Here's my quick story...I have been battling a "sinus" condition now for over 4 months. I have been treated for infection, allergies and everything in between. Just recently I had xrays and they came out with "unremarkable" results. They are now sending me to an ENT.

My symptoms are pretty much just pressure in my face, more over my eyes and eyebrows and my temples. Sometimes in my cheeks. I think I do have some sinus issues, but I am beginning to wonder if perhaps I have some dental/TMJ problems. I have been horrible about getting to the dentist (I have some major dentist fears) but made an appointment for next week to discuss. I have also noticed that I have a tendancy to clench my teeth a lot. Not sure if I do at night, but I really do during the day, esppecially when I am stressed out. I also have major aches and pains in the shoulders and neck.

Any thoughts? Can TMJ affect the eyes, eyebrow area? I am at a loss and have been quite scared that I am sick with some sort of disease, tumor, or something.

Thanks, Karen

I have had TMJ since i was 15 years old. 36 years is a long time to be in pain. Mine is a result from a car accident. I was a pedestrian and got hit, my face was slammed into a light pole. 5 of my front teeth were driven up into the roof of my mouth which had to be removed, resulting in 30 stiches.
Hence, TMJ. I have been given a dental sling to wear at night so i don't gring my teeth. I have headaches all the time which i take medication for and i also have neck and shoulder discomfort, which Aleve usually takes care of.
A few signs of TMJ are: Headaches, shoulder discomfort, neck discomfort, clicking popping or snapping in the jaw, inability to chew gum on that side, tearing of the eye, have a hard time with meat such as steak, pork chops etc. locking of the jaw either in the open or closed position, painful cheek and jaw area on the outside. These are my symptoms. Some severe TMJ sufferers whole face and neck area can be upset.
If the Doctor took an x-ray of your face and jaw area, he would have more than likely saw that you were out of alignment, maybe it's not what you think it is.

Hi bbfeet9,

Thanks for the response. The Dr. actually only ordered a "sinus series" and only my sinuses were looked at, nothing else. I should also mention that I have had jaw issues in the past, I just never thought that it would manifest itself this way.

A few years ago my jaw basically popped out of alignment causing horrible pain. The pain went away, but according to the dentist my jaw is off center so my teeth don't bite down in the right way. When the pain finally went away, I put it out of my mind but maybe its been slowly affecting me?

Karen

Hi Karen,
Your reply to my post sort of tells me that you probably do have TMJ. In the meantime, try some Aleve or Advil. Advil is an antinflamatory which stops swelling and painful inflammation around the jaw area. Aleve helps a little with that, but i feel it works best for my neck and shoulders. You can alternate the two.
This may sound strange but i also rub a little Aspercreme on my jaw at night, it feels better for me to sleep.
Also i find that if i rub the side of my face for a few minutes it doesn't hurt for a while. Just take your fingers and in a rotating motion, go around your jaw line and up towards your ear. I feel better right away.

Well I just got back from the dentist and he has confirmed a diagnosis of TMJ!! I think I'm a little releived actually. He showed me my xrays and helped show me how horribly out alignment my jaw is. Its pretty bad and he said that becuase I've been under a lot of stress (my stress levels increased back in March due to some personal changes) I've been constantly clenching my jaw which has made it flare up. I probably did have some sinus issues at one point, but it is most likely not the culprit anymore. He is fitting me for a splint, I have to get my wisdom teeth pulled and possibly some orthodontics at some point.

I never in a million years dreamed that TMJ could mimic sinus pressure symptoms so much. I almost still don't believe it. Another board said something about trigeminal neuralgia, has anyone heard of it? Swelling of a nerve in your face/cheek? I figured that I don't have that because I don't have severe pain, just weird sensitive pressure.

So last question, does anyone think its still neccessary for me to go to an ENT at this point to rule out other things? Or is TMJ the likely cause? Thanks for the support :-)

K

If a diagnosis has clearly been established, i would probably not bother with the ENT. But on the other hand, if your sinus problem is still an issue, it wouldn't hurt. On second thought, i know how hard it is to get an appt. with a Specialist and if you have med. insurance, you may as well go.
I wear a splint to, it really helps me. Many people are against the splint as they feel it causes more harm than good, but i can testify that is has works wonders for me.
Also, do the facial massage as i explained in an earlier post, you'll be surprised how much it relaxes your jaw.

Hi.my name us Ana, can you please tell me if you have experienced lots of balance, nausea, the feeling of being drunk? I was also diagnosed with tmj long ago but never saw a specialist

Hi Karen. Did the eye pain and pressure go away once you started treating things for the TMJ. I have TMJ and have been dealing with pain along the brow bone and behind the eye (pressure like). I've been on two rounds of antibiotics since September for sinus infections yet the pain remains. Just curious if they problem went away without having to see an ENT?

Thanks,
Eryn

Iv bn thru MRI n ct scan n no issues buty ear is still feeling full n hurting n my jaw clicking constant. I'm getting a gum shield fitted but don't k w if this will help. My tinnitus is thru the roof n making me feel so anxious x