I keep seeing those special moisturizers for under the eyes. At the moment, I am using a day cream and a night cream, but not a separate moisturizer for under the eyes. These tend to be more expensive as well, and much smaller, so I am hesitant to buy one. I am in my mid 20's without any real wrinkles so I don't really see the point of using a different moisturizer for your eyes. 

Am I wrong? Do I need a moisturizer for my eyes? Will it make a difference to my skin's aging process over the long term? Or are under eye moisturizers really nothing more than clever marketing?

Do you NEED a different cream for your eyes? Well, no. People have done without for a very long time. But do those who do use those eye creams BENEFIT from them? Yes! The skin underneath your eyes is both thinner and drier, prone to aging much faster than the rest of your facial skin. So the question is, do you want to moisturize that area properly and preserve the collagen in the skin there? If your answer is yes, and it would be for most people, then you too would benefit from a separate moisturizer under your eyes. You will see the difference very quickly.

Yes, I think so!!! I didn't use one for the longest time, but now I'm 33 and recently started using eye cream. It makes my eyes feel nice and moisturized as well as cooler and keeps the skin looking tighter. Normal moisturizer is for hydration as much as anything, but these eye creams can really make a difference in terms of wrinkle formation. Lancome Genifique Yeux Youth Activating Eye Cream is the one I use. It is on the pricier side but works very nicely for me.

So, I'm only in my 20s but I recently started using an eye cream as well. Nivea Cellular Anti-Age eye cream is what I've been using. Have I noticed a radical difference since using it? Nah. I haven't. Does it feel nice? Yeah, actually, it does. What I am hoping is that a basic and pretty cheap eye cream like this will keep me from coming on here in 10 or even 5 years asking about botox, LOL. I see it as an investment in younger skin in the future more than anything else. Do I need it now? Nope. Will I thank myself for using it some day? Hoping so. 

Do you need an eye cream? This question is not as simple as it sounds, and neither is the answer. Most people will say you need an eye cream because the skin around the eyes is more sensitive, and different ingredients are required. It's true that the skin around the eyes is more sensitive, but any cream that would irritate the skin around your eyes is no good for the rest of the face either.

You need a hypoallergenic cream with nourishing ingredients. If the skin around your eyes is drier than the rest of your face, then yes, you need a different cream in that area, a cream more suitable for dry skin. It does not need to be an eye cream though. One important thing to keep in mind is that eye creams, unlike regular moisturizers, almost never contain an SPF. Yes, the skin around your eyes will be the first place where you will see signs of aging including those induced by sun damage, so you definitely need sunscreen there! 

If in doubt, consult a dermatologist. If you have normal, non-problematic skin though, an eye cream will not be necessary and may be harmful if it makes you forget about that sunscreen.

Wow, that's really interesting what you say about the sunscreen. I had never thought of that! I do use an eye moisturizer myself. I mean, they are on the market and that very fact leads me to believe that there is a reason for that, that they are necessary. Honestly, I do have the feeling that it reduces puffiness, especially if I have had a rough night! I'm 30. I had never considered the lack of sunscreen in eye moisturizers though, and that is a very good point. Are there ANY eye moisturizers that do contain sunscreen? I'd rather not use a separate sunscreen there, which would make my makeup smudge, I think.

Yeah, the sun protective factor, I don't think my eye cream has that, does it? You've got me thinking now, what with spring being round the corner and everything. Can I put the same sun cream around my eyes as on the rest of my face, then? Is using a sun cream better than using an eye cream in terms of wrinkle prevention then? Yikes. I'd love it if someone here could like share their favorite sun cream. Don't want one that leaves weird marks on the face, you know? Don't want it to feel all sticky either. Thanks, guys.

Yes, yes, yes! Eye creams will reduce puffiness, treat dark circles, prevent wrinkles, get rid of dry skin... and make your eyes feel the best they can feel! I always thought that this did not really matter as well, but I was wrong. I think I have been using eye cream for two years now, and as soon as I started I knew that it was something that really makes a difference. It feels completely different than your normal day cream, and tightening was apparent right away. Why don't you try it for yourself? You will know what I am talking about!!!

Celebrity

I keep finding more topics that I haven't replied to. That's why I like this place; there are always hidden treasures. I'll be honest and say that though I know that certain types of eye cream can be very beneficial for the skin, I do not use one myself right now. I take care to use my natural oils, jojoba oil at the moment, all the way up to my eyes, but not on the upper lids unless I am wearing makeup that I would like to last for longer. For dark circles, I have been using lemon and apple cider vinegar, but it is not helping much yet. The problem is with pigment though and I don't see how eye creams would resolve that.

Rosie

About natural treatments for dark circles, I was recommended to use green tea... internally, that is! I've been drinking lots of green tea, it's good for overall hydration and indeed my circles have become less pronounced with time. i am still not sure if this is a proven treatment or just a suggestion but because it did make a difference for me I thought I would tell you about it. You can also buy those eye masks. I use them sometimes and they don't make a difference long term but can make you look less tired when you most need it :).

I don't think so... 0_* I don't use that, no, and my skin looks fine. The only thing you need to do is... just make sure that the cream your using you also use it underneath your eyes. and then you will be fine. Maybe I'll want to use one once I get old and want an anti wrinkle cream with extra power for my eyes, cause thats where wrinkles get bad first, but right now no, i like spending my money on makeup better than on some creams that you can't even see, know what I mean?