My mum has a kidney stone. The doctor told her that it’s 7mm and that it moved to the urethra. She is in a big pain now. Does anybody can explain to me what exactly kidney stones are? Do they cause any serious damage? Would my mum need to go to surgery?

Kidney stones are concretions of minerals that form in the kidney. Too much calcium from food or other sources can cause formation of the stones. There are few types of stones and their chemical composition depends on the chemical imbalance in the urine. Kidney stones usually do not cause long-term urinary tract problems. I think that she doesn’t need to have a surgery for 7mm kidney stone.

TELL MOM TO DRINK TONS OF WATER, THIS SHOULD HELP HER TO PASS IT. HAVE HER TALK TO HER DR ABOUT FLOMAX.

under 5mm you can pass, 6-10mm is a gray zone perhaps with a stent in place it might pass depending on the type of stone but if it's the jagged I don't know if it's going to move I'm honestly surpised it made it past the bladder.