I've always had irregular periods, going up to 5 months in between each one. Sometimes it comes every month, sometimes it doesn't. This by itself confuses me. This time, however, I woke up with my period and when i stepped out of bed, I almost fell over. I have been feeling dizzy, almost like I've been drinking too much, for the past two days. Do you think this is simply becasue of the blood loss? I'm not bleeding excessively or anything, actually, I'm lighter than I normally am. Should I be worried about this?

When was the last time when you checked your blood? Maybe you are anemic and that is why this all happens to you. Generally, a normal menstruation can have several sides - effects, but that is normal. But sometimes, we need to observe it very well to see what our body is trying to tell us, what we are missing.  When you have a dizziness during your period, you should be aware that dizziness during menstrual periods is normally not a cause for concern. Also, there are several things you can do to prevent it from happening, for example, you should never skip your meals. You should drink water all the time and you should avoid sugar as well. Hope it helps. 

I'm very sorry no one said anything which solved the problem. I get dizzy too, especially today. I don't have awful cramping with it, just discomfort. Being in motion helped. I went home at 2:00 and went back to bed, which really helped.

Hi. How old are you?

For how long do you have your period? Did you ever check your blood count? You definitely should. 

A lot of girls with anemia can have this problem.

Some of those symptoms that you have to describe are classical period symptoms but it seems that your period has some problems to come.

It is not normal to have so irregular period especially if you are older. If you are younger and your period started recently, that is all normal. It takes a little time for a period to settle down and to become normal. 

Whenever you have problems with your period, it is better to check with your gynecologist whatever you want to know. 

I am 39 and have never experienced dizziness during my cycle until today. I started feeling dizzy around 7:30am and about 2 hours later my period started. I'm glad to have found this posting, I feel assured that this is probably what's going on.

I had a problem with dizziness in the past. I never noticied it was worse during my period, until I had a baby. No dizziness after first tri-mester or for a full year after giving birth then one day i am very dizzy later that day my period arrives, I stay dizzy through much of the month now but is worse during my periods and it's been a year. Many doctors.. no answers.

Could the dizziness be related to a hormonal imbalance? I think that may be the case but it is better to check all possible causes.

i have irregular periods too.. but, my doctor diganosed that i have Polysystic ovary Syndrome and that is why it happens to me. I never had dizziness during my periods before. but, for the past couple of times i got my periods, i got dizziness,nausea and stuff.. i don't know why that happens. may be my iron level is too low or something... i would suggest u see ur doctor and do a scan to see if you have polysystic ovary. if you do have it, take some medicines for it.

I am 25 years old, and had my first baby last year. During my pregnancy I had trouble in the second trimester with dizziness and fainting spells. I never had any trouble with my periods until just lately, which seems to be bringing these dizzy spells on again. I have endometriosis, but have had for many years with no dizziness.

Is this worth talking to my doctor about? Is there anything that can help them, medication or otherwise? I have been eating well, not losing an excess amount of blood, and not over exherting myself when they come on.

I have had dizziness with my period for over 7 years. Some months I am ok others really bad where I can't even get out of bed. I have had blood work done, ultra sounds,blood pressue checked during period, and there is nothing showing to be the cause. The doctor says it is the hormonal in balance. I started taking seasonique, having a period every 3 months, for a year. The periods were still very bad, dizziness, pressure in my left chest area and cramping, so per the doctor I skipped the periods all together. I felt great. Then I decided to try to have them again after approx a year to see if any better and go natural, and they were just as bad. I have now been back on the seasonique for 1 month and this would be the week I would have my period and have been dizzy all week with today being so bad, I had to leave work. If anyone knows of any natural remedies that have worked for these symptoms or any advise, please email me at _[removed]_ with the subject line period symptoms. Thanks!

Ok, I'm only 15 and today during my period, I've had pretty bad light-headedness. I started my period on Monday, and it's still going strong today, Saturday, which is certainly not normal for me at all!! I just can't seem to fully keep my balance and keep wavering about. I got a bit worried and so researched it a bit. What is usually is, is a simple iron deficiency from loss of iron in the blood. Drink lots of water and eat lots of green stuff and it should go away. I'm going to try it now! :-D Don't worry - loads of people seem to get it, so I think it's pretty normal, especially during a heavy period (but it can take place in light periods, too).

Hi:
You could be experiencing anemia from blood loss, except you said that you are not bleeding that much. Perhaps other adjustments that your body makes during your period could be causing the dizziness. You might need an iron supplement. How long does the sensation last? That might be important. Perhaps your dizziness was not related to your period. If this was a one time event, maybe you just got up too quickly. Have your weight checked. If your nutritional habits are poor, you could very well be dizzy when you wake up, especially if you haven't eaten in many hours or if what you ate had no nutritional value. Your nutritional practices would also affect your periods. That would explain the anemia without a lot of blood lose. Look at your eating habits carefully. They can affect many things, especially if your are underweight.

Well...reading all of these I am relieved a little that I'm not the only person to get dizzy before my cycle starts (going for over a year now). However...I decided to get put on bc to also regulate my cycles since they've been showing up 15 days apart instead of 28. Well, about 1 1/2 weeks into taking the pills I get so dizzy that I could not get out of bed. I didn't know what the problem was since I wasn't at the end of my bc pack so I couldn't have started my cycle yet right? Well, no..even with the pills I still started 15 days early. So I went to my doctor today to get more answers of why I'm getting so terribly dizzy right before my cycles. I was giving a blood pressure test, and it was fine. I also got my blood taken to be tested for anemia and to see if I am prego. I get my test results in a week. In the mean time I was told the problem is probably that the bc pills that were prescribed to me had a high dose of hormones in them and she didn't think I needed a high dose like that. To go along with that, my normal estrogen hormone "could" be higher than normal which is why I get so dizzy just before my cycles start. I as well still remain dizzy during my cycles, but its mild. I just can't stand it when I get so bad that I have to stay in bed. I have four kids and can't be on bed rest like that every time. I wish there was something else I could do. I was told I can get a shot that stops my cycles altogether, but we were made to have cycles so cutting them out completely I don't think is healthy either.

Hi I was having the same problem and i guess all the suggestions given above are valid - low iron levels, and intake of fluids and greens

I found one home remedy help ful
Take some fresh ginger, peel the skin and chop into smaller pieces
- grind it finely
and boil it in water untill the essence is absorbed bythe water
Filter this concoction using a fine sieve into a cup

Now to this boiled hot ginger juice squeeze half a lemon (for almost 3/4 th cup of juice)
u can add more lemon juice if u want
add 2 spoons of sugar - stir and have it hot
it immediately clears the head and relieves of the dizziness
this cna be taken during nausea - vomiting and dizziness even at normal times - i mean not just during periods

This is my mothers recipe and have found it to be my life saver many a times

gud luck
supuni

It seems many of us suffer from dizziness around our "period". I start feeling dizzy about 5 days before and then 2 day before I get a migraine. I have seen many doctors and tried many solutions with no avail. I am 42 years old and tired of feeling like I am pretending I am sick. I have missed over 14 days of work each year for the past 2 years. Please if anyone reads this and can help I will be very grateful.

Dizzy and spinning monthly.