I have this very strange pain in my heel. It is on the sides of my heel (sort of were achilles mom must have held him from which she dipped him). The pain also seems to be on the bottom when I walk.

Any ideas what this might be and how I should treat it?

The pain at the bottom almost sounds like a heel spur. Yuck. I have them, they periosically get better and worse. Usually caused by plantar fascitis

Does it hurt a lot when you first get out of bed? Then as you walk/limp around it starts to feel a bit better? It could be plantar fasciitis, and not yet a heel spur. Get it checked and fixed because what Kristin said - Yuck!

Thanks for the responses. It looks like I have plantar fasciitis! I am going to place a call to my cousin (a podiatrist) tonight and see if she can help me out. As long as it is not something that will cripple me (like achilles tendonitis) if I run throught the pain, I am a bit relieved.

I will let you know how it goes.

I will let you know how it goes.

I have had PF too. Just keeping my calves and feet stretched out worked wonders (I did also go the orthotics route and haven't had a problem since). Hope yours heals quickly!