Hello, all. I've just recently started running. At first it went fine, and I began to gradually increase my endurance and speed, really happy, etc. etc, until recently, I've been struck down by a mysterious malady.

While I run, my calves tighten up, and it becomes nearly impossible to finish the run. It's not plantar fasciitis or achilles tendonitis (no swelling, for one thing), but I can't consult a real doctor because I'm living in Japan and have no insurance and a very limited command of the langauge.

I did purchase new and good shoes, but no dice. I've consulted numerous of my track-involved friends, who offered various bits of contradictory advice. One person advised about 20 minutes of stretching before and after a run. Another said to not stretch before running, and stretch each calf for 3 sets of 30 seconds each. Those are the two extremes, and most suggestions fall somewhere in the middle. I make a point of doing a couple minutes of stretching (basic calf and thigh stretches), but nothing extensive, and I'm not sure what alterations I should make to my routine. I also took some time off, and just walked for my exercise, but when I started running again the problem returned.

Please help, any assistance would be appreciated. I'm just starting to get into running and just starting to get into shape, and I'm afraid that if this affliction keeps on going I will lose the motivation I've managed to fire up.

the only problem i've had with that part of my leg was a muscle spasm/knot that developed during a 5K and i attempted to run thru it. it was "knotted" for weeks and very painful. try massage before you run and gentle stretching, holding each calf stretch for a minute x 3 after your run. have you heard of the stick? go here: thestick.com. this thing is great for calf muscles. i am a very cautious stretcher; sometimes i think rigorous stretching causes more harm than it does good. do a google on myfascial release techniques too - it's the anti-spasm program.

also, make sure you are drinking tons of water and some gatorade or powerade. dehydration can cause muscle spasms in athletes.

good luck and welcome :wavey:

:1: And welcome. :wavey:

:1:

to both the welcome and to Rolling Rock's endorsement of the Stick. It does wonders.