I have TMJ pain. Is there any such thing as an herbal muscle relaxer or anything herbal that could at least help me sleep at night? I am only getting about 4 hours sleep at night and my insurance company does not cover TMJ. Any advise would be sincerely appreciated. Thank you.

I also suffer from the same thing so I feel your pain!

Get atleast 1000 mg calcium/ 500 mg magnesium per day, and take half of that shortly before bed. That will relax your muscles and actually enhance sleep.

Beyond that, I got a custom fitted mouthguard from my dentist. Unfortunately, it's sometimes not covered under insurance, so it can be up to $500. (ouch!) But it's worked very well for me. And my dentist was kind enough to let me pay over the course of a couple months.

If that's not an option, even a store-bought mouth guard should help some.

I was going through the same thing several years back. Dental insurance did not cover TMJ and specialist wanted their money upfront. When they told me I had to get a mouth splint I went to a dental school. I paid 130.00 there compare to 600.00 I would have paid at the dentist office.
Fortunately for me my dentist was okay with me doing that. I nicely explained to him that I just could not afford one.
Then I had arthoscopy to my jaw. It helped...but unfortunately the pain soon returned. I found out it wasn't TMJ at all. I have Fibromyalgia and that is one of the symptoms.
I was told that your jaw will pop and click if you have TMJ....does yours?

I know that mine certainly does, and that sometimes when I sleep on my side that I wake up and can't move my mouth very effectively. I sleep on my back a lot because of that, and it also helps me keep my skin clear because I don't rub my face and irritate it by pushing it into the pillow. :) I think it's a great idea to go to a dental school because often times you get better treatment and they can do it for a quarter of the price as you pointed out! When did you find out you have fibromyalgia?

Hi Guest,

You should check out in getting a mouth guard. I am in no way suggesting that this will be an absolute cure if you suffer from "TMJ" (Still see a doctor), but this will be a short-term solution to alleviating your jaw pain and protecting your teeth from grinding/clenching any further. Check out for affordable night guards .. good luck!

- Dave

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

So can you explain to me how this would be a good short-term solution? My issue is always that my jaw pops out of socket when my mouth is open. How would a mouth guard prevent that?