I had this pain start last week. On my right foot, I had a dull ache pain on the outside and right underneath the outside of my foot. It seems to be on the meat/muscle(?) of the foot. I didn't run Wed, Thurs, or Friday. It seemed to be pretty much gone Friday, and I ran a race Saturday, and didn't feel it at all.
I got up in the middle of the night and felt this pain on both feet actually, but when I woke up this morning, the left foot pain was gone but the dull ache on the right foot is still there.
Several things to consider. I noticed last week sitting at my desk at work that I tend to roll my feet over onto this area-so I did alot of correcting my posture at work. So I thought maybe this was more work related.

But during my race yesterday, the road grade changed often. I found myself manuevering during the race to run on the most level part I could find, I don't like to run on the uneven surface where the road slants down. Could this be a result of a long run on uneven surfaces?

The only medical condition that seems to be close is peroneal insertional tendonitis. There is a sports medicine clinic close to my home, I'm going to try and sweet talk my way into an appt sometime before my marathon
:(

How are your shoes? The fact that you have felt this in both feet would make me wonder about them. Have you switched to a different shoe lately? How many miles on them?

How does your calf feel? Very tight? Remember the muscles are all related, my Plantar fasciitis acts up ever time my calf is tight. For more info I would recommend checking out

Last year prior to IMFL I got tendonitis in my left foot. I was off it for almost 3 months doing pool running. I found I turned my foot the same way you described and now I'm more careful about it.

One place I found I really turn my foot is in the car. I rest my left knee against the door and turn my foot. Now I have a pillow that I put between my leg and the door to keep my foot straight and keep m knee from rubbing against the door.

Sheldon

I did my last long run 21 miles Aug 14 in the new Asics, which put them at about 120 miles. I didn't run Aug 15. I ran Aug 16 in Mizunos, with about 300 miles on them, and this is where I noticed the pain begin.
My calves feel fine. Everything feels fine, except the bottom and edge of this one foot. I took some OTC Orudis, which made the pain go away, but I know it's still there.
I don't know what to do though. Should I stay off the foot? I really don't want to get behind on my training.

if it is a mild case of peroneal tendonitis it should go away after 3-4 days of rest and continued use of an anti-inflamatory and ice. for icing, try freezing some water in a 20 oz plastic water/soda bottle and roll the frozen bottle back and forth on the floor while you are resting for up to 20-30 minutes at a time, several times a day.
also, Running Brewer nailed this one...i've heard from a pretty well-reknowned sports physical therapist that 9 out of 10 foot injuries (PF, Achilles Tendonitis, Peroneal Tendonitis, etc) are the direct result of tightness in our calves. Runners build inordinately strong calf muscles, and unless you keep them as flexible as they are strong you're asking for trouble.
---
megawill

also, take Running Brewer nailed this one...i've heard from a pretty well-reknowned sports physical therapist that 9 out of 10 foot injuries (PF, Achilles Tendonitis, Peroneal Tendonitis, etc) are the direct result of tightness in our calves. Runners build inordinately strong calf muscles, and unless you keep them as flexible as they are strong you're asking for trouble.--- megawill

i have a serious running friend here who was sidelined for months due to PF and as soon as he began a mild stretching program for his calf, the PF cleared up. his sports doc told him the same thing. do you have a very high arch? i do and have to wear neutral shoes with lots of cushioning; no stability or motion control stuff in there ever. however, i wore a neutral mizuno for two years and had persistent lateral knee stuff happening. :shrug: i did go to julstro.com and begin her program, but i switched out of the mizunos too and it seemed to really help. now, when i wear the mizunos for walking, i'm amazed at how they push my foot to the outside. i am an underpronator and hit on the outside naturally so this just seemed to add to that problem for me. your mizunos with 300 miles could be spent. since my arch is so high, i need to replace my shoes at 300 or i start feeling everything on the outside of my leg :| don't discount the shoe thing. make sure your foot is in the right shoe -- good luck. hope it clears before the long run!

Thanks for all the input.I've been icing the foot down here at work while I wait for my doctor's office to call me back with a referral to the sports medicine clinic...which, who knows what month that might be.
I'm going to make sure I stretch my calves out well this evening along with everything else.
I'm not going to run today or tomorrow and see if that helps too.
I'm hoping this is just a bruise.

Just be aware the stretching alone may not be enough. If you have a spasm in one of your muscles you may need to apply pressure to release it, or even a massage (deep tissue/trigger point). I am guess that is would be your Peroneus longus or your estensor digitorum brevis that could have spasms. the way you describe your pain. Here is a good article that explains trigger points and referred pain.