Hello everyone,

So my sister is one of those girls who loves to go to the gym, who loves being in shape and wouldn't skip a day of going to the gym. She told me that recently she had some weird feeling when it comes to her heart, she feels like her heart rhythm isn't normal but she thinks that it might also be because she is forcing herself too much in the gym. She told me that she is also suspecting that this could mean that she has an ectopic heartbeat.

Do you know what happens during these ectopic heartbeats and how dangerous are they?

Hey Alan,

An ectopic rhythm is an irregular heart rhythm due to a premature heartbeat. There are two different types of these ectopic heartbeats and these are premature atrial contraction and premature ventricular contraction. 

The cause of these ectopic heartbeats is unknown so I can't really tell if her exercises caused this, but I seriously doubt that they are the cause. There are some factors that could cause an ectopic heartbeat and these are alcohol, caffeine, smoking, some prescription medications, some illegal drugs (stimulants), high levels of adrenaline, usually due to stress and exercise, but I doubt that it's exercise because she is doing it every day.

Hi you two,

Well, she shouldn't be afraid of this because in most cases, ectopic heartbeats require no treatment at all, they go away by time. However, if her symptoms become more severe or the ectopic heartbeats start to happen more often, she should make an appointment with her doctor in order to do some thorough analyses. Just to be sure.

In most cases, people need no treatment, the symptoms usually resolve on their own. If her condition gets more severe, her doctor will probably prescribe her with some beta blocker medications, or he might suggest her to have angioplasty done, or bypass surgery.

Hey Alan,

It's true that this condition usually requires no treatment at all, it will probably be the case with her as well.

When the heart experiences an early beat, a brief pause usually follows. You generally become aware of it on the next beat, which feels much stronger. It can feel like fluttering, or as though your heart skipped a beat. It happens on occasion and it is generally harmless and resolves without medical intervention. If it continues, your sister should seek medical treatment. Her options are the ones that Adria mentioned above, the doctor will probably suggest that she tries with medications first.

Good day everyone.

Ectopic heartbeats are very common and can happen to a people of any age, it doesn’t matter do they have any heart disease or not. They are irregular heartbeats which cause a variations in the normally regular pulse. The condition according to medical terms refers to both – skipped heartbeats or even the extra heartbeats.

They can involve the conscious awareness of your own heartbeat and these are also known as palpitations. You can feel some fluttering or pounding feeling in your chest, and this can spread to your neck, throat etc. They usually are not that dangerous, but if you don’t treat them they can be.

Hello there guys.

Ectopic heartbeats are very small variations in an otherwise normal heartbeat that cause an irregular pulse. They can occur without any obvious case and they usually are totally harmless. Sometimes they are associated with chemical electrolyte and problems in your blood. If that it she case, you will need the treatment. Ectopic heartbeats can also happen with ischemia caused by a decrease in blood supply to the heart. They can be caused or made worse by excessive smoking alcohol, taking caffeine, certain medications, etc.

Anyway, you should investigate it just to be sure if you need any treatment or not.

Hey there. I am really sorry to hear this about your sister. I am girl and I am 26 years old. I also have problems with ectopic heartbeat and I found this out while I was playing basketball. I could feel that something is wrong with me. I don't know did basketball is "guilty" because of my ectopic heartbeats and doctor told me that there is no way to find out this. Also, he told me that this is nothing dangerous if we start to treat it on time. So I agreed with it. Now I am OK, but I treat it successfully. And I still play basketball. Good luck.

Definitely we are talking about irregular heartbeats in your sister's case. I really don’t know anyone who have normal, regular heart beats. Now, I am reading all posts and I have nothing to add about the definition of ectopic heartbeats and what can happen during it, but I couldn’t agree with you about that this is not that dangerous like you are saying. Actually I believe that it is very dangerous because your heart is very weak during irregular heartbeats and it can become even weaker. So you need to try to treat this and to control it, even if this means that you need to use some medications. Have a nice day.

Hey guys. I also have problems with ectopic heartbeat. I did everything to find out the reason for this but my doctor told me that it is very, but very hard to find the cause of it so I don't want to seek for it anymore. Anyway, I just want to tell you that I was thinking as well that this is nothing serious and if I cut out all tobacco and nicotine I will be OK. But no - like someone already told us there is a big chance that this turns into something worse, it can make your heart very weak. So, please tell your sister to look for the treatment immediately. And she will be fine in that case.