My husband is 53 years old and he had stroke year ago. I noticed recently that he increased alcohol intake. I am so worried that it may happen again. He has been severely depressed since he got stroke and strated drinking. Is alcohol use after recovering from stroke dangerous? Please let me know ...

Alcohol use after recovering from stroke could be dangerous because excessive drinking can raise blood pressure causing heart failure. Depression is common; strokes affect different people in different ways, depending on the type of stroke, the area of the brain affected and the extent of the brain injury. Talk to him about this.

Even if there is no high blood pressure issue, and the drinking is minimal, it can cause more damage after a first stroke.This happened to my husband and the Dr said it was because he was having a beer or two now and then.

My husband suffered a troke in 2007. He became a full blown alcoholic. He has gone through rehab and countless AA intervention but now and then he stll goes off the wagon.We have been married for 35 years and we always drank socially but it became extremely more excessive after the stoke even though he waas on anti depressants. He is now on a drug that is 110,oo per month which causes extreme vomiting and or sickness if he has a drink. It has been very difficult. He is 63 years old and feels like he is worthless.

I have recently moved in with a girl at university who suffered a stroke when she was very young, she is now 18 and is insistent on going out and having good time. The trouble is i have noticed that she is drinking a fair amount to try to make herself look good to the others, i'm worried that by her doing this she is going to make herself ill beyond the normal capacity of binge drinking and that she could end up in hospital. Is it ok for people to drink after having a stroke if it is 10 years on? Should i try to stop her from drinking - any ideas? xxx

to previous post, id like to see an answer to this. im 20 and had a stroke a month ago. i dont know if i can drink anything?

I have the same question.I had a mini stroke in December and i was wondering if I could still have a few drinks every few months or so?

I would also like to know, I had a stroke almost a year ago and im almost 17 now

The stroke didn't cause the feeling of worthlessness. He might have been unhappy in his job for some time. My 75 y.o. brother-in-law is 3 days out of the hospital and wants to resume cigars and whiskey. He lives alone and is a bull-headed Irishman. Your husband wants to die and needs counseling before he does something permanent. AA is very good (but not usually for seniors just starting). Celebrate Sobriety is offered thru conservative Christian churches but they pitch religion here. But YOU need to go to Al-Anon because his illness spreads symptoms to YOU.

A lesser known alternative to AA and other step or faith-based programs is SMART Recovery. The online resources are phenomenal, and there's a Monday night "Family & Friends" meeting online (the alternative to Al-Anon). The group uses as a guide, "Getting Your Loved One Sober (without nagging, pleading, or threatening)." The principles can be applied to other drug abuse and compusive, self-destructive activities such as gambling.

Face-to-face groups are available in larger markets in the US, and more common in Canada, the UK, and Australia, where there is universal healthcare (and where AA didn't get such a strangle-hold monopoly). SMART stresses self-empowerment, and there are no steps, no labels, and no sponsors. It is a positive, hopeful program. The website is smartrecovery.org.

I'm in your same position Spouse is only 55. But we're gonna try 30 day rehab or maybe longer. Do you know if 30 days is long enough for a 35 year drunk? Would make me feel better if they could maintain his Alcohol Myopathy before he does this! Thanks!

I would highly recommend not, but sometimes it does help to calm the nerves. Hang in there though you owe it to yourself and God to give your body the best and that is to stop drinking and enjoy the life you were given.

i had a stroke a month ago aswell! im so scared to go out and do stuff i wld normally do incase it happens again. if you feel the same, i cld really use someone to talk to ?

Hi I just had a stroke . ( may 2012) I realize I'm lucky to be alive . But ... Its the fatigue I struggle with . If I do something I normally would have , I'm beat for the next day or 2 . Wine , I like wine . Should I enjoy or avoid ? I'm frustrated today . How are you feeling ?

:Hi Kelly, good to read your response. i had a stroke at the end of July and me too very lucky to be alive and me too very very hard to be struggling with the fatigue. I have not been drinking as I think it really interferes with brain healing and in the past i have loved a glass or two of red wine.