I'm placing this in this section because of "facial pain" but it may still be in the wrong section.

This is a huge letter and i'm not sure if anyone would have advice or suggestions or anything to help me but i'm in massive pain and would like to hear any comments..

I've had an on going issue with pain in my left side ear/jaw/cheek/face .. this makes the 3rd week of dealing with this. I take pain medication and anti-inflamitories for a low back problem so when this started it may have capped over the pain pills i take on a regular bases. It orginally started as pain in my jaw and teeth.. annoying throb in my teeth similiar to having bitten onto something too hard... it was annoying most of the day. the next day however it had moved into my ear and had slightly swollen just beneath the curve of my jaw. it was still a dull annoying throb. By the third day it was a steady ear ache with jaw pain that would go from dull to server. I decided to go into the doctor and have it checked as i get middle ear infections in the left a bit too easily.

I was diaginosed with an inner ear infection with fluid just behind the ear drum. I was given decongestants and a "Z-pack" for antibiotics. about 4 days later I'm even worse. The pain is now searing and extends from my ear into my cheek and jaw radianting into all my teeth and right into my chin. There's no reason to the pain it seems at this point.. it just hurts serverly on and off and is a constant throbbing pain.it crackles when i swallow or yawn. it throbs and hurts when i smile or talk.. I return to the doctors and explain the condition. They put me on a "stronger" antibiotic called avelox and nasonex and am to continue the decongestant. My ear however looks better they say only slightly inflamed. The swelling is still just beneath the curve of my jaw but is extremely tender just infront of my ear down the curve of my jaw bone and along the line of my cheek bone. I'm told to come back in 4 days if not better and to get xrays done. I return.. same condition only more painful.

My bite is now off from how swollen my jaw has gotten it's been pushed forward and to the right it seems. Eating anything is painful but it's a delayed reaction.. it starts hurting me after i finish eating.. the pain starts to go into searing mode after eating and after swallowing my medacations. It lasts a good 20 minutes if not longer nothing seems to really sedate it but laying down seems to do better than standing or sitting up. the pain is now radiateing down my left arm.. my neck is stiff achey and sore down into my shoulder. when the pain is searing my arm goes almost numb and i'm unable to really use or control it.

I'm told at this point that they don't see a problem with the ear.. he checks my jaw and says that he doesn't believe i have TMJ and that i should see a dentist. I explain that the last doctor i had visited *as this is a walk in clinic* wanted to have xrays done but he stated he saw no point in taking them and sent me off with a prescript of vicodin for pain.

So following doctors orders I move up an already scheduled dentist appointment. after xrays and probing *teeth tapping and gum rubbing* I'm sent to an endodontist and a prescription of keflex antibiotic.. more xrays and the ice chip test. I'm cleared of having any teeth problems and told I should see an ENT .that i may have "blown out a saliva gland" *which i have no idea how i could blow out a gland* or that i may still have a major sinus infection.. .I'm currently awaiting my appointment.

I had gotten one day of minimal relief from the keflex.. it seemed to lower the pain slightly after 24 hours dosage and has taken away the swelling and my bite is somewhat back to normal. The pain however has increased yesterday and today.. .. today i'm unable to really set up without constant throbbing almost searing nawing pain.. in the curve of my jaw and along the line of my jaw to my chin.. it still crackles when i swallow and reacts to after i eat or swallow a drink. the last few days i have been able to control the pain by drinking small swallows of water and delaying the "completely debeliating searing pain mode" but that only works till i can't drink any more water and then i have to set out the pain that comes after everytime i eat or drink. once going through the pain it is usually calm till the next time i have to eat or drink.. however today it's been a constant battle of pain. the pain now radiates into my temple, behind my eye and i have been having headaches that cap over the pain in my face.

i have not injured my face/ear or throat ..I have not been dizzy i have not had fever I have not felt sick ..and i have not had a loss of appitate... however eating is now a scary thing and i've tried to avoid it as long as i can..I have not had a cough or any type of sinus issue.. i am prone to allergies however i haven't had any sinus infections or issues since may. I also have excellent hearing at the moment.. infact it's a lil over sensitive and loud or shreal noises hurt. My face .. jaw cheek and near the ear is all extremely tender..my neck shoulder and arm are still stiff and hurt just as bad when i have the attacks of the more searing pains...and during these attacks my face feels swollen even my temples feel swollen and i can't let anything touch it or it seems to increase the pain even more to the point i feel i'm going to pass out.. the pain is almost pressure like.. as if something is going to explode at any moment.. *which actually might feel better than this* i'm worn out over all.. it's an effort to do anything and i feel i've been beaten with a ball bat.. hot water bottles nor ice bags seem to settle the pain and usually only send it off to throb more. opening my jaw is becoming difficult.. because of it being so tender.. looking down or to the left is painful just beneath my jaw. bending over makes it worse as well. i have had dry mouth tho i am on a decongestant and it is painful to swallow anything tho i'm trying to get as much water as i can...

anyways I have a few days until i see the ENT.. and i'm not sure what all he will want to do and how long it will take. I was wondering *with as long as this note is * if anyone has had or heard of this before and may have some way of releaving some of this pain or how to settle it out more quickly. and maybe even if someone may know what the issue is... i thank you for taking the time to read this and hope to have some helpful comments.. :-(

thank you

W.

I have the same thing. It is called Tic Doulereaux or Trigeminal Neuralgia. It is the worst pain known to man. Ask your doctor. There is medication and it often works. I wish you luck. Take care.
Terry

I just wanted to reply but I'm aware that your post was put on a while back. I just came accross this site and found it very interesting indeed. Basically I have done a lot of research on facial pain. I was looking at the interelation between pain and alcohol on another posting and came accross this one. Basically I had an onset of facial/jaw/tooth pain after a simple filling at the dentist. I was left with bone splitting pain and I've had this for 12 Years! I have taken anti depressants, epilepsy drugs and had Gamma Knife radiation treatment on the Trigeminal Nerve and also Alcohol/Glycerol injection. I have had periods of relief from treatment for anything up to 6 Months. I have been suicidal with the pain and continue to fantasise about dying as I feel thats the only time when I will be at peace and completely free of pain.
I have just had a period of 2 Months more or less pain free stemming from having accupressure treatment. I also gave up alcohol for the last 2 Months and that also seemed to help because every time I drank alcohol particularly wine it would set off instant pain!
I agree with what you said about being in pain when you bend over. ITs the same for me. It feels like the bone in my jaw is quite often going to burst open and explode. The pain varies from 3 or 4 on the 1>10 scale or as at the moment about 8 or 9! Its very difficult to live with this pain and tommorrow I'll be going back on Carbamazapine and PreGabelin.
Looking forward to replies and postings.

I know the original post was over a year ago, but if you happen to read this, please tell me what ever happened with your problem, or what did the ENT say? I've been experiencing something similar for over a year now. Your pain sounds a little worse, because youd describe it as searing.
Mine is actually on both sides of my face, jaw, and neck. (Never in my arm) I would not describe mine as searing though. Mine I would describe as a dull, sometimes throbbing ache with a lot of pressure and tightness. It's almost as if I cannot relax my face and neck muscles. It's bad enought though, that the thought of suicide has crossed my mind. Some days are worse than others. Unlike one of the other posts, mine pain actually goes away when I drink alcohol or smoke some stuff that need not be mentioned.

I've tried to come up with so many theories about the pain. I've gone to 3 doctors, which all have seemed to think it was my sinuses, although the meds they prescribed for it did not help. Interestingly, the pain all started a little over a year ago, which was the same time that I started a new job and moved into a new place. My new job entails a lot more computer work than before. I knew my eyesight was poor, so a couple weeks ago I finally go contacts, thinking this might help. It didn't. I also theorized that it was a tooth problem. A few weeks ago the dentist pulled out a decayed tooth of mine. I thought that might've helped. It didn't. I do believe that I have TMJ though, because my jaw always cracks when I open my mouth. My next step is to go to an ENT. If you read this, please let me know what happened with your problem.

Its taken me a while to post again. I have been low pain for a couple of months although it was still there. At work today I burst into tears and couldn't seem to stop crying because the pain was so intense. I had to go to Accident and Emergency at the hospital. The consultant said there was nothing that they could do and that I'd have to go to my doctor and get a referral to a Pain Management Centre. I said that I'd asked my doctor over 10 Months ago for a referral and I hadn't heard anything? So I've chased it again and who knows when I'll hear. Last October I had an IV infusion of Lidnocaine and I was due to go soon for Ketamine Infusion however it looks like it was only a consultation? I really need treatment, I can't wait months and months. Right now I can't walk without setting off stabbing and burning pains in my (right hand side) and jaw. I can't eat, swallow, shave, clean teeth or touch my face on that side otherwise it starts the attack of pain. Im waiting to hear back about this ketamine infusion which I hope might give me some relief. Thats all I want now is relief from the pain. If I can even get 60 or 70% it would be something.
Hope you're all getting some help and getting free of this awful debilitating pain?

I accidentally came back across this post this evening. I wanted to reply to the few comments i've received since posting. and first off wanted to say i'm sorry to hear about some of the longer term issues you've all been dealing with.

The visit to the ENT ended up being about three more visits - I had a cat scan done a week or so afterwards and also had the dentist grind down my teeth on the left side. However, nothing helped correct the issue. It actually relieved itself not long after having had the cat scan. Nothing showed up on the scan to indicate i had any issues at all bone or sinus wise. everything from beginning to end was inconclusive.

However, I have since been diagnosed with TMJ - my jaw pops quite loudly and almost dislocates itself now and then. The bend of my jaws and my ears tend to be tender most of the time. I still get stiffness in my neck and headaches now and then. It's thought that I grind my teeth at night, and I find myself grinding my teeth through the day and have take a moment to relax my jaws.

I have not experienced the pain i was having at the time of this posting however I had a filling replaced last month and had Novocaine injections in my right jaw - for about a month after i had several onsets of throbbing pain similar to what i experienced but not as server. For it - I took it easy in chewing and swallowing and continued taking what I normally take for my back - 1000mg acetaminophen 3x a day and mobic 15mg 1x a day - it was painful but no where near what happened before.

I hope this might help some of you with dealing with your problems and hope there has been some improvement in your states since.

Take care.
W.

I realize that a lot of time has passed but when I read about your jaw pain I wonder if you ever tried supplementing magnesium. Read up on deficiency of magnesium and get good advice on how much to take, etc. Hope this helps someone.

I've had this before and it's come back after having my jaw manipulated at the Dentist's office. I am inclined to believe its an issue with my eusthacian tube... Same symptoms, dx of TGN, blah blah.. The pain is exquisite! The guillotine is looking nicer and nicer. I go back to the dentist tomorrow and intend to get somewhere if only to my ENT again. BTW: the initial cause for me was a missed abcess that was treated as facial pain/crock of sj!t for two years and eventually devolved into true Trigeminal Neuralgia. It was found when I was referred to an endodontist for root canal of the tooth and it was then discovered that the roots had been disolved over the period that the tooth had died and began causing the problem. I don't know if it's possible to place a stent in that canal, but it sure seems that relieving that pressure buildup would also alleviate the pain for once and for all! Good luck with your endeavors to get this terrible problem fixed and please do share any new information as this is definitely not a party I want to keep having!

-Joel

i too have same pain drives me mad .my ears hiss all time had it for about 4 months ..im awaitin mri scan im convinced it a brain tumour imnot scared i will just be glad to get rid of the pain  

I had the same thing a month ago,went to Dr had infection in my lymph nodes and sinus infection after 20 days of antibiotics I am still sick, swelling comes back now and then under my chin and in my clavicle ...had CT of my sinuses waiting for results though ...best of luck to u

I am currently have the same exact pain and I went to see an ENT specialist a week ago and he told me that I am having migranes and I find it hard to believe because I cant eat without my face began feeling the pain. Some how I feel that its more than what a doctor can tell a person based on the pain that was described to them. If you hear anything from your doctor let me know so I can bring it to their attention. I am frustrated and pist right now due to being in pain.

I am also experiencing the exact same pain in my face/jaw. The only difference I have from what you describe is I do not have pain in my shoulder/arm. I have been told it was the Flu (was prescribed Tama flu) took that and it did nothing; then I was prescribed a Z-pak and have just finished that... also no relief. I have been taking just about any over the counter sinus/decongestant medicine I can get my hands on. Nothing is helping at all!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I keep harassing my doctor that something else is wrong and he keeps telling me I just need to let it run its course. I feel like I am going to lose my mind from the pain. It is nonstop throbbing in my ear, jaw, teeth, cheek, temple and most days behind my eye. Everything is on the left side, but it is beginning to radiate to the right side as well.

Did you ever get an answer to what was ailing you? I feel like my doctor does not believe me about the severity of my pain. I am hoping that if he has a name of a condition or something to go on he might check into it.

Thank you,

~Caryn

Having similar symptons 1 month after dental crown installed. Doctor put me on antibiotics, got very sick from the meds. Possible inner ear infection now, so trying different meds ( Z pak) I am scared as nothing was going on BEFORE dental work. I don't tolerate meds well and now jaw and ear area pain. WHY ????

I too had many problems with my jaw sinus and ears, after going here there and every where to be told nothing was amiss . on bending and putting head down felt fine, on tillting head back felt fine but straightening my head to look forward my jaw wanted to go sideways. i am now in the prossess of filing the offending tooth down in betweene the next 1 so that it doesnt move above the cusp or below it or to the side as this has the effect pushing my jaw forward. A personal opinion that when your mouth is numb and muscles relaxed dentists drill out , loosen and push teeth out of line, then with filling in place when your muscles want to return back to normal they cant as they are stuck in the wrong place causing strain on neck ear and jaw nerves.  I hasten to add that i never had tooth ache in the first place so why would she want to fill it?  i dont recommend that you take things in your own hands but i have had dental problems for almost 20yrs including a peice of bone or tooth jammed in the back of my jaw and ear for 4 yr until a locum at the practice i was at at the time took a look for me (bless him).the releif was instant even tho jaw was numb i felt the pressure come off the nerve.  never got anywhere with anyone including specialists, saying i was depressed but who wouldnt have been!!!!! good luck to all I have every sympathy

I have TMJ. You can have so many of all the symtoms many of you have listed. I was not okay until I went to dentist who specialized in TMJ. Once I got a special mouthpiece I don't have problems. If you do have this problem, nothing will help like the oral orthotic. I swear.