I need to know something about Post Traumatic Stress Vs Nervous Break Down topic. Are these two the same thing or is there difference? I heard my mother talking of these two with her friends over the phone. My father left her almost a year ago and it seems that she cannot deal with it very well. She is 57 years old and I am afraid for her. What can I do?

We must say that nervous break down is not a medical term, it is a popular term used to describe a mental disorder someone experienced. So, we could say that post traumatic stress and a lot of other disorders can be defined as a nervous break down. In your mother's case, loosing a husband has caused a stress that will probably how its symptoms in the near future. You could try and talk to her, try to ease her pain, just be there for her. Still, she might end up needing some professional help.