Celebrity

The skin near my eye area looks and feels rather dehydrated at the moment. I am not certain what is going on because I am drinking lots of water and despite dry skin, I never experienced anything like this under my eyes before. Does anyone know of a good remedy I can try?

I am open to any and all suggestions regarding this, both cosmetic products and systemic solutions such as supplements. I generally opt for the natural when possible, but other solutions are also welcome: this looks and feels bad, and my priority is getting it sorted. 

Thanks in advance!

Rosie

Hello!

Have you tried these steps?

1. Consider if you have started any new products around the eye area recently that may be causing you irritation and drying. If the answer is yes, try stopping those products and returning to a tried and tested old fave.

2. Make sure to remove eye makeup every day, including concealer under the eyes, with a special eye makeup remover. Moisturize afterwards.

3. Sounds crazy, put petroleum jelly helps me both when my skin is dry and when the area underneath my eyes is puffy and swollen. You could give it a go?

HTH

Vaseline, really? K, I'll consider that when I have a hangover next time!!! One thing you may like Rosie since you're into the natural stuff is chamomile tea bags. That's what I say... perfect for hangovers and general puffiness. I've been using this Boots No7 Protect & Perfect Intense Eye Cream since a while back too and it works alright for me, but well, choosing these things is so hit and miss really. Good luck, hope you find what you're looking for!!!

Look for:

1. Ceramides. Vitamin E. Shea butter.

2. A good sunscreen for your eyes, and actually use it.

3. A milder facial cleanser. A lot of the time, irritations around the eye area will be caused by the things we use to clean our faces. This includes makeup removers, but also facial washes.

4. Increase water intake. Decrease intake of dehydrating substances such as alcohol and caffeine. Cut down on junk food if you use too much of it currently.

Does that help?

Have you tried the following?

• Wash your whole face with lukewarm water rather than hot
  • Avoid using products that have alcohol
  • Use rose water on the area around your eyes
  • Dab olive oil under your eyes and leave it in place overnight
  • Apply cucumber juice to the area
  • Are you getting enough sleep? Believe it or not, a lack of sleep can lead to dry eyes. 
  • Getting a humidifier

In addition, you want to apply moisturizer (for eyes) to your skin within a few minutes of washing, ideally while your skin is still wet. Make sure you choose an eye cream designed for dry eyes. 

In this situation I'd be all for dumping out everything you use on your eye area right now and starting from scratch. Different makeup remover, different face wash, different moisturizer — and choose a GOOD one, one that really does well on the heavy duty moisturizing front. How old are you? If over 40, make sure to choose an anti age moisturizer especially designed for the eyes. Go for hypoallergenic products as well, specifically made for dry skin. Hope you'll get better soon!

How about Retin-A? The intraorbital area will be where your first wrinkles show up and it does not need to mean the skin is actually dehydrated, just that the skin is thinner and this is where those lines start making their appearances first. Retin-A, which is prescription only and mainly for acne but can be obtained in OTC form as retinol, fights those wrinkles and boosts collagen production too if I remember correctly.

A good sunscreen, like the ones with zinc oxide, will protect you from dehydration, sun damage and skin cancer. Many people avoid rubbing that in near their eyes but the intraorbital area needs that too. If you start using Retin-A, your prescribing physician will make that more than clear.

I think there are tests you can do to check if your skin is hydrated properly, don't know where though.

I have noticed this myself in the form of crow's feet I often wonder whether further hydration could serve me well, and for that reason have been thinking about hyaluronic acid serums. I am not sure which ones are best or even whether they are made for use on the under eye area, but have heard good things about hyaluronic acid in general. It sounds like it most definitely has the potential to attract more moisture: much more moisture. That is a good thing, right? Hyaluronic acid may be the product we are all looking for when it comes to under eye hydration. 

Celebrity

Hey,

Thank you, PINK! I appreciate this and will definitely look into the idea of getting a humidifier. Olive oil also sounds like a great solution to this problem that I will want to try out, so I will start testing that tonight. Castor oil has the potential to cause hyperpigmentation, right? I should stay away from that? I have not tried rose water either.

Retinoids may fight wrinkles but are very drying of themselves, as far as I understand, which I assume I do because this is mentioned on every site that discusses retinoids. So I think I will stay away from those. I'm not using any alcohol containing products on my skin either.

Rosie

OK, good, hydrating eye creams... maybe Patricia Wexler MD, the intensive 3 in 1 cream? That's meant to be excellent for crow's feet for one. Olay eye regenerating cream is good for dark circles which I seem to recall you mentioned having way back? It says bye bye to pigment trouble over time if you keep using it, or so they claim, LOL. Clarins has a nice one that also has an SPF which I'm feeling could really help with the dehydration. If of course you're going for shop bought stuff right now, this should give you something to look into hon... hope it helps.

Could it be that you don't hydrate enough? I mean from the inside and outside. Maybe you are consuming too much salt, alcohol, coffee, junk food, sunbeds, sun exposure, air conditioned areas, using too much soap, or just plain not drinking enough water? Creams can be great but not even the best cream will make your skin look well hydrated if you have bad lifestyle habits that lead to constant low level dehydration. So take a critical look at your lifestyle.

In the meantime you can also put a bit of honey around your face, leave it on for 10 minutes and then wash it off. Don't rub it off harshly with a towel, just gently and let air dry.