Please pardon the length of this post, I am trying to be as thorough as possible. ME: 24 years-old RUNNING FOR: Two weeks now. RUNS SO FAR: 5 3 x [(5 min RUN + 1 min WALK) x 4 = 24 minutes] 2 x [(7 min RUN + 1 min WALK x 3 = 24 minutes] SHOES: Asiscs Gel Fortitude II (fitted by staff at a "Running Room" store. Fitting took nearly an hour. The shoe is classified by Running Room as "Cushioning", meaning: "you need cushioning, a flexible forefoot, and no motion control features. You under-pronate.") PROBLEM: Debilhitating pain in calves WHILE running. Pain usually comes after about 5 minutes of running, and extends from mid-calf straight down to approximately ankle level. I would catergorize the pain as sharp, and describe it in terms of "tightness". Accompanied by numbness in toes after pain has been present for some time. I'VE ALREADY TRIED: - Loosening my shoes (seemed to help initially, and has helped considerably with the numbing issue, though the numbing does still occur. However - I worry that loosening my shoes may also compound the problem, as my heel is now lifting somewhat). - Changing my form (though I could likely still benefit from additional focus on form, I have focused on proper landings, posture, and RPMs). DETAILS: I started running about two weeks ago, and so far have gone on about 6 runs, with varying results. The problem I am experiencing is pain, extending from the middle of my calf, straight down to around the height of my ankles. The pain is within my calf, and feels like a tightening. It only occurs during my run (usually after the first 5 minutes) and subsides after I've sat down for 10 minutes or so following my run. The pain has actually prevented me from finishing 3 of my 6 target times thus far (despite the fact that from a cardiovascular point of view, I could definitely keep going), and is often accompanied by numbness in my toes (which only sets in after the pain has been present for some time). I purchased my shoes from a reputable running store, and was fitted for nearly an hour. I've read the aches and pains section of this site, and my ailment seems to fit the description of achilles tendinitis, except that my pain only occurs WHILE running. Any insight or suggestions that anyone might have would be very much appreciated. I'm hoping that I won't have to buy new shoes, but realize that may very well be the case (sigh). Thanks in advance, let me know if any more detail is needed.

Hey Kip,

First off, sorry to hear about your pained calves. About a year ago, I started having problems with tendinitis. I'm wondering if this could also be your problem. I have a few questions:

1.) Do you hydrate well prior to heading out?

2.) Has the pain intensified over the last two weeks (since you began running)

3.) Have you developed any nodules (bumps directly above the heel?

4.) What's you stretching routine look like?

5.) Does your run include hills?

I never used to have problems with my lower calves until after going from being an outdoor runner to an indoor runner. I find that the more conscious of my form, the worse the problem gets. Since you're new to the sport, I'd not worry too much about form...keep it as loose as possible.

Here's to a pain-free future. Cheers!

Jen

Calf problems and achilles tendonitis are some of the most common problems that runners face. The achilles soreness is more critical than calves. You can tell if it is your achilles by pinching your achilles tendon, if it is very tender then your should run less and/or avoid hills, which I think you do.

The calf issue can also be helped by reducing mileage, icing your calves after you run, and then applying heat later. Stretching helps too. It is important to note that if you have an achilles problemn, you do not want to stretch because you could tear it.

Best of Luck.

I agree. I had the same thing you are describing, and my athletic trainer diagnosed it as Achilles Tendonitis.

I cannot give many advices, because I have with no medical expertise.
I try to be a 49 year old triatlhete.
I suffered pain in the calve of one leg for 6 months.
When recovering, I made an ecography and resonance-RMN. Results looked ok for the doctors, but I still had some pain.
I improved when I streched and later I put ice on my calves. I did this 2 times per day for several weeks.
That really helped me. 3 months later I did an Ironman. 0 pain.
Well, I hope this info helps,
Joaquim

The only advice I can give is to rehydrate yourself more often (but not to th point where you feel heavy and all) and do some stretching.

Hi, I have a similar problem.. I'm not quite sure why.

I'm fine till I'm walking.. but as soon as I move into a jogging pace, within 3-5 mins my calves start to cramp up and I have to stop. It is excruciating and I've tried to hydrate well.. do stretches.. warm ups..

Most of what I read about tendonitis etc is for people who're already running.. In my case,this issue is stopping me from even starting to run regularly.

Any help is appreciated.

This is also my problem.

I put on Voltaren gel and do stretching. Helped a bit but I started running to soon and the problem came back. Very irritating, I'm unable to improve my VO2.

How can we avoid this to happen?
:(

I have a similar problem and it has kept me from pursuing a career in the military and might even hold me back from law enforcement. I, like many of you, have tried everything with no success. My Dr. wants me to get checked for "Chronic exertional compartment syndrome" which he says is commonly misdiagnosed as Achilles tendonitis.