Hey everyone,

I was at the mall yesterday and Nivea went around offering these free skin tests, so I got one. I have pretty dry skin. I'm 36. I have read quite a bit about hyaluronic acid and think that perhaps it has the potential to hydrate my skin, so I asked whether they had that at Nivea. The lady said yes, they have a serum, but it should only be used from age 40. They recommended some other anti-age range for dry skin to me, not hyaluronic acid. 

So this leaves me being baffled really. Is there any truth to the idea that hyaluronic acid is not for people under 40, or was the lady wrong?

Please help!

The lady you spoke to would be right that the level of hyaluronic acid naturally present in the skin starts to diminish rapidly from around age 40. As such, the most significant anti wrinkle benefits really start kicking in at around that time, though everyone's skin is different of course. What hyaluronic acid also does is add hydration, helps with sun damage, and helps combat free radicals. Anyone of any age can benefit from those things of course. I suspect you dealt with someone who didn't know much about the skin and was in it for the marketing, just following the guidelines she was presented with. If you want to use hyaluronic acid serum now, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't.

Good luck!

Nah, don't sweat it babe. Just cause someone says it's for older people don't mean you can't benefit. I'm not even 30 yet so officially too young for anti age stuff but when my skin's dry you betcha that I go for the moisturisers labeled anti age just cause they're more hydrating than the other creams which are lighter. The thing is you gotta find what works for you. Hyaluronic acid is amazing. I had it recommended to me in shops before come to think of it and I def don't look over 40 so obviously there's different views on this. 

I am 32.

I've been using a hyaluronic acid serum (Cosmedica's) for some time at this point, and I am happy with the changes I have seen in my skin since I started. My skin is more hydrated, plumper and basically just healthier-looking.

Because I can speak from experience that it does benefit me, I think the idea that it is no use for people under 40 is rubbish. Sure, it will not be necessary for everybody under 40 and maybe there are people who might use it without seeing much difference at all, but that was not me.

In conclusion, if you want to try hyaluronic acid do not let salespeople stop you.

I am with everyone else here.

The benefits of using a hyaluronic acid serum will definitely increase with age. When you are younger, you have all the hyaluronic acid you need in your skin naturally and it isn't going to do much in most case if you add any more. So save your money and get the products that you need for general care and hydration, that is the idea. But if you want to use it anyway or you have dry skin, more wrinkled skin than most people your age, etc, there is nothing wrong with starting earlier. It is not going to harm you (though maybe your wallet).

FWIW I'm under 40 and have been using hyaluronic acid quite a while now, not as the straight serum but in the day cream I am using. I think it's really helping me! My face looks brighter and healthier, more hydrated kwim? When I bought it nobody said I was too young for it LOL. It's just an all around great skincare ingredient, hyaluronic acid is, and there's no lower age limit (though not for kids, I guess? Don't know.) Anyway, if you try it and see it does nothing for you (unlikely) you can always stop using it again.

Hyaluronic acid isn't an acid. It is actually a polymer produced by the fibroblast cells of the skin, a natural component we all have. It is also a component that is lost relatively early on, as soon as age 18. The woman who told you that you should not be using hyaluronic acid before age 40 was wrong. The loss of hyaluronic acid will not give you wrinkles right away, but supplementing your skin's natural supply with a little something extra may well help reduce the speed at which you visibly age. In conclusion, hyaluronic acid serum is for anyone 18 and above.

Hyaluronic acid serums up your level of moisture retention at any age. You can't be too young for hyaluronic acid!! I am 35 and have been using hyaluronic acid maybe since November now? I had not heard of it before but when i did, I grabbed the chance I could and my skin has been better off for it. Really, I see diminished wrinkles/lines/signs of aging/whatever you are supposed to call those now, and my skin looks healthier and plumper at the same time. I can see the results in the mirror every day, so obviously anyone who says hyaluronic acid is only for people over a certain set age is more than wrong.

Celebrity

Hyaluronic acid is a fantastically potent ingredient. I have made it no secret that I generally stick to natural products (which this is, in a way, but not in the way I usually define it), but with my very dry skin, I recently turned to hyaluronic acid serum and apply it under my regular facial oil. It works very well. I am beyond happy with the results. I am no spring chicken but had the same dry skin issues when I was younger. I really do not believe that you need to be over a certain age to benefit from this product, which attracts moisture like crazy, especially if you have dry skin.

Rosie

Cosmedica's pure hyaluronic acid serum is pretty good, according to almost everyone as good as the much pricier Skinceuticals hyaluronic acid serum. If you are considering a HA serum seriously, I suggest you start with this one. I'm 38, but I have definitely noticed big changes in my skin over the last few years, and I believe this serum is helping me in the long term as well as the short term. My skin looks plumper and with less lines, which is exactly what I was hoping for. There is no need to wait until you hit an arbitrary age.

This is a good question. I have been wondering myself — like you, I have encountered products that contain hyaluronic acid at shops and am tempted every time. I am 31 and though I may not be in the market for anti-age products yet, I am also not sure. My skin is definitely changing, and I'd rather work towards prevention than try to undo damage with radical measures a few years down the line, if you get me. My understanding is that hyaluronic acid attracts 1000 times its weight in water, which is a lot. If nothing else, it will help my skin look more hydrated I should think.

Go for it! Hyaluronic acid is, first and foremost, a moisture attractor and no matter your age it will help you stay hydrated and look better. You can't be too young to start it, though it is true that you may get more benefits from it later on in life depending on the quality and hydration level of your skin. But if your skin is looking worse for wear, with wrinkles and you need extra moisturization, than a hyaluronic acid serum is a good choice for you.

Since hyaluronic acid is mainly an anti-aging supplement, which you use to replace a component that is naturally inside your body before a certain age, yes, it is quite true that younger people do not need to use it. They won't see any harm done to their skin if they do use hyaluronic acid, but neither will they see much positive from it. It's not a case of "if I start using it early on, I'll prevent wrinkles". That's not how hyaluronic acid works. If your skin is firm, plump and well moisturized, I would see no reason to use a hyaluronic acid serum.

So helpful comment!!! Thank you so much!

I tried it years ago... and I can not recommend it to younger skin.
It feels wonderful when you put the serum on, but the effect is that your skin starts needing it. I stopped using it and it took a while to get skin back in balance.