I was experiencing pain in my left foot for some period of time. At first I thought that it will go away on its own but it did not. I went to my doctor and he told me that I have plantar fasciitis. Can you tell me more about it?

Plantar fasciitis is an overuse injury affecting the sole or flexor surface (plantar) of the foot and diagnosis of it means you have inflamed the tough, fibrous band of tissue (fascia) connecting your heel bone to the base of your toes. This condition starts with mild pain at the heel bone. If you don't treat plantar fasciitis, it can become a chronic condition. You can start with rest, because it is the first treatment for plantar fasciitis. You should try to keep weight off your foot until the inflammation goes away. There are some other things that can help you to relieve pain, like applying ice to the sore area for 20 minutes, 3 or 4 times a day. Your doctor can prescribe nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medication such as ibuprofen. Home exercises to stretch your Achilles tendon and plantar fascia are the base of treating the condition and lessening the chance of recurrence. I wish you all the best in the future and hope that you will have success in treating your condition.