Hi, my sister is 47 years old and she was born with just one kidney. Several years ago she started to have problems with chronically infections of urinary tract. It damaged her kidney and now she is in position that she has to start with dialysis. Doctor told her that she has to go on dialysis every day. I would like to know something more about this treatment.

Hi, dialysis is method which is taking away wastes from the body same as sufficient water. It is method which is replacing kidney but also have to be applied with precautions. Main danger is in possibility to get infection over catheter in peritoneal cavity. It may cause inflammation of peritoneum which is serous complication. Advantage of this method is that it may be applied at home.

Hi melloney,

First of all, I am so sorry that your sister has to face such a terrible condition. it is not easy to deal with this.

Kidneys are very important for our body and they are responsible for filtering waste products from the blood. In your sister’s case this is not possible not only because she has one kidney, but because the other one was damaged during the frequent infections.

Dialysis is a procedure which will perform the kidney function. Since your doctor has decided that your sister needs the dialysis then it is best to find out what you can about the procedure itself. There are two main types of dialysis, hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis. Your doctor will decide which option is better in your sister’s case. I hope that she will manage to cope with the new situation.