I've noticed that my lower calf/achilles area have been VERY tight after my last several runs - does anyone know of any stretches other than the standard lunge against the wall thing?

This is not a normal place for me to be tight - I think part of it is due to old shoes. New ones should be arriving shortly, and hopefully that will make the problem go away. But any suggestions in the meantime would be appreciated!

My favorite for the calf is where you stand on the edge of a step and drop your heels down gently, hold for several seconds then go up on your toes and hold again. Repeat.

:1:
I do these all the time, feels great!

Thanks, girls- this stretches the exact area that I'm having a problem with.

After doing some research into treatments for my plantar fasciitis, I purchased a device called the Step Stretch to assist in stretching my calves - a few minutes a day after walking or running seems to help.

Link

I use that as well, it provides a great stretch. But if you have trigger points in the calves it won't help you until you treat them.

During our routine stretches, we would do this one to help the calves..Get in a push-up position, but stick your butt in the air higher and place one foot on top of the other and really stretch out the calf. Do that for each calf for about 10 seconds or so, that should help it out..

Trail Running Blog