Hi All... I have a query regarding metabolism role in weight issues. I heard as low metabolism leads to weight gain, is this a myth or truth?If you people have any knowledge pertaining this, please let me know.

Health Advisor

Hello, Xzavier.

There are strong connection between metabolism and body weight because metabolism determines the rate at which body converts food and drink into energy.

Metabolism represents biochemical process in which calories we put into us are combining with oxygen to release an energy which our body needs to function. As you already know, our body needs energy during all day because even unconscious actions require energy, such as breathing, growing cells, adjusting hormone level,...

But, scientists give advantage to food and drink intake and psychical activity over metabolism. They are saying that these two facts determine your weights.

You can try to boost your metabolism by eating less and mixing zinc and protein in your nutrition. But, if you want to lose weight the best way is to exercise. 

Hope it helps. Cheers!

Hello Levar85… Thank you so much for your concern, as I knew our metabolism goes down by taking fewer calories. But here you said “You can try to boost your metabolism by eating less “. I heard when we are consuming low calories, our metabolism will go down and by the result we will gain unwanted weight. Give me any clarification please.

Health Advisor

Hello again, Xzavier.

From my opinion, if you eat less, your body will try to compensate lack of energy from the fat.  I assume, next time when you eat, food will be digested faster, because now the body "knows" where the energy source is and that means metabolism will be boosted. After short time of eating less you can roll back onto usual meal regime. Of course, proper entry of calories is essential for weight loss. 

That's just my opinion. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that's some logical point. Do you agree with me?

But, after all, I must admit that there is, probably, some threshold for intake of calories bellow which we mustn't go. Maybe that can cause opposite effect to metabolism? 

I personally do not believe metabolism plays any role in weight loss. Whatever you got stock from the birth canal- well thats your metabolism and thats all there is to it. If you want to lose weight, you have to use your legs. People do dance classes, some guys hit the gym. But studies have shown that for men, working out the legs raises testosterone- and guess what? It does the SAME for women - yea, testosterone. Women have much less than men, but the increase improved sex drive, weight loss, energy levels, etc...

I know this is true because I read it in a medical journal, but I also am a runner - who used to be a hardcore gamer. If you run, you will lose weight. Thats all there is to it - go running, just go do it. Do it everyday without any days off. It does not matter if you run for 5 miles, 10 miles, or half a mile like me when I started. Just GO. After three days, you will think ohh Ill take a break - DONT. Even if day four you run for like 3 minutes and then leave. JUSTGO.

I promise you, this will drop your weight.

Hi Levar and BigBobby... First of all I have to say sorry to you both. You both had given quite opposite answers regarding my query, I am totally confused by your answers.. Sorry

hey xzavier,

this is how it works basically everyone based on height and weight have a BMR in which it gives an approximate number on how many calories you should be taking in in one day.

the formula is BMR= (your weight) x 10kcal/lb. which is basically your weight x 10 calories per pound. This will give you the amount of calories you should be eating in one day. you go over, you may gain weight. This is an extremely rough estimate and the only person who can let you know your true BMR is a qualified trainer or a registered dietician.

so to your question how does metabolism effect weight? well...

someone with a higher metabolic rate will burn more calories than someone with a slow metabolic rate and will not burn all these calories and it will be stored as "fat".

A lot of factors can change your metabolism such as your age, health, sometimes even medication may mess with your thyroid and metabolism because of hormones.

Good news though! If you are younger aerobic exercise is a great way to get your metabolism going if you are older a study shows that strength training will help. But generally both are a great way for you to lose weight as muscle burns more calories than fat. The more muscle you have than fat the higher your metabolism!

There is also foods that are suggested to boost metabolism I suggest googling them if you want to give them a try (i.e.: cinnamon & garlic, hot peppers, green tea etc)

I hope this helps if you have any questions let me know.

Hey... Thank you so much to all for giving your time to answers my queries.

Andlovesaidn0... By you, in addition to my answer I have got more info regarding BMR. Any ways I am 31 years old, shall I go for aerobic exercises. Please let me know.

Thank You.

if you are comfortable with it then absolutely.

Health Advisor

Hello again, guys.

Yes, our answers are quite opposite but, as I stated, it's only my opinion based on 15 years of amateur sport activity. 

I also agree with Andlovesaidn0 that you go for aerobic exercises. Metabolism or not, the best way to lose weight is exercising.

Go with some amusement sports. I, for an example, prefer table tennis. It's great for fitness and making new friends, too. 

Levar85… I am not saying you are wrong, I just confused two opposite conversations. I am here to know more about diet, fitness and other health issues. I am sorry, if my words hurt to anyone. Dude…Really I am very glad to be here with all of you for your suggestions and concern. As you said, I’ll give my time to sports but instead of table tennis I’ll go through tennis.