My right shin, about half-way down has a rather odd pain in it. Feels like about the size of a quarter or slightly larger. Doesn't bother me at all when I run or ride, but I notice it when I walk.

I don't think it's shin splints. I've never had a problem with those before. Any ideas?

My right shin, about half-way down...

On the medial or lateral side?
Odd type of pain, how? What does the pain feel like?

My right shin, about half-way down...
On the medial or lateral side? Odd type of pain, how? What does the pain feel like? Medial (inside) side. Odd in that it doesn't really 'hurt' but it 'feels' very different from the rest of my shin. Like something is pulling away.

My right shin, about half-way down...
On the medial or lateral side? Odd type of pain, how? What does the pain feel like? Medial (inside) side. Odd in that it doesn't really 'hurt' but it 'feels' very different from the rest of my shin. Like something is pulling away. It may be a small muscle tear in either your gastrocnemius or soleus. I had some type of "knot" on the medial side of my right shin, about 5 inches below my knee, years ago. Whenever I would point my toes, it would bulge out and hurt, almost like a cramp. Only hurt occasionally when I ran. My massage therapist and chiropractor had no clue what it was. Over time it went away. I can still feel it when I point those toes, just not as much. This is what I did for mine, which might help yours. Stretch (you knew I was going to say that, didn't you?) and ice. Dixie cups filled with water and left in the freezer are great for icing. Just tear off some of the cup and rub it around the affected body part for about 5-7 minutes.

Just keep a watchful eye on it. I ran for four months on stress fractures in my shins because the pain was atypical and at one point almost felt like what you're describing. I swore it was tendonitis til it got worse enough that I felt it all the time. By then my leg was ready to crack in half. Not saying that's what this is, but just stay aware of it.