Hey everyone!
I am a VERY new runner and I am training for my first 5K. I have been walking up to 2-3 miles a day for about a month now ( I didn't want to just jump into running). I started alternating between running and walking on Monday but I was only able to do about 2.5 miles because I had severe pain in my shins. At first I thought maybe shin splints but it feels more like muscle cramps. Today I tried to do all running but the pain was so bad I could hardly walk after only 1/2 a mile. The pain starts in the shins almost like a burning sensation and if I keep running it moves into the top of my foot and the back of my knee and also to the outside of my calf muscle. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I am also using some products from Advocare such as their daily vitamins, Spark, meal replacement bars and also Biocharge. I feel like I am eating enough food and drinking enough water. I'm not sure if I need to find new shoes or change my diet. I am so lost. If anyone could give me any advice I would really appreciate it!
Thank you so much!

The cause of pain and discomfort in the lower leg can be due to any number of factors including overuse of the muscles, poor footwear, poor circulation or trauma caused by an outside force.
Leg pain caused by the uneven pulling away of or tearing of the tendons and bones can sometimes be alleviated by performing calf stretches that lengthen the calf and anterior leg muscles. In other cases where the posterior leg muscles are significantly stronger than the anterior muscles (or vice versa), strength training exercises using stretch bands or stability boards can help strengthen and balance the muscles. In cases where leg pain is due to overpronation, insoles can be inserted into the shoes to correct the direction and amount that the feet roll forward.