For the past year or two even I have been having very VERY heavy periods I' ve been having SEVERE mood swings two weeks before my period and I get my period a different week every month.I m losing tremendous amounts of hair its all over the house (luckily I have VERY thick hair)and I bruise so easily not to mention I m depressed and I m freezing all the time. When I do have my period I feel worse and worse every month . this month and teh past few months I felt like I had the flu I even went to the doctor and got put on a antibiotic. I had HORRIBLE neck pain and shoulder pain ...my lower back hurt I had nausea a headache and I was exhausted. Day one I bled like it was day four of my cycle and for some reason I feel the worst on the last day of my cycle. I felt like i have been in a car wreck. I ts not the cramping as much as the body aches. I went to my Gyno. at the beginning of the year and he said I am suffering from PMS and told me that a low dose anti depressant and taking these horribly expensive vtamins twice a day with exercise would help. I am a mother of two small children I am 27 and I am progressively getting worse. I dont want to be on anti depressants and I cant afford those pills he gave me. WHAT ELSE CAN I DO? IS there hormone therapy I can take...My thyroid is fine I had that checked..I dont know what else to do I am driving my husband and everyone around me crazy I NEVER feel well.

Hi, I noticed that there are other women out there who also get the flu with their cycle. i was waitressing and some little kid had a hell of a cold and coughed in my face. Three days later, I was deathly sick and barking like he was, but it never went away completely.
Starting with my next period, I spent 7 months of HELL with 105 fever, sore throat, complete exhaustion, body aches, the whole nine yards-with EVERY period!
I went to see an Infectious Disease Specialist after visiting the ER AND my family doctor. All determined that my white blood cell count was extremely high and that I had Parvo virus like children normally get along with an Epstein Barre type virus which he couldn't identify (over a year after the first episode).
Got a little better after the first seven times, and actually had one good year with only slight symptoms. Now, I am beginning to feel the cycle coming back because the sore throat symptoms come and fevers are not as high but still ocurring along with body aches.
I wish I could truly get help. No one seems to know how to treat this or why it happens. I wasted thousands of dollars and still have no answer.
If anyone out there knows how to ward off the flu, please let me know.
It is awful to not be able to plan a vacation or go anywhere. I am very petite I weigh around 100 lbs but eat healthy. Don't know if it's just a weak immune system, but I am desperate.

Doctor said he has never seen a case like mine, but I am 38 and I have never had this c**p before in my life. It just started when I was 35.
It has almost taken all of my energy and I feel as though life is just not worth living like this.

Hi There!
I had my son in June 2006 and due to breastfeeding, only got my period in February 2007, the first time I got my period, it came with a fever and just me feeling really ill for 1 day, since then its gotten worse. For the past couple of months, I'm getting the flu, aching shoulders, joints, sore throat, coughing, every single month. Its so annoying, I just feel like vegetating, and this year, 2008, my hair started thinning. I cant handle being sick like this all the time but havent been to the doctor and when I did go, I just went for a flu that didnt want to go away.... I am only 28, maybe I have endometriosis, after 2 children, I dunno!!!!!
I'm not moody or anything, just when I'm sick, which is 1ce a month. This is so annoying!!! Why are there no remedies on the internet???

My mother-in-law was having this trouble, and her OB GYN, a female, told her to take vitamins C & E together. Many vitamin producers even couple the two. I am going to start doing it because I am getting sick with my period every time also.

I have also gotten very mild flu like symptoms. I had cramps for like a year at one point, had an ultrasound, blood work, but nothing was found. My GYN told me to see a family doctor!!! He just gave up. My cramps have gone
(I was very stressed out at the time) away, but now I'm sitting here feeling achey with a sore throat, headache, my hair has been falling out every Autumn (in the Fall) then it seems to grow back. I'm 45.

So I decided to look on line and found this. I'm thinking that you should look up"Women to women" they are 2 GYN's in Maine and they have a brilliant website. They really seem to care. Maybe they can give you an idea of what you're dealing with. Here is the website;

http://www.womentowomen.com/aboutus.aspx

I think they are the best around right now. I hope they are for your sake!
Good Luck!!!

A woman's immune system drops significantly all of the time between PMS to ending a menstrual cycle. I have a number of medical conditions and they always get worse around my period because my immune system is so low, and I get flu-like symptoms also. The best I can think of is to try to boost your immune system. Make sure you are eating well, exercising (which I know is especially hard to get yourself to do when you're on your period, but it helps cramps too so if you can bear through it for a few minutes it's worth it!) and taking vitamins. You don't need expensive fancy vitamins; just a simple complete once daily for women type. If I take care of myself very well during that time of the month usually I don't experience as many if at all problems. Hope this helps!

I was not aware of the connection between PMS and an immune system's integrity so thanks for the information. i'm sure a lot of others here also appreciate the info :-)

I am a 32 year old mother of 3... my youngest is 11 months. I am breastfeeding her... and got my first period about 4 months ago. Two weeks before my first period started I started getting the most awful migraine type headaches... which turned out to be hormonal. I was basically incapacitated for 2 months... the pain was so bad I could not even drive. I did what I had to do and just laid down most of the rest of the time. After going to a PT every week for those 2 months I have seen the painful headaches/neckaches subside. However... for the last 3 periods... about 2 days before I am getting the flu like symptoms. Soar throat, ears hurt, super achy and very tired. Then when I do get my period it is so heavy... a supertampon every 1-2 hours. This is crazy... I am just about in tears at least to see that other women are having this problem as well. I do have a couple of things to share that have worked on hormones for me or for a very good friend I have that is a natural health guru:

Coffee Tonic (I know this sounds weird... but it really does work... it's called chronobiotics... that is why the coffee MUST be organic)
1 cup organic brewed coffee (Sunflower and Costco sell it for quite inexpensive)
1-2 tsp. Grade B Maple Syrup
1 tsp. cocoa powder
Directions: Mix cocoa powder and syrup in your coffee cup... pour coffee over and stir... IMPORTANT... must drink between the hours of 6am-8am and then 7am-9am in the spring time change - this REALLY evened my hormones out after I had my last baby... I mean like a miracle drug... plus gave me lots of energy! It's worth a try!

Also... I am going to try a couple of supplements for hormones when I am done nursing... you can find them at Vitamin Cottage:
- Hot Plants for her
- Nature's Way DIM-plus

One last thing that has really been helping (with the hormonal headaches/neckaches) is Vitalzym... you have to buy online... it seems expensive... but they send you a HUGE bottle... you start with 5 caps 2-3 times a day and increase 1 cap every dosage until you start feeling better... I was up to 15 caps 3 times a day... and it really did change things for me... it is an anti-inflammatory and provides enzymes that kindof rebuild you from the inside out... they send a CD to listen to that tells all about these little wonder pills.

Anyway... I will keep up to date if the stuff I start in a month helps or not... keep posting if you find anything! I refuse to live my life like this for 1 week a month... it's crazy! Blessings on you all...

Hey... one more thing... I just found this link:
Very interesting... I have never heard of this!

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

I find reading this stream a relief and also concerning. It's sad to me that there are so many of us out there and we are unable to get help from our doctors and healthcare professionals. Whenever I mention this issue to my doctor and gyno, they stare at me blankly or say it's psychosomatic, PMS, Pperimenopause or whatever other thing they can throw out there.

I am in my late 40s, in perimenopause (been for a while now) but have pretty regular periods. When I felt this way when younger I was told it was PMS now I'm told it's PMS with perimenopause heading towards menopause - whatever. My symptoms start before my period and will last 2 days to a week until the second day of my flow. It's not just cramps. I get achy all over, my back, my neck and shoulders really hurts. I get really irritated and I always get cold and flu symptoms including a sore throat and runny nose. Then I get sick with chills, cold sweats, low fever and nausea. I have absolutely no energy and can sleep all day. I pray that the worst day hits on a weekend. I have a difficult time managing this at work once a month and when very bad I work from home or stay home sick. It's not a minor nuisance it has had a long term negative affect on my life and well being.
I take vitamins, I exercise, do yoga, have friends and try to keep a balanced diet and lifestyle. I take a low dose anti-depressant (wellbutrin) for this and it helped for a little while. I also had a low thyroid diagnosis which I take medication. I just spent the entire day in bed with a sore throat, light-headed, nauseous and zero energy. I am not a hypochondriac and know in a few days all will be fine. It just seems like such a waste of time. You would think with so many of us, someone would do something besides the standard lines doctor's use when they have no clue or desire to help.

I am wondering if either of you have gotten any relief or researched any solutions on this issue...I am EXACTLY the same way and it is ruining my life every month. Planning on being sick 2 weeks out of every month is not acceptable to me and I'm getting tired of it! If you have any suggestions, I would be so grateful!

I logged on expecting to find no hits but to see all these postings really helps. I have flu symotims throughout my period and so tired and have two kids to look after. No one else understands and thinks I'm a light weight but Im usually so fit and healthy its completely out of character. Im going to see my GP now as it really does seem to be an issue. Ill let you know how I go. Good luck to all in finding the cure!!

I have NEVER found anything close to help on the internet for this either, I was excited to see these posts on here. I am in exactly the same situation, have been getting SO sick 1 1/2 weeks before my period every month for a year. All the docs tell me it's extreme PMS or I'm depressed. I know they are the doctors, but when my body is physically sick and just NOT WELL, I KNOW. I KNOW there is something else going on and I am going keep on this until someone finds something, I really believe it's a sickness which is worsened by estrogen instead of depression or PMS. In July when I got my period, these horrible flu-like symptoms just never went away and I have now been feeling this way for almost 8 weeks. This is just not acceptable and is ruining my life. I finally found a doc to listen to me and he referred me to the University of Iowa Infectious Disease, supposed to be one of the best in the Midwest. I sure hope he finds SOMETHING. I pray for all of you on here who have to go through this, my heart just aches for as I know how you feel. I am so sick of my husband having to raise our daughter because I am too sick/tired everyday. Work is almost impossible to get through and the weekends are so frustrating because I'm too sick to do anything.

My advice to any of you going through this is to NOT give up when a doctor tells you it's "just PMS" or you should just get on an antidepressant without any other tests. Make them do some blood tests and see what they might find. So far, doctors have not found anything abnormal in my blood tests EXCEPT a very high ASO titer. ASO measures the amout of antibibodies to strep that are in your body. But all my strep cultures have been negative, weird. We don't know if the high ASO is contributing to this weird sickness or not, but the whole "strep" thing explains the severe sore throat, chills, aches, fatigue, etc, etc. Weird. I have done so much research on all this, I feel like a 70 year old these days instead of the vibrant, energetic, 28 year old I was just last year......

I googled my symptoms, as every few months i get suddenly sick and then get my period. i get achy, exhausted, headaches, earaches, sore throat, runny nose and nausea. think i have a cold/flu & then get my period. after the 3rd time, i knew it was my period causing all of this. thought i was alone, but my best friend has had the same issues. i've boosted my vitamins, drink vitamin water too. the symptoms have left more quickly, but still happening.