole different procedure which would have opthamologists cringing but it cost me over two thousand dollars to have two removed and it was easier for me to do this at home. You can remove them yourself but as I said an eye doctor, especially mine, would never condone "suture self" surgery but I was going to the dermatologist at least once every three months for removal of these things and I've spent thousands at the eye doctor and got tired of it. If you're shaky or queezy don't even try but if you have a steady hand you simply pierce and squeeze as far as the ones on your face. For a deposit on your actual eye if you can remove that yourself then you need to set up practice!!!!