Hey everybody. My problem is whenever i go jogging, within 5-10 minutes, the calf muscles near my shin starts cramping/tightening up, I think it's the soleus. Usually one leg cramps up a lot more than the other but not tired one bit. I run on asic gel 1100, got them about 3 weeks ago and i run on a trail in a park. Also sometimes my calves don't cramp up but instead my hips hurt. Is it my running form or something else?

:wavey: welcome

calf muscles can really be a pain if you don't keep them loose for running, they can cause problems in your lateral knee and heels and feet too. i'd suggest you massage your calf muscles for a few minutes before you run and again after your run, before the stretch. sounds like you are having a muscle spasm due to maybe too much too soon? rub out the muscle really well before and after. also don't forget to drink alot of water; cramps can happen if you are dehydrated.

good luck.

Try warming up a little before your run, then stretch your calves. Stretch them again after your run. As time goes by, your calves will get used running and probably won't cause you as many problems.

I also get cramps in my calves, I usually stop every 10 or 15 and stretch them out again, or else I notice them getting really tight as I run...

Make sure you're getting enough potassium in your diet also. A banana a day helps keep the cramp monsters away.

Thanks for the advice. I've always been stretching before i even warm up, didn't know it caused microtears. Won't be running a while though, pulled my calf :x