I write you about my father’s eyes. He is 70 and he has had difficulties in the watching since last year. Doctors agreed that he has catarac and suggested surgery. It is not dangerous operation, so we all know that is the best thing to do. My father is still healthy and very active and he took operation without problems. But, few months later, he started complaining that his eye is cloudy again. Should it be this way?

Catarac surgery is usually simple operation. Majority of people, who had it, go home on the same day. There is no bleeding or complication in the most of the cases. Soon after this surgery, people usually can read books or write without problems, which means that effects are very positive and improvement in eye functions are obvious. That happens in most cases. But, it is also possible that your father has one condition, which is known as “an after-catarac”. That is possible to happen when people have extracapsular surgery. That problem is usually solved with laser and that is painless process. So, again – that is nothing special to worry about. I hope that your father will be able to read for many years.

Should a individual have to wait for the catarac to ripen to a certain point before surgery is recommended?