i usually get my period around the same time every month. this month when i was expecting to get my period i got the stomach flu a day before. it's been 2 days since my missed period. i am still waiting for my period and getting worried at the same time. could the stomache flu have affected my menstrual cycle and prolonged my period? :-(

i was actually wondering the exact same thing as you, and considering that we both had the same problem, i think the stomach flu CAN affect the cycle. My period comes at the same time every month. 2 weeks before I got the stomach flu, I had my period. now, i have it again one week after my stomach flu and 15 days early. so i basically just had two periods this month. i'm assuming it has to do with that darn flu...

I'm worried because my stomach is bloating, I'm nauseated, My sinus' are going insane, I'm having alot of bowel movements, Dont want to eat, Throwing up some times, My stomach and area near my hip is hurting, And feel like c**p. This sound like my period? or the stomach flu? or both?

I'm sure the flu must effect our bodies. Last month I wasn't sick and was two days late. I figure since I've been sick one day before - the same as you were- I think my period is due in two days now. I wouldn't stress, it totally makes sense that our sexual organs know the rest of our body isn't healthy. I'm not a doctor but that sure seems to make sense to me.

I totally think the flu does a number on our bodies. And like you I got the flu with diarrhea for a few days and was the day before my period was due. Since last month I was normal and was two days late, I figure it will be an additional two more days. I think it makes sense for our entire body to be healthy before our sexual organs do their thing.

About 2 days after I got the stomach flu I got my period a week early, and usually it is always on time. So I definitely think there is something to this. Some medical researcher should look into this...

I have missed my period by two weeks now. I got a really bad case of the stomach virus and am better now. I am married so have thought of the possibility that I may be pregnant. I took the home pregnancy test but it came back negative. I am still waiting for my period. Can anyone tell me why this would happen? does the stomach virus effect menstrual cycles that bad?

I was googling because:
I had my period two weeks ago. Had an episode of the stomach flu a couple of days ago and told the nurse I was sure that the cramping was not related to the menstrual cycle. I started my period again in less than two weeks since the last one. My periods are otherwise very regular, usually ~28 day cycle.

Looks like others have had similar issues and strangely that makes me feel better that I am not alone. Agree with a previous post in that this is a good research question. As a researcher in another medical specialty, I don't see a connection, but there might as well be! Every machine has to break down or need a little bit of repair/ oiling before it can carry on after a stressful episode I guess....

Aha! Now this makes me feel a whole lot better. I had a nasty stomach flu bug over the weekend and today I had cramping and muscle aches similar to my period pain but since it was still a week away I thought it was from the flu still. Well, surprise, surprise I go to the bathroom only to find out that my period has indeed come 7 days early. I had one of those online doctors say I need to go get things checked out ASAP (I live in a foreign country where I'm not too keen to go to an OBGYN unless absolutely necessary)... so anyways, stumbling across this to find that I'm not the only one gives me much relief to just wait a few days and see if things get back to normal. If not, THEN I'll go to the doc. Thanks for posting!

I think i have the flu. and i havent had my period yet which i was supposed to today or yesterday. and last week i was busy all week didnt go to bed til 11:30 every night. i was totally stressed out last week and now im sick. so i guess its cause of all th stress. but before i have my period i normmaly always have cervical mucus that soaks my underwear but not to much. and i dont have any on my underwear. :-(

I usually have a stomach flu before my period but this time it started the same time my period started which was so awful having cramps due to the stomach flu and menstrual cramps at the same time!
however, i wasnt bleeding as much as usual and when my stomach flu went away, my period became normal again. Although, it should only last 6 days but its now day 7 :-(
im thinking that my body just kinda halted my menstrual cycle until the stomach flu went away and now it has, my body is carrying on as normal.

I Normally get my period around the same time of the month. If I've been stressed it's just a couple days late. On Sunday I began feeling nauseous in the middle of the day and it eventually turned into vomiting, fever, headaches, knee joint pain and minimal abominable pain. The next day it just turned into a fever and headache and was done by Tuesday. But by the end of the day on Tuesday, I began vomiting again. Wednesday I was suppose to get my period, but it didn't come. For now it's only 2 days late. I have not been sexually active in the past month since my last period so I really doubt I'm pregnant. but could I be? Or do I have a stomach virus ?

The only thing that makes me glad about this is because I actually got my first period yesterday, and my lazy aunt had us babysit our sick cousin, who gave us all the stomach flu. Now I'm bleeding(and uncomfortable with it) have diarrhea, vomit frequently, my stomach clenches and I randomly ache. I'm at least glad that I'm not the only one with this problem. Anyway, I don't know if it messes up the menstrual cycle, but sometimes the muscles in the uterus contract and I end up barfing... so that's annoying. Otherwise, I haven't noticed anything out ofthe ordinary... according to what I read on the Internet.

I have the stomach flu right now AND my period. It's much, much heavier than usual. Luckily I have no menstrual cramps, just the abdominal cramps that go with the diarrhea. And the fever. And the aches. And the shaking chills. And intermittent vomiting. I just want it all to go away!

Phew! I missed my period and had the flu when it was supposed to come. That might be a possibility. Otherwise I better start saving for 3 kids in daycare o.O