Apprentice

Hey guys. I have a serious health question that I would like to get answer to. 

My father has been fighting all kinds of illnesses through his life. But the most recent one is the most confusing for us. So, he went to the doctor's because he hadn't felt good at all, and he told him to go and examine himself. Nevertheless, when the results came back, they came bringin' bad news; he's got high hemoglobin. So, what I would like to know is if that condition could be serious for adults and older persons in global? Thanks in advance

Hey there. I would like to tell you that there is nothing so serious to be worried about. This isn't something that can be characterized as a condition at all. You need to understand that. This is because high hemoglobin doesn't mean that there is something wrong with you. It just means that hemoglobin might not be bound to your blood as it should be. You should take your father to the nearest hematologist and sign him up for an examination and in that way you will check the whole thing out. Hopefully, there is nothing to be worried about.

Well, my friend was in a similar position as your father since he had been diagnosed with high hemoglobin. But his examination was just a coincidence, because noone examines hemoglobin in your blood on purpose. It is important to know that, if there is a condition which your father doesn't know about, it is about to show itself up if you decide to take him to a hematologist or a doctor. Older people tend to suffer from the lack of oxygen which could possibly pave the way for hemoglobin to rise in your blood. Let us know what you decided.

I can completely agree with the guy above. I have read that older population might be suffering from high hemoglobin more often than youngsters because they get themselves with lack of oxygen quite often and then the body produces hemoglobin which elevates him more than it should. Also, if your dad is a smoker, then that should explain it because smokers tend to have their hemoglobin higher than it's recommended. If he is a smoker indeed, than you are ought to make him quit cigarettes because the health of your dad is the most important thing for him now and he should know that.

From what I've read and seen, it doesn't seem to be affecting older people more than young folks, and I don't know if it's related to the lack of oxygen as well. My friend has had her hemoglobin off the charts since I have met her, but it seems that nothing significant is happening, for years now. So, it is different every time. From one person to another, it might be inflicting children just as much as adult and older population but the important thing is to make sure and verify that there is no other disease behind high hemoglobin.

I also think that it doesn't affect older people more than others. Why should it? But I have read about the conditions high hemoglobin might indicate and I must say that it is not something you should be taking for granted. If I were you, I would have taken my dad to a hematologist long ago. This could mean that your dad has a potential illness and is unaware of it yet. I would strongly suggest you to take him to your doctor as soon as possible, before it grows into something that neither you, or your father could prevent.

It is not easy to distinguish the difference between the case when high hemoglobin is acting like a symptom for something bigger and much more dangerous, and when having elevated or high hemoglobin in your blood means, well, just that. People are having issues with high hemoglobin all the time, but that is it. There is no background disease tearing people part after part, without them knowing. I sincerely hope that it's the case with your dad, that there is nothing bothering him. 

But, regardless of that, you should take him to get him examined in any way, because in that way you'll be able to determine the diagnosis for sure.