i have been with my husband for 15 years now married 13...i knew he drank before i married him, but it was this bad when we met he drank but usually on weekends and not to the extent of passing out...well in the last 5 years it has gotten so bad...he won't drink when he goes to work or on the job, he will only have a few drinks when we go out because he has me in the car so he will only have a two drink max...he gets verbably abusive when drunk and blames me for all that is wrong in the house and family...when not drinking he is the most awesome loving and caring husband and father...while drinking he is rude, and has to belittle everyone arround not even the kids are safe from his verbal abuse...i have started to hibernat not wanting to go any where with him due to the fact i don't want to be emberassed by him...he chooses most often to come home from work sit or lay on the couch and drink until he passes out...i can't tell you how often i pray for him to fall asleep...i love him so much and want to help him but only he can help himself i can just be here for support...HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP i am at my wits ends...how can he find what has made him so angry inside that he has to drowned himself in alcohol...

ALONON~ It is a group that helps you to survive with living with an alcoholic. Contact your AA (alcoholic anonymous) in your area for a schedule of meetings or contact a mental health org in your area for info.

It may be ALANON instead of ALONON
Sorry~

Alcoholics Anonymous is for people who want to stop drinking.

You need to have a serious talk with him while he is sober. You need to lay the choices out very clearly. Either he stops drinking and becomes a responsible adult or you will remove yourself from the situation.

He is causing emotional damage to you and your children. Your primary responsibility right now is to your kids. I speak from experience when I say that alcoholism will destroy your family.

If your husband is willing to give up his family for alcohol then he is going to have a long hard road ahead of him.

If he is willing to get help there are plenty of programs, including Alcoholics Anonymous (and Alcohol Detoxification Programs) that can help him.

AL-ANON is support groups for people that live with an alcoholic!
AL-ATEEN is for children who have alcoholic parents.

There are numerous things that a person who lives with an alcoholic does that enables the alcoholic to drink.
AL-ANON helps you to understand what those things are and helps you to learn a new behavior to actually HELP the alcoholic refrain from being able to drink.

I said in my last post that Alcoholics Anonymous groups could put you in contact with AL-ANON NOT HELP THE PERSON LIVING WITH AN ALCOHOLIC.

I've experienced this first hand about 25yrs ago. I learned alot by going to AL-ANON meetings. I learned things I was doing that were enabling my now ex husband to drink that I had no idea I was doing.

This group is tops as far as I'm concerned. Most definitely worth a try~what have you got to loose?