I noticed that sometimes when I drink I have rectal bleeding. I am worried about this a lot. I asked around and no one experienced rectal bleeding from alcohol. I noticed when I don’t drink there is no blood. Please, can anyone tell me why do alcohol beverages cause bleeding?

Well, alcohol beverages does not cause bleeding directly, but alcohol can interfere with maintaining optimal health of blood vessels by damaging proteins and weakening blood vessel walls. When blood vessels lose structural integrity, bleeding can occur and then alcohol increases excretion of important vitamins and minerals. As such, people who drink alcohol beverages have increased nutritional needs of the B vitamins, magnesium and zinc. Another thing is the effect alcohol has on the liver; alcohol can increase the work load of the liver by 10 folds. This can interfere with the processing of harmful by-products naturally produced by the body. Alcohol damages proteins and it can also damage proteins that keep the liver functioning optimally.

I had been curious about this myself for awhile and wasn't sure who to ask or where to find out the correct info. I feel as though it isn't a good sign. Not sure how much help the answer was, but it's good to know that I am not the only one out there with this intriguing problem. Love to get a doctor's advice about this.

I have suffered this for nearly 15 years, took me a long time to admit
it was being triggered by (modest) alcholol consumption.
Ive had all sorts of tests over the years and the basic diagnosis is Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS).
However IBS is not a specific desease or condition, its a generic name for what doctors call any bowel condition, when they dont have a specific diagnosis.
There is a lot of frankly confusing and contradictory material written about
IBS and how to treat it, ranging from relaxation tecniques to diet.
There are a lot of sad people desparately trying to find a cure.
Very few people with IBS report rectal bleeding, at all, let alone associated with alcohol.
My cure was simple, I stopped drinking and all my symptoms vanished.

HOWEVER rectal bleeding is one of the symptoms of much more serious bowel conditions, so if you havent already done so, I suggest you see you
doctor to be on the safe side.

I was wondering if anyone could help me..

I have had the same thing ( bleeding when i have had a drink)
I hate to admit this but i do drink a lot. well most evenings about 6-10 whiskeys.
I haven't admitted this to anyone as i don't have to have this. sometimes i don't drink at all.

I have noticed over the last few weeks of cramps and anal bleeding, with clots..

Is this a result of the drinking or could it be IBS . i wanted to find out some info before going to the docs.

Can anyone help?

I have the same problem. My GP says I have IBS, but I do worry, when I have alcohol, I sometimes experience this bleeding. It is new very red blood. I have amitriptyline (25 mg) which is excellent for the pain of IBS, but causes constipation. although the blood almost always comes after alcohol, it is a worry. The pain has been constant for the past 18 months! I'm only 27

I notice the same symptoms when I drink and I was also worried, but it don't happen all the time.
So I trace back a day or two what I took different or what I ate or take that I dont usually take all the time and most of the time is when I took some kind of medication over the counter or prescription or even vitamins.
So look into that.

I've the same problem. And if I don't drink for 4-5 days it'll go away. Then after drinking for a few days in a row it'll come back. Sometimes pain and cramping are associated. I tend to think the above analysis is correct as I have been checked out and confirmed to have some hemroids. This is likely what is bleeding. There is a family history or irritated and sometimes bleeding hemroids. I do need to continue to get the hemistats done to watch for some of the more dangerus causes of rectal bleeding but for now I find my best treatment is to avoid alcohol. Granted the world is a shitty place without a good drink to relax with but I suppose its better shitty than blooded shitty. Probably best if I don't drink anyway.

If it is visibly red blood on the paper it is most likely Hemorrhoids. Also, mainly common with drinking spirits. If you have to drink make sure to include a lot of water especially just after your last drink. I found out the bleeding is the least of your worries when you drink, its the stuff you can't see happening that is the worst.

I've been having this for a while now too. It gets really bad after having a drink. Today I nearly fainted from the sight of it. I do drink a lot. I'm 25 and I don't know anyone else who has this! I guess it would be sensible of me to get it checked out with a doctor.
Urgh.

I have experienced vaginal bleeding after drinking heavily the night before. I've tried to research this, but too embarrassed to bring this up to my GP as I know they will say "stop drinking" which is fine. I don't drink all the time, you know just got carried away at a party type of thing, but I am a bit worried about it. It's the third or fourth time it's happened.

I have experienced the same thing and it freaked me out. In fact, I did experience bleeding this morning after drinking way too much wine yesterday/last night. I did some research and found out that hormones - especially estrogen - play a significant role in the effects of alcohol on women. Even moderate amounts of alcohol have been shown to increase estrogen in both men and women. Women's physiological responsiveness to alcohol varies at different stages of their menstrual cycle. Hormones and estrogen = menstral cycle. Right? I was just finishing up my period and thought I was done but had really bright red spotting this morning. It HAS to be because drinking too much raised my estrogen levels. I would say that this explains it - I'm sure both of our doctors would say to stop drinking so much and would probably be right, but as long as it's just occasional then you should be okay. If it keeps up, then you may want to consider checking for fibroids or whatever but it sounds to me like its situational. That's my two cents - hope it helped.

i am also a drinker and drink heavy at times. i have noticed blood in my urine and in my bowel movements. I went to a urologist to find out why, the blood in my urine happens after sex sometimes and just recently i noticed some in my b.m. i like alot of people posted noticed. this was caused from large amounts of alcohol. the urologist said every thing looked fine but i may have prostatis. which is an infection that can reacure, but is cleared with antibiotics. or even worse possible bladder cancer.

have had this problem for years now
drink spirits everyday 8 drinks .
when I take time off the booze it stops or if i eat heavily before
indulging. thanks

This is a very distressing condition. I've been experiencing the same symptoms myself for a couple years now. I've been seeing my physician regularly and I've made some concerted efforts to figure out what it is and what's triggering it.

The bleeding is trigger anytime I drink more than than 5-6 glasses of beer or wine in any given day. This is rock solid consistent. If I do that much drinking in one day then symptoms invariably appear the following day with the severity of the bleeding (bright red with some clotting) being proportional to the amount I drank.

An earlier post mentioned vitamins which I take a lot of so this may also be considered a triggering event.

My physician suggest both hemorrhoids and anal fissures as the most likely causes. Both of these are a direct result of the weakening of the blood vessel and intestinal walls.

The good news is that all I have to do is stop drinking and the symptoms vanish. A cryin shame I'll admit but better than bleeding out on the pot that's for sure.