I am a college student and I often drink. 2 years ago I was able to drink about 13 drinks or shots without getting sick, blacking out, or even waking up with a hang over. Since then, my tolerance has gone down and I get drunk with a lot less alcohol. I have never thrown up at night, but recently I have been getting sick everytime I drink, but only in the morning. Also, it doesn't matter if I've only had a couple of drinks and am not even drunk. I never throw up any food or anything, just yellow fluid, maybe bile??? I was wondering if anyone can tell me anything about this?

I know something about it. When you drink a lot of alcohol, it can weaken the muscle that lies at the bottom of the esophagus. This muscle is supposed to prevent the food and acids from stomach from entering the esophagus. If the acids from the stomach enter the esophagus, it causes this awful burning and sick feeling, and vomiting bile or acids.

The reason it feels awful is because the stomach is protected from he acid by its lining but esophagus doesn’t have such lining and is easily irritated by the stomach acids.

So, after a lot of alcohol, this muscle may not work properly and there you go!!! Smoking also weakens the muscle.

I can’t explain why your intolerance occurred suddenly. I also need much less alcohol to get drunk now but it is probably due to long periods of not drinking or drinking occasionally.

I find it better this way, it is cheaper and less damaging to the health.

I have the same exact problem. I would love to know how to fix it. Sometimes I am sick for a day or two after as well.

I have had the same problem for almost 2 years now. I haven't been able to figure out what causes the problem- have you?

Hey I just wanted to say i have the exact same problem! and i really want to know whyy as well, like the last.. hmm probably 5 times i've drank (even if ive only had few drinks)the following morning i will wake up, and feel fine, but then like an hour or so later, i'm in the bathroom hugging the tolliet seat and i get cold sweats and its just unpleasant, and i puke up like.. this yellow acid like stuff, Not that i'm glad theres others who have experienced this i'm just glad it's not only me.. i wish i knew what is was.. it sucks cause all my friends come home soon and we're all going out, and i'm not going to want to drink becuse i'll be thinking about how horrible i'll feel the next day, if anyone finds anymore info on this please email me.. seriously..
thanks, and hopefully its just a stage and will pass for all of us.. take care!

**this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **

Please read our Terms of Use

Binge drinking in general can have a nasty effect on your liver, especially as a young adult. Chances are this is your body's way of saying it's had enough.

I used to be able to drink like a fish. And outlast any of my mates. Nowadays though... I am lucky to get through a quarter of what I used to go through without getting seriously sloshed.

Just lay off the sauce for now and you'll be fine.

It's not like your really NEED to drink it afterall...

Oh my goodness, I am so glad to hear that I am not alone! I get sick the morning after drinking as well, throwing up out of both ends with an incredible headache. I usually wake up feeling fine but about an hour later I start getting sick and it usually lasts a good 12 hours. The weird thing is that it doesn't happen every time nor does it matter how much I have drank. It has happen even after 2 glasses of wine. I can never predict which time it will be. Once it was so bad, I had to go to the ER due to being so dehydrated, that spell lasted 12 hours non stop. I have had so many tests and am now told that I have a sluggish gall bladder. Of course, the posts regarding alcohol consumption after having the GB removed doesn't sound promising either. I also found out that I have reflux so I do wonder if the sickness is from that more than the GB.

Keep me posted if anyone finds out something in particular. You are correct, we could all stop consuming alcohol, but I do like my wine and beer.

I also glad that I saw all this comments, it make feel better.
5 years ago I drunk all bottle of wine or 6 drink, now I every time I go out drink only 2 drinks with water, or 2 beers. GGoing to sleep , but eventually wake up feeling fine, thank couple of hours later, nauseu and vomiting that last for 12 hours. I tried drink plenty of water but it make more nauseus/ PLEASE EVERyone Who Find out what to do let me know. I want to go out with my friends and have some fun with a little bit of alchohol, but still can be functional next day.

Hello, I googled Alcohol Intolerance to find this page and couldn't believe it when I saw that there are people with exactly the same problem.

My mates have always taken the micky out of my awful hangovers and I kind of thought I just was a bit of a wuss. But over the weekend I had such a terrible experience after going out that I seriously think I may have some sort of alcohol intolerance. I drank; a pint of cider, two small glasses of wine, two pints of larger, two large glasses of wine. Sorry for the detail but I thought it might help to be specific about the amount of alcohol we're talking about.

In the morning I woke up to feel ok and then about 2 hours later vomitted for about four hours at half an hour intervals. It felt like my body was trying to expel the alcohol in a way and I'm sure it was! But this honestly didn't feel like an average hangover...

I have read that alcohol can weaken the stomach muscles as does smoking. Perhaps this is a cause? However, surely this should then happen to all smokers and drinkers alike? None of my friends had anything like the same reaction the next day. Are we getting this out of proportion? Are we just drinking too much??

Wow, I honestly have the same problem. I used to be able to drink any amount and never have a hangover, didnt matter what i drank, then all of a sudden I could have 1 drink or I can have 10 and I am puking bile for a day or 2 every hour, does anyone know how to fix this yet? its horrible

Well, I have the same problem.
I have talked to a doctor about it and he said that its nothing to do about it but he couldn't give me a name to search additional help so I just know its something about the possibility to metabolize alcohol.

But it really a big problem for me.
To everyone who don't think it is, please go out with your friends for 5 years and don't drink a drop. THEN you are allowed to speak!

WOW i cant beleive i found people with the exact same problem.. years ago i used to be able to drink alot and be fine.. now after a few drinks, (i wont even need to be drunk the night before) i will be so sick the next day throwing up until well into the evening... The hang overs that i experience are unbearable... i cant drink anymore after them. Even when i try and drink like one cooler or two shots i will feel like throwing up immediatly after

what is wrong with us?

So I googled this topic as well and i'm pretty surprised to see how many people are going through this. I'm 21 and I have been drinking since I was 15. I think around 17 the vomiting started. I also do not have to drink much to vomit but to be perfectly honest the 8 hours of vomiting the following morning usually occurs after a big night of drinking. BUT NOT ALWAYS. Oh man it gets so bad sometimes. Last weekend after a night of drinking I was puking every 20 mins for about 6 hours.. And then I'll get soo tired fall asleep, and I wake up and I'm fine. It's really weird.

I too have had this problem. Sometimes I can drink a bottle of whiskey by myself and be fine. Other times I have a single beer and I will literally puke bile for 14 hours. At least if I got drunk I can understand a hangover, but these bile episodes don't require drunkeness.

Yeah its great to see i'm not the only one suffering from this.I love to go out and have the crack but i can't because of the way i suffer the next day.after about 6 or more drinks i'm guaranteed the vomiting the following day.i can't eat til its all out of my stomach.I usually no when the last of it is up going by the colour,almost a bit of an expert in that area now.I'm not a regular drinker but I would like to be able to go out and enjoy a few beers without having to write off the following day.