After experiencing often arrhythmias, we made my brother visit a doctor. He was diagnosed with congestive cardiomyopathy. I sort of understood that it is an inflammation of a heart muscle, which leads to impaired function. I would like to know what could go wrong if this condition was not treated. Thank you in advance

You have already mentioned arrythmias that had occurred. Heart's electrical conduction disturbances could also appear. In the case of congestive cardiomyopathy, heart cavity is enlarged and stretched and the heart is weak and doesn’t pump strongly enough. Blood moves slowly and blood cloths may form in arteries or the heart. These blood cloths can be very serious. They could form pulmonary emboli in the lungs, cerebral emboli in the brain, or renal emboli in the kidneys. Treatment may involve anti-clotting drugs, antiarrhythmic drugs, artificial pacemaker if heart blocks develop, etc. If these treatment don’t help, a patient may need a heart transplant. There could be other complication, but to cut the long story short, you should talk to your brother’s doctor. S/He
Should tell you everything about your brother’s condition.