Hello! I am 43 years old and I have recently been diagnosed with autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease. I felt a sharp pain at the side, between my ribs and hips and I went to hospital. They did an ultrasound imaging and found that I have several cysts on one of my kidneys. It turns out that I had polycystic kidney disease for decades without symptoms. Does anyone know something about autosomal dominant PKD?

Hi! My mother and sister are also diagnosed with autosomal dominant PKD. ‘Autosomal dominant’ actually means that if one parent has the disease, there is a 50-percent chance that the disease will pass to a child, so it was passed from my mother to my sister. Maybe someone in your family has it too but hasn’t still been diagnosed so it wouldn’t be bad if they would check up. It often doesn’t give any symptoms for many years, or you might just feel headaches, have high blood pressure or re-occurring urinary infections but not connect it with PKD. So do talk to your doctor about making sure that your immediate family is checked.

I am a fellow sufferer who was also diagnosed late in life and has been living with PKD for several years now. It was passed to me by my father who died of kidney failure in his mid-sixties. I had surgery to shrink my cysts but it only provided temporary relief, now I feel pain again and the doctor only prescribed me with some over-the-counter pain killers. I also have frequent urinary infections which my doctor treats with antibiotics. Basically it’s a disease for life and when my kidneys finally get to a stage when they will not be able to perform their function I will have to have the transplantation or go to dialysis. I am not trying to scare you but it is best to discuss these things with your doctor as soon as possible and know your options.