Hi, I am father of 7 days old baby girl. I am still in shock and excited. I went yesterday to see her. They kept her in hospital for eye infection. I am very worried about this, but they told be that it is common in newborn. Is it common for newborn to have eye infection?

It happens, the first eye exam takes place in the newborn nursery. The pediatrician performs a screening eye exam to check for infections or structural problems with the eyes: malformed eyelids, cataracts, glaucoma or other abnormalities and then when the baby is 6 months old, the pediatrician should check the baby's eye alignment and visual fixation. I have case in family that newborn catch conjunctivitis through the birth canal. It all ended well.

Hi there,
Have you heard of neonatal conjunctivitis? This is a condition when the lining of the eyelid in newborn gets infected. Did they tell you if there is any swelling of the eyelids? This is also a symptom of neonatal conjunctivitis. It is usually caused by the blockage of tear duct but can also be caused by some virus or bacterial infection. The thing is that this should be treated very easily but sometimes if the infection is present for a longer period of time surgery may be needed as well. Have you discussed any more details about this problem with your doctor? There are special antiviral eye drops that are applied for this infection.
I hope this helped.