My husband was a heavy drinker which led him to be physically depended on alcohol. His body is not able to functioning normally without alcohol anymore. He is 43 years old now and he drinks last 12 years. Anyway we had lots of issues and he finally agreed to except help, manly because of the kids. I just want to know is there is some standard length of time for withdrawals of alcohol?

A person who is dependent on alcohol and who then suddenly stops drinking goes through a painful and potentially life-threatening withdrawal syndrome. Some people who are dependent on alcohol who want to stop drinking must go through a LONG process of detoxification. It usually takes 15-20 years. The typical person admitted to detoxification clinics or hospitals is about 42 years old, so he is atypical case I suppose. The withdrawal syndrome seen in people requiring detoxification ranges from mild discomfort to a potentially life-threatening disorder and the severity of the withdrawal syndrome depends both on the amount of alcohol the person typically drinks and the length of time over which the person has been drinking. I am sorry you have to go through this because of him.

I've read where they say that if they take a biopsy of a heavy drinker's muscle, that they can tell up to six months after he stopped drinking that he was a heavy drinker. As for actually "beating" drinking, I've read that it's roughly like cancer - you have to go 5 or 6 years without a drink/relapse before statistically being over the problem.

The acuall pysical withdrawals your talking about tend to last about 7 days. The detour to Hell hits around 72 Hours of the last drink where heavy drinkers can experience delirium temens which is the worst part. For me It wasn't much physical shaking as it was chemical imbalance that alcohol causes in your brain some people have (Hallucanations, Psycosis, feel very Disoriented That quickly goes away in around 24 hours. He should see an MD before going cold turky.

Forget the person who said it would take 15-20 years to withdraw from alcohol abuse... that's nuts. As a medical practitioner, I am here to tell you that detoxification can occur in as little as six-seven days, God willing. Sometimes it takes longer. If your husband drank exceedingly heavily for that whole twelve years, or at least for the past two years, he might need inpatient medical care to ensure that he is adequately monitored during this process. You don't want him to try to change his life for the better by discontinuing alcohol consumption cold-turkey, only to die from a massive heart attack or stroke because he was not monitored safely. He should be taking a folic acid supplement, as well as a thiamine (vitamin B-1) supplement to help protect his brain. Some physicians believe that calcium supplements also help to preserve one's physical health during the drinking process. In all honesty, you should consult a physician that specializes in addiction recovery, if at all possible.

I certainly wish you the best.

i am going through withdrawls right now. i went to the dr. and he said tough it out. he wouldn't give me ativan because he said i would feel better and just start drinking again. possible but i am at the point where i have to quit but can't get help because i'm on probation. i am alone and scared. all i can do is take another drink and be able to function but i can't take just one and then it starts over. i feel like i'm going to die. if someone hasn't been through it, it is hell. it's a disease, we don't do it because we want to. i hate alcohol. any suggestions?

Man i feel your pain i'm going through the withdrawls as we speak feel very anxious, sweating,chills and night sweats,poor appetite, dizzy, sometimes blurred vision etc ,but yeah i can't believe that alcohol could have done this to me i never would of expected this .My docter also has me on ativan as well as paxil. I quit drinking June.8,2007 and here we are July.6,2007 and i still feel like c**p aweeeeeee never again will i drink goodluck.

Men, I was in the Intensive Care for 4 days, almost died from the withdrawals. You have to have a partner in the past to stop drinking, THE PARTNER is medication, I take Lexapro and at night, before cocktail hour I take 2-4 anti-anxiety (vistaril) pills and the urge to drink goes away and I sleep and watch a good relaxing old movie on TCMovies. I did it after 25 years drinking and drugging!
I am 44 yrs old. Time to slow down, been there, done that, enough is enough, the pain far outweighs the buzz fun you get. Are you not a man? gotta stop, WITH meds to be stable and healthy again.

I am also going through alcohol withdrawls as we speak, but this is the 3rd time I am going through this, so from MY experience, it took me 5 days for most of the physical symptoms to go away but the night sweats lasted the whole 3 months that I was sober and the other time wasn't long enough to tell. I am now actually doing the AA program and that is what is going to keep me sober THIS time. My sponsor said that the night sweats can last for as little as a few weeks or several months, it depends on how long and how much you drank.
Good Luck! and God Bless us ALL cuz it's hard!!!!!

I am going threw withdrawls yesterday I felt so bad I had a drink. I do not want to drink! Besides I know body is suffering. I have great support from my husband. I would like to go the docter and get meds but I have no health insurance.

Hate to hear of you guys going through this but on the other hand I am glad I am not alone. 

I am just coming out of severe withdrawal symptoms after a few horrible days and nights.  I've always been a drinker but the last couple of years have seen a few wild binges. 

5 hours after my last drink I started to get the shakes and sweats.  I went to bed and hoped I could sleep it off.  No way.  Too uncomfortable. 

The next night, completely sober,  I started vomitting.  I threw up like 6 times through the night.  Worse was that I was too sick to eat and there was nothing in my stomach to throw up!  Dry heaves.  Just aweful. Sweating. chills. Shaking.

The next night I didn't throw up anymore but almost did once or twice.  Still had the cold sweats but the shakes were easing a bit.  I couldn't seem to feel warm but was sweating so badly I had to change pajamas twice.  Still no food or sleep.  The next night no shakes.  Mild sweating. Was able to eat a bit and hold down water. A few fits of acid indigestion.  Actually slept for about 4 straight hours.

Today I finally feel great.  Like a million dollars.  No shakes.  No sweats or nausia.  Able to eat and drink water.  I drank so much water that my piss is turning back from yellow to clear.  Havn't seen that sober in a while.  

This was so hard.  I'm sure glad I did it, though. I'm 44 with a wife and kids.  Have to stay alive for them.

For years I thought I could learn to be a social drinker and just have a few now and again at parties.  It looks like I am not one of those lucky ones.  I always seem to want another and another and another and enjoy it so much that I just keep going.  I'll have to turn away from that part of my llife but at least I will be alive with my family.

I am just coming out of severe withdrawal symptoms after a few horrible days and nights. I've always been a drinker but the last couple of years have seen a few wild binges.

5 hours after my last drink I started to get the shakes and sweats. I went to bed and hoped I could sleep it off. No way. Too uncomfortable.

The next night, completely sober, I started vomitting. I threw up like 6 times through the night. Worse was that I was too sick to eat and there was nothing in my stomach to throw up! Dry heaves. Just aweful. Sweating. chills. Shaking.

The next night I didn't throw up anymore but almost did once or twice. Still had the cold sweats but the shakes were easing a bit. I couldn't seem to feel warm but was sweating so badly I had to change pajamas twice. Still no food or sleep. The next night no shakes. Mild sweating. Was able to eat a bit and hold down water. A few fits of acid indigestion. Actually slept for about 4 straight hours.

Today I finally feel great. Like a million dollars. No shakes. No sweats or nausia. Able to eat and drink water. I drank so much water that my piss is turning back from yellow to clear. Havn't seen that sober in a while.

This was so hard. I'm sure glad I did it, though. I'm 44 with a wife and kids. Have to stay alive for them.

For years I thought I could learn to be a social drinker and just have a few now and again at parties. It looks like I am not one of those lucky ones. I always seem to want another and another and another and enjoy it so much that I just keep going. I'll have to turn away from that part of my llife but at least I will be alive with my family.

well done for quitting,im 45 and went through similar things,i paid 8k to go through rehab only to hit it even harder when i came out! I then had to detox with no librium which was hell,and after a week ive started to eat really wel,but still the night sweats of hot and cold are with me! Also im not a believer of the 12 steps so i have to go this alone.

Good for all of you, be very proud of yourselves!! I am in the hospital right now with my boyfreind that is 72. He goes through surgeries that are not that big of a deal, and because of the alcohollism it turns into a life and death cituation everytime! (It sucks!) He is completely out of it seeing things, thinking the nurses are trying to kill him, and the other people here. Hoefully he survives this!! The last time they had to call security and tie him to his bed. the last time he had a drink was 9 1/2 days ago, he is still seeing things and hearing things. If everyone that drinks, (myself included), could see a video of him during these severe withdrawals we would never drink again!

Just hang in there.I quit drinking 20 years ago and yes even after 20 years I still think of having a drink but I know it's bad for me so I don't drink..Do stuff to take drinking off your mind..Play games on the computer.There are a lot of free games on a computer.watch tv,go for walks,take a shower.every day that goes by it will be easier .try to find a favorite soda.when I get under stress I will go for a coke.It works for me..any soda will do and eat sweets you will need the sugar..Good luck