Hey everyone. My cousin called me today. She lives in Finland, she moved there three years ago. She has a dog, and he was cured from Addison’s disease three and a half years ago. He was perfectly healthy, but now, she told me that she is acting really weird. She was happy because he got “second chance” back then, and I really do understand that she lives in fear. She told me that her dog is having diarrhea and also some lethargy issues. Those are signs of Addison’s disease, I know, but I really hope that this is not Addison’s. She as an appointment with her vet today, but I am really nervous as well. I want to know, is there any way to prevent Addison’s disease in dogs? 

Hello.

There are a lot of articles about this topic. Addison's disease is a very serious health issue and it is hard to cure it so scientists are trying to explain how to prevent your dog from getting this disease. Also, your vet can consult you about the ways of preventing the dog.

I will give you a short list of things you should do in order to minimize your dog’s risk of getting the disease.

* try to keep away your dog from any kind of trauma.

* try to keep him away from toxic chemicals (like detergents for example)

* try to feed him just with natural foods (without preservatives and additives).

Addison’s is back? I am really sorry to hear this.

I never heard that this can happen :/ I didn’t believe in this :/

Mia has a point, there are so many ways to prevent Addison’s disease in dogs. I believe that the food is playing the main role in this.

Anyway, focus on feeding a healthy raw or cooked diet.

Vaccine your dog as well.

Give him some good supplements such as probiotics and omega oils.

But, I really do believe that she already do know how to treat her dog from this disease, since he had this disease before.

If she is not feeding him with raw food, I suggest her to do this ASAP! 

Hey. Sometimes, there is no way to prevent Addison’s disease in dogs. I am not pessimistic, I am just telling you what I have learned in all these years. You just can try to prevent it with good food, but you should feed him with raw, home prepared food  – this is one of the ways to prevent this disease. I am so sorry because you haven’t do this on time. Now, you have to be constantly at the vet's and I really hope that this dog will be just fine. I just don’t want to imagine how your friend feels right now. 

You wanna hear my opinion? There is no way to prevent this terrible disease. I know this girl that has a dog with Addison’s and she keeps blaming herself for her dog’s illness. I always say to her- there is no way you could have prevented it.

Whenever the vets don’t know a good prevention method for some disease they’ll tell you ‘’maintain a healthy diet’’. And that’s probably true, but it hasn’t been proven that diet has anything to do with this disease.

All you can do is to take care that your dog isn’t stressed because stress plays a great role in this disease.

OMG. Please, tell me that you are joking!

NO PREVENTION for Addison’s disease? But, why?

What now? I have so many question because I have to say that I am really scared.

So, when pet owner is diagnosed with Addison’s disease, how should you behave? I mean, can you tell me is there any way to live with this, something like some diet program as well? It is really terrible to hear this, because I was pretty sure that you can give some therapy to your pet, and that this disease will not come back – ever again.

I am now really crushed after hearing this. 

I am really, but really sorry.

I have to agree with other members, but there is no prevention for Addison’s disease. But, anyway, if your dog has this disease, I am sure that he can live a long, quality and normal life..

If this is her case, vets can treat Addison’s successfully.

But, like I told you, there is no prevention.

Dogs of any breed, of any age, any sex can develop Addison’s disease, and about 70 percent of dogs with Addison’s disease are female. Sometimes, I am really scared because there is no prevention, no matter how hard I am trying to learn a lot about it. 

Hi everyone,

I think that you can’t really prevent Addison’s disease, you can only try to reduce the risk factors that could lead to it. That would mean that you should control that your dog doesn’t get diabetes, you should search for cancer symptoms often , or treat bacterial infections.

A 100% sure prevention doesn’t seem to exist at this time, and the things I suggested would only bother your dog who, even if you do that, might get this disease. In case that your dog already has Addison’s, you should try to keep him away from stress and do some relaxing activities, that could prevent severe complications.