I am obese and I know what I am telling you. I know very well how BMI is normal and sad true what I have in reality. I am trying to deal this problem for many years but nothing helps me. Now I have a question what causes obesity? I think this is first thing I have to know and then maybe I will success in fighting this problem.

Logically, people gain weight when the body takes in more calories than it burns off. Those extra calories are stored, but the amount of weight gain that leads to obesity does not happen in a few weeks or months. Being obese is more than just being a few pounds overweight; I believe you already know this. Obese people have usually been getting more calories than they need for years, so this problem lasts much longer then you might thought. Genes are small parts of the DNA that people inherit from their parents and that determine traits like hair or eye color. These genes can play an important role in this weight gain and obesity as well. Some of your genes tell your body how to metabolize food and how to use extra calories or stored fat, so wrong genes could be cause for obesity in some cases. Some people burn calories faster or slower than others do because of their genes, and obesity can run in families. However, how much is due to genes and how much to diet habit is hard to determine. In most cases, weight problems arise from a combination of habits and genetic factors, but also certain illnesses, such as thyroid gland problems causes for people to be obese.

I have a truthful answer for you
Fast foods cooked foods and processed foods are a major influence in obesity. Cut out these foods as much as you can and the weight should start coming off. Cut out sugar as well as white flour, breads and cereals with added synthetic vitamins.
oh and diet drinks dont help people lose weight as a matter of fact the sweetener causes one to be hungry. Read up on aspartame
Wish you the best