Hello. I'm 23 year old male and I would like to find out more about some vision problems.
You see, I'm asking this because my mother, who’s had a cataract surgery lately, started to complaint about some floaters in her eye vision. She had problems with her vision before and only operation could help her. Artificial lens is implanted in her eye and her diopter disappeared and vision significantly improved.
To be honest with you, I don’t know anything about this and I would like to hear is this common complaint after cataract surgery or this needs to be investigated more.
What should I do?

Hello. I know some facts about this and I will gladly share them with you. First I will tell you the exact definition of floaters.
Floaters are actually tiny clumps of gel or cells inside the vitreous, the clear jelly-like fluid that fills the inside of your eye.
What are the reasons of these floaters to occur? For most people, floaters occur as they grow older. The vitreous humor thickens and clumps as we age. It is a common cause of floaters, and it is more common for people who have undergone cataract operations.
So, now you know that this is common complaint of patients after this type of surgery. You should know that most spots and eye floaters are merely annoying but harmless and in most cases require no treatment.

I went through catarac surgery in Oct 2005 and since then been having the worst time with floaters. I, unfortunately deveoped an infection after surgery which happens in a 1 - 3 % chance but here I am now without an infection but with the most annoying black floaters and circles many times during each day. I am fortunate in that I am not in pain now only some cramping when the floaters continue non-stop for hours at a time. Some have faded but I still can repeat performances from the really black black dots that seem to project on objects if I am looking at them. I think I would have preferred to have my vision limited then having these things constantly crossing my sight. Hopefully, they will fade.

Hi! Thanx for your reply. It’s good to hear from someone with experience!
My mom is still complaining about these floaters. Do you what are the odds they would disappear and how long could that take?

I heard that floaters and flashing lights may be a sign of retinal detachment as one of the possible complications! Do you know anything about that? Thank you

I just had cataracts removed from both eyes. I had a lot of floaters in my left eye but they disappeared within one week; the left eye has only had one floater but it is still there and it has been 4 weeks yesterday since surgery. I called the doctor's office and the woman who answered my call (not a doctor) said that her own mother had floaters for three months and that it was normal and not to worry about it. I can see better than I have in years and a floater is a small price to pay to see again.